Ties... who wins?

Pinstar

Ringtailed Regent
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I've had this happen more times than I'd like to remember. Researching a technology that enables a religion only to have it say somebody else founded that religion. What mechanic in the game determines who wins ties?

One thing that seems to happen (on Noble) is that if I'm Gandhi and move before I found my first city (but still found it in 4000) is I'll lose the race for Hinduism on the turn I reach Polytheism. In other words, the game seems to count that movement as half a turn.

That's funny... I don't think I've ever lost a wonder or a religion on the turn that I'm supposed to found it - 1 turn prior, yes, but not on the same turn. I didn't know that could happen.

That's funny... I don't think I've ever lost a wonder or a religion on the turn that I'm supposed to found it - 1 turn prior, yes, but not on the same turn. I didn't know that could happen.

I've already lost a wonder like that. Not sure about how it gets decided though between the two (or more) people going for it... Maybe the one with greatest production surplus after the wonder construction / beacon surplus in after the research's complete? Even so, there could be another tie, in which case there must be a mechanism that somehow chooses between them...:crazyeye:

There are no ties.

This is a turn-based game, not real time.

When you end your turn in single-player, the actual "turn" hasn't ended yet - the other civs need to go. You're just the first in a line of many civs.

Just because you have 1 more turn to complete a project, you're not guaranteed to finish it... the other civs (remember them? :) ) still need to perform their parts of the turn.

Usually when you lose your wonder with 1 turn to go, it probably means that another civ "already" had 1 turn to go last turn, and was merely waiting for you to perform your next turn, along with any other civs before it so that it could claim its prize.

:goodjob:

@ Grimus:

Well, you've said it all. I feel so stupid right now... :lol:

Touche! :spear:

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I've had this happen more times than I'd like to remember. Researching a technology that enables a religion only to have it say somebody else founded that religion. What mechanic in the game determines who wins ties?

There aren't ties, it's a turn based game - you possibly were skipping through turns rapidly and the messages hadn't caught up yet?

All it means is that the AI researched it the turn before you.

Actually, the player has the advantage given that they "go first".

@ Grimus:

Well, you've said it all. I feel so stupid right now... :lol:

Touche! :spear:

lol... I just have my nice moments every now and then to make myself look like I know something. At least I knew about this and was able to enlighten you guys. Believe me, I'm not the Civilization guru either. :lol:

There are no ties.

This is a turn-based game, not real time.

When you end your turn in single-player, the actual "turn" hasn't ended yet - the other civs need to go. You're just the first in a line of many civs.

Just because you have 1 more turn to complete a project, you're not guaranteed to finish it... the other civs (remember them? :) ) still need to perform their parts of the turn.

Usually when you lose your wonder with 1 turn to go, it probably means that another civ "already" had 1 turn to go last turn, and was merely waiting for you to perform your next turn, along with any other civs before it so that it could claim its prize.

:goodjob:

However, simultaneous turn multiplayer can't work like that, so it works on greatest surplus wins.

No, it works by turns. Civ is turn- based game and at start engine decides players queue.

CIV developed from board game, so imagine that you play board game with another friends. Your play first at turn, but after you is more players to play their own turns. When last of them complete, new, "big" turn for all players begin. Imagine that last player is finishing wonder. Now imagine that first player is finishing too- actually, he already play his turn, but his wonder is not complete yet. When new, big turn begins, first player gets wonder, last player bites the dust... ;)

there are many of similar topics, use search to find other explanations... Some are different, but it is 100% sure that overbuilding has nothing with this...

it goes by turnorder(ie who is on top when the game starts) not by overflow...

No, it works by turns. Civ is turn- based game and at start engine decides players queue.

CIV developed from board game, so imagine that you play board game with another friends. Your play first at turn, but after you is more players to play their own turns. When last of them complete, new, "big" turn for all players begin. Imagine that last player is finishing wonder. Now imagine that first player is finishing too- actually, he already play his turn, but his wonder is not complete yet. When new, big turn begins, first player gets wonder, last player bites the dust... ;)

there are many of similar topics, use search to find other explanations... Some are different, but it is 100% sure that overbuilding has nothing with this...

it goes by turnorder(ie who is on top when the game starts) not by overflow...

I'm 90% sure there is no turn order in simultaneous turns multiplayer, so it can't go by turn order. I'm also 90% sure that what simultaneous turns uses is overflow.

Seem to me like interlocking turn order.
When the AI attacks my city, i cant upgrade any units before it attacks again next turn.

So it has goes last this turn (attack, my units get xp), followed by going first next turn /attack before i could upgrade), so i cant upgrade.
Otoh, i can, during the first combat is resolved, put other units in that city.

So, while my first and only axemen is just graphically destroyed by an infantry, i can put a longbowman inside to keep the infantry out.

Its very strange.

Ive also turned ties into wins by slaving/chopping the last turn to produce overflow.

Seem to me like interlocking turn order.
When the AI attacks my city, i cant upgrade any units before it attacks again next turn.

So it has goes last this turn (attack, my units get xp), followed by going first next turn /attack before i could upgrade), so i cant upgrade.
Otoh, i can, during the first combat is resolved, put other units in that city.

So, while my first and only axemen is just graphically destroyed by an infantry, i can put a longbowman inside to keep the infantry out.

Its very strange.

:confused:

You and I are playing different games sir! ;)

That's most definitely not how it works on my computer.... nor for what I know, on anyone elses! :D Perhaps you are playing a simultaneous turn version?

Either that or your explanation isn't clear..... bit confused here!! :crazyeye: ;)

azzaman333 said:
I'm 90% sure there is no turn order in simultaneous turns multiplayer, so it can't go by turn order. I'm also 90% sure that what simultaneous turns uses is overflow.

No, even with simultaneous turns in multiplayer the building phase is not simultaneous, only the movement phase. In simultaneous mode the civs still have a specific order (the order they were listed in when you set up the game), and this is the decider in the event of a tie.

There are no circumstances where the overflow makes a difference in the event if a tie. The overflow theory was disproved ages ago. Whichever civ was listed first when you set up the game wins in the event of a tie, period. This will be the human player in single player mode unless you deliberately change it, and will be the host in multiplayer.

I was wondering what ties the OP was talking about, nvm :D

On a related note:

Does anyone miss the advance warning that you used to get in Civ3 (and Civ2? I can't remember) when the AI was about to complete a wonder? I do. :(

No, even with simultaneous turns in multiplayer the building phase is not simultaneous, only the movement phase. In simultaneous mode the civs still have a specific order (the order they were listed in when you set up the game), and this is the decider in the event of a tie.

There are no circumstances where the overflow makes a difference in the event if a tie. The overflow theory was disproved ages ago. Whichever civ was listed first when you set up the game wins in the event of a tie, period. This will be the human player in single player mode unless you deliberately change it, and will be the host in multiplayer.

Then that sucks and should changed. Simultaneous turns should mean that the order civs are selected in makes no difference.

OK, think of it this way:

Every civ has a turn in 4000BC. Your turn is January, then another civ is February, March, etc.

Then every civ has a turn in (say) 3970 BC. Again, you're in January, etc.

Top Bottom