News: WOTM 15 Pre-game Discussion

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter

WOTM 15: Gandhi

This game MUST be played in Warlords patch version 2.13, as modified by BtS version 3.13. We will NOT accept any games played under any other patch versions, and you can't play it in vanilla (plain) Civilization4!

Any Windows players who have not installed BtS will need to update the relevant DLL files in order to match the Locked Assets checks. These are available here

Further, it MUST be played using the latest version of HOF mod for Warlords. This is currently version 2.13.001

One exception: Mac players will play in Warlords 2.08 with HOF-Mac-2.08.005, and do NOT require the changed DLLs.

The starting screenshot is here (Click for larger version)

Game settings:
Civilization: India (Leader: Gandhi. Traits: Spiritual & Philosophical)
Rivals: 6
Difficulty: Prince
Map: Oasis
Mapsize: Standard
Climate: Temperate
Water level: Medium
Starting Era: Ancient
Speed: Epic
Victory Conditions: All enabled
Other settings: No city razing.[/b]

Gandhi:
Gandhi is Philosophical and Spiritual; starting with Mining and Mysticism. With the Philosophical trait, the Great People birth rate is increased 100 percent. and the University doubles its production speed. Spiritual receives no anarchy period when switching state religion or civics, and receive a +100% production bonus when building temples.

Unique unit: Fast Worker replaces the normal Worker, and can move three tiles per turn.

Unique building: Mausoleum (Constitution). The Mausoleum replaces the Jail, and gives +2 happiness.

Adventurer Class bonuses:
  1. Start with a free Fast Worker (on the same tile as the settler)
Challenger Class Equalizers:
  1. Start without any techs.
  2. Start without the warrior.

The DLL files linked in the first post are required by all Windows players who do not have BtS installed.

Click the link to download a .zip file and unzip it. You will have a folder containing the following structure:

Find the corresponding Assets folders in your Civilization IV folder and its Warlords subfolder, and move the existing CvGameCoreDLL.dll files out and into a safe place in case you need to revert to your previous configuration.

Move each CvGameCoreDLL.dll file from the unzipped set into their corresponding Assets folders to replace the ones you moved out.

Cool :goodjob: New WOTM.

I've seen so many names patrolling the GOTM forums over the last 24hours "patiently" waiting for this. :D

I suppose it's nice to know that your work is well appreciated (and anticipated!).

Just to clarify ... is this the pre BtS 3.13 version of 2.13, or the post 3.13 version?

Or to ask differently ... is it the same or different than what ran WOTM 14? If it is post 3.13, then don't we need an HOF 2.13.002, since 2.13.001 ran the pre 3.13 for WOTM 14 IIRC?

Or am I totally confused? :confused: :crazyeye:

dV

Addendum: Oh, and do these dlls solve the Steam and Gold edition issues (which would mean we are not the same as WOTM 14?), or not yet?

Great, I was almost beginning to despair! ;)

Settle in place or 1E? I'm leaning towards the latter, since it likely brings more river tiles into the BFC, and also seems to have a few more hills for better production.

Could you tell us what the world wrap is? Please.......

Not that I'm not thankful for what the mapmaker has already provided for us:thanx:

For those people curious about Oasis map type:

From Sirian's map guide
http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/reference/map_scripts_guide.php#oasis

Oasis
Regional Map: No world wrap
Land-Heavy Map: 52 plots wide, 32 plots tall, at "Standard" map size
Neutral Zone: Nobody ever starts in the desert region in the middle of the map.
Teams Alternate: Lowest team number starts in the south, next in the north, etc.
Assymetrical: The south gets more arable land but fewer resources.
Nile-Style Rivers: There are always four rivers, running randomly from south to north.

Resources Anywhere: Cow, Coal, Copper, Uranium
Southern Resources: Dye, Fur, Gems, Silk (rare!), Sugar, Banana, Deer, Pig, Rice
Northern Resources: Horses, Marble, Fur, Silver, Spices, Wine, Sheep, Wheat, and seafoods.
Oasis-Region: Aluminum, Corn (abundant!), Iron, Oil, Stone, Gold, Incense, Ivory

In Single Player: You will always start in the south, unless you use the Advanced options and swap your team number with the first AI listed (or similar action).

Anyone have a test game? :)

Just to clarify ... is this the pre BtS 3.13 version of 2.13, or the post 3.13 version?

