Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION IV > Civ4 - General Discussions

Old Feb 10, 2008, 07:34 PM   #1
Infantry#14
Emperor

Wild Animals, what benefits should they give you?

I think wild animals should give benefits in addition to military promotions. By killing them, they should give you a one time bonus of food to the nearest city. Wolf gives 1 food, lion and panther give 2, and a bear gives 3. Also, this is pretty accurate of how early humans drove many species of wild animals into extinction.
Infantry#14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 07:42 PM   #2
Synsensa
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infantry#14 View Post
I think wild animals should give benefits in addition to military promotions. By killing them, they should give you a one time bonus of food to the nearest city. Wolf gives 1 food, lion and panther give 2, and a bear gives 3. Also, this is pretty accurate of how early humans drove many species of wild animals into extinction.
Or it could increase granary stocks. So, say, your granary stock is at 0%, and you kill a wolf, your granary stock would go to 10% or something.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 08:11 PM   #3
Starkow
Baby Thor

Back in 4000 b.c, storing meats was not exactly common knowledge... and killing a pack of wolves would probably give enough meat to last a few days, before it either goes bad or is eaten. So I doubt that it would have a huge effect on a city's growth when we're talking about what, 100 or so year turn sets?
Starkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 08:51 PM   #4
Infantry#14
Emperor

well, the city can immediately eat the food and eat nothing else for 100 yr so that the food from agriculture can be store?

Edit: Also, this gives tropical and tundra cities early growth boost as farming in tundra is impossible (in Civ 4) and take forever to chop jungles after iron working.
Infantry#14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 08:58 PM   #5
Ur_Vile_Wedge
Prince

I doubt that early on, the ability to transport the food outside of say, your "turf" (i.e. culture borders) to people who would eat it would have existed. And since animals never enter a civilization's culture borders...................
Ur_Vile_Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 11:13 PM   #6
vb1
Chieftain

hmm
I dont think wolf meat is actually very edible
Besides wolves only attack humans when they are famished i.e. in winter
During that time they will be very skinny anyway, and hardly provide anything.

Bear on the contrary, very tasty and fatty meat.

So killing a bear could provide food bonus
Killing a wolf or a lion should provide more combat strength (i.e. maybe an extra combat promotion after killing a number of them).
vb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 03:46 AM   #7
King of Town
Adventuring

on oregon trail (and we all know that this is the standard everything is measured against) killing an animal about the size of a wolf gave you about a week ot two worth of food, and considering those early turns constitute hundreds of years sometimes it doesn't make sense that it would give you any kind of bonus. Count it towards feeding your scout/warrior.
King of Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 05:37 AM   #8
Refar
Deity

Animals already give you XP

However i like the "Extra Food idea". Perhaps with different revenue for different stuff and more animals (Mammott) . Tho the impact on gameplay would be smallish, and probably not worth the extra coding...

And please, dont take offence at it... but the "Realistic" arguments for/against it are just hilareous.
CIV is not a realistic simulation ("What!!! I want my money Back!!!" ) You can chop wood 3 tiles outside your BFC and get the credited - just to get started...
Refar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 07:08 AM   #9
MMV
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.highland View Post
Or it could increase granary stocks. So, say, your granary stock is at 0%, and you kill a wolf, your granary stock would go to 10% or something.
so consequently, if you LOST the battle against the animal it could ROB you of granary stock - or make you consume MORE of your granary stock since you lost the additional food-source/animal kill?
MMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 07:35 AM   #10
Jedoc
Warlord

This might be a cool mechanic to mod in, if it's possible. I'd recommend a mechanic similar to chopping...the closer to the city the animal was, the more food it provides. This would prevent both blatant exploitation and the incongruity of getting a food boost from your scout halfway across the continent.

Of course, then there's always the possibility of a "cannibalism" civic that lets you do the same thing with barbs and enemy units...bwah ha haa.
Jedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 09:31 AM   #11
bestbrian
Just this guy, ya know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedoc View Post
This might be a cool mechanic to mod in, if it's possible. I'd recommend a mechanic similar to chopping...the closer to the city the animal was, the more food it provides. This would prevent both blatant exploitation and the incongruity of getting a food boost from your scout halfway across the continent.

Of course, then there's always the possibility of a "cannibalism" civic that lets you do the same thing with barbs and enemy units...bwah ha haa.
CHILD: "Mom, I want ice cream"

MOTHER: "No dessert until you've finished your Hun"

*WHEN THE TOUGH GET GOING, THE WEAK GET SCREWED*

Economic Left/Right: 1.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.18
bestbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 12:49 PM   #12
LlamaCat
Emperor

Fall from Heaven mod has one of my favorite features... with the right technology discovered, the hunter/scout units will capture animals when they win a battle against them. so then you can bring those captured animals back to your cities and if you build a Carnival in the city, you can construct a lion cage, tiger cage, wolf cage, etc. and it gives +1 happiness for every cage you add to the carnival.
LlamaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 12:59 PM   #13
lordqarlyn
Warlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb1 View Post
hmm
I dont think wolf meat is actually very edible
Besides wolves only attack humans when they are famished i.e. in winter
During that time they will be very skinny anyway, and hardly provide anything.

Bear on the contrary, very tasty and fatty meat.

So killing a bear could provide food bonus
Killing a wolf or a lion should provide more combat strength (i.e. maybe an extra combat promotion after killing a number of them).
Yeah, I have had bear meat, yummy but fattening.

It would make sense to have a small boost in granary stocks if you kill a wild animal near by. This would be reflected historically as the larger predators were pushed to extinction while human habitats expanded.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 05:53 PM   #14
Starkow
Baby Thor

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Town View Post
on oregon trail (and we all know that this is the standard everything is measured against) killing an animal about the size of a wolf gave you about a week ot two worth of food, and considering those early turns constitute hundreds of years sometimes it doesn't make sense that it would give you any kind of bonus. Count it towards feeding your scout/warrior.
Way to totally copy what I said.
Starkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 06:22 PM   #15
paulthebug
Warlord

[QUOTE=lordqarlyn;6480045]Yeah, I have had bear meat, yummy but fattening. QUOTE]

yeah, we chinese believe that bear palm is one the the most delicious exoctic dish around. i tried it once, but didn't find anything special about it...

on the other hand, tiger meat is truely something though.
paulthebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 03:22 AM   #16
King of Town
Adventuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkow View Post
Way to totally copy what I said.
I referenced oregon trail, my argument was much more complete!
King of Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 07:50 AM   #17
CivDude86
King

LOL

If this was like Oregon Trail scouts would die of dysentery.
CivDude86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 08:07 AM   #18
MMV
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivDude86 View Post
If this was like Oregon Trail scouts would die of dysentery.
not to mention rabies, lyme disease, and a boo-boo tummie
MMV is offline   Reply With Quote