Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION IV > Civ4 - Strategy & Tips

Notices

Civ4 - Strategy & Tips Discuss your Civ4 strategy and tips with other players.

Old Nov 13, 2007, 07:18 PM   #1
JBossch
King

What does Sea level do?

Pretty self-explanatory question. What does the sea level option on the custom game screen do? Does it affect the number of rivers or something?
JBossch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 08:02 PM   #2
Sisiutil
All Leader Challenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBossch View Post
Pretty self-explanatory question. What does the sea level option on the custom game screen do? Does it affect the number of rivers or something?
Not really, it seems to have more of an impact on the size of the land masses. Lower sea levels = larger islands/continents.

My current favourite map is archipelago with snaky continents and low sea levels. Lots of good-sized land masses of interesting shapes with plenty of choke points and several canal options. Fun!
Sisiutil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 09:11 PM   #3
Leventis
Warlord

Another thing sea level influences is whether or not you are able to navigate your ships around the poles of a continent. Low sea level means there is more land, ice, tundra etc in the polar regions, and its possible your ships will be unable to travel around the continent. This means you are forced to send them the long way around, and can be annoying if you want to meet new civs or get the circumnavigation bonus. With high sea levels, you will rarely, if ever, encounter this.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 10:18 PM   #4
martin026
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisiutil View Post
Not really, it seems to have more of an impact on the size of the land masses. Lower sea levels = larger islands/continents.

My current favourite map is archipelago with snaky continents and low sea levels. Lots of good-sized land masses of interesting shapes with plenty of choke points and several canal options. Fun!
I have given this a try also. Rather enjoyable and a bit different.
martin026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 01:58 PM   #5
Gooblah
Heh...

I agree. My only problem is that even if sea level is Medium, the odds of isolation are pretty high. I played as Alexander for a reason, dag it! But it also gives turtlers and REXers a fair land mass to start with. Mine had most of the resources. Also, barbs develop similar to a Terra map, since most of the tiles are ocean and will be unexplorable till Optics rolls around. Thus, relatively advanced barbarian lands (past Feudalism) can be found.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 02:58 PM   #6
Sisiutil
All Leader Challenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooblah View Post
I agree. My only problem is that even if sea level is Medium, the odds of isolation are pretty high. I played as Alexander for a reason, dag it! But it also gives turtlers and REXers a fair land mass to start with. Mine had most of the resources. Also, barbs develop similar to a Terra map, since most of the tiles are ocean and will be unexplorable till Optics rolls around. Thus, relatively advanced barbarian lands (past Feudalism) can be found.
Not to mention late goody huts that could be popped for Astronomy!

(A slim chance, I know, but that's what makes the game fun!)
Sisiutil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 03:01 PM   #7
Fetch
When in doubt, reboot.

basically, it increases/decreases the ratio of water to land on a map. Think of it as turning on massive global flooding that never goes away, thus taking away land.