Or to ask differently ... is it the same or different than what ran WOTM 14? If it is post 3.13, then don't we need an HOF 2.13.002, since 2.13.001 ran the pre 3.13 for WOTM 14 IIRC?

Or am I totally confused? :confused: :crazyeye:

dV

Addendum: Oh, and do these dlls solve the Steam and Gold edition issues (which would mean we are not the same as WOTM 14?), or not yet?

Sorry if my first post is not clear on this. I've tried to think how I can paraphrase it. Let's try again:

- Windows players play this game in Warlords version 2.13.

- It must be Warlords 2.13 as modified by a BtS 3.13 installation.

- For Windows players who have not installed BtS we have provided the DLL files you need to swap to make your Warlords compliant, and my second post gives fairly detailed instructions on how to do this.

- Windows players will need to have HOF-2.13.001, which is the same version as was used for WOTM 14.

- Mac players will operate as they did for WOTM 14. No changes are required, because they have no version 2.13 or BtS to contend with.

Our objective is to enable players with or without BtS to participate. We also hope that Gold and Steam players will be able to join in. So this is a "small" experiment that has added flavour, as I built *all* the start files on my Mac :)

I hope this makes it clearer?

[PS] I didn't create the map, that's Gyathaar's work. I only built the files.

Anyone have a test game? :)

Ask and yee shall receive :)

Same disclaimer as usual, All tiles should match the screen shot. Starting location is in the South as advised by Jimmy Thunder

Attachments

• WOTM 15 contender test.CivWarlordsSave
    31.9 KB · Views: 120
  • WOTM 15 adventurer test.CivWarlordsSave
    31.9 KB · Views: 107
It would be very helpful if a few people with different software configurations could try loading this file. Its map and scenario are NOT related to the WOTM 15 start file, but it is locked to the same set of Windows assets. So if you set up your Civ4 configuration in accordance with the above requirements, and then load this file up successfully, you should be good to go with the real thing.

Please let me know how it goes.

Looking forward to this.
Sticky?

I'm liking 1E of the starting position at the moment despite losing the fresh water bonus, it's a nice city with what appears to be 4 hills, plenty of forest, 2 food and 2 lux in the fat cross.

However, I think I might move the warrior SE to see what he reveals, and then see if 1 SE for the settler looks better, with a view to the second city 1N of the cows to take the resources lost in the move. It's unlikely to pay off I think.

Further to my post #10 above.

Given that we are breaking several acres of new ground with this game, I shall not release the saves until I have some feedback from players who have tried loading up my test file, and hopefully succeeded.

It would be very helpful if a few people with different software configurations could try loading this file.
Please let me know how it goes.
It goes OK. :goodjob:
I'm running with BTS installed and updated to the latest patch. The warlords dll was saved from after the BTS update and restored before loading the save. I was running with the old dll for compatibility with WOTMs.

Oh, and many thanks for the work. It really is appreciated.

Ask and yee shall receive :)

Same disclaimer as usual, All tiles should match the screen shot. Starting location is in the South as advised by Jimmy Thunder

You rule... I'll be sure to put you on my Christmas list! :)

After I get done testing Alans stuff, I'm playin'!

EDIT: Well, I thought I was going to help out. Stupid burner at work (or the operator) didn't copy the upgrade file. No way I'm waiting 40 days and 40 nights to DL it with dial-up...

It goes OK. :goodjob:
I'm running with BTS installed and updated to the latest patch. The warlords dll was saved from after the BTS update and restored before loading the save. I was running with the old dll for compatibility with WOTMs.

Thx, that's helpful. Means your DLL is the same as mine :) Mine came from a Civ4 Complete installation. Now I need to hear from someone with a non-BtS installation plus the new DLL - if there is such a person. And if a Gold or Steam user can try that would be a bonus ...

Looks like a great start....hopefully not too great, because it is prince after all. 1E looks like the way to go. Gl all!

Moving SE will put you on a river, which is certainly one of the 'Niles' flowing north. That might be an option, too. There's plenty of room on this map, and I'll want to place the cities well. On crowded maps I sometimes compromise placement just to get enough cities to make a decent start. Losing one turn just to get a look around might be OK.

Just noticed no city razing, I'll be interested to see if anyone can get a conquest victory before reaching the domination limit.

Perhaps that's a variant for those expert warmongers around here...

Top Bottom