C-X-X-C or C-X-X-X-X-C?

Sashie,

Check my Byzantine victory save in the COTM48 thread as well as the France save in Cbob's Achtung Panzer... They didn't use CxxxxC exactly... but both used a rather wide-spacing I'd say and both came as rather convincing demi-god victories.

"So, metros are better because they teach you by handicapping you?"
I guess you might read it that way, but you've REALLY missed the point.

No, I got your point, I was just joking around. I was deliberately skewing what you said to tease you. :)

Sashie,

Check my Byzantine victory save in the COTM48 thread as well as the France save in Cbob's Achtung Panzer... They didn't use CxxxxC exactly... but both used a rather wide-spacing I'd say and both came as rather convincing demi-god victories.

Thanks for the tip. Could you please provide a link?

I personally find Demigod to be well out of my "comfort zone" when using CxxxxC. Winning goes from "routine" to "surviving" :lol:

Which is probably why I play emperor most of the time.

Of course you are all debating the wrong question

CXXXXC or CXXC leads to sloppy thinking as the cities have far more space if the X's are diagonal rather than orthogonal. Squares per city is far more descriptive, as you can have regular patterns which have 3 (orthogonal ICS) 4 (knights move between cities) or 7 (diagonal ICS) 8, 9, 12 or 16 where the closest city is CxxC. Having each city at most 3 squares away from a few others means that units can move between cities in one turn, which is an advantage. With an average spacing of 9 cities per tile you can manipulate the tiles so that half have 6 and half have 12, so only half need freshwater.

For claiming territory CXXXC is quickest as the middle X can be bridged without any cultural builds if you place the cities correctly

the sharing of a cow or wheat between two towns is only an issue during the early expansion phase. It may gain you 4-5 pop points one turn earlier in the secondary town. This translates to two settlers two turns earlier or four workers one turn earlier each than would otherwise have been possible without the sharing of the cow/wheat.

Sorry to be dumb, but exactly how can you get a town to share a bonus resource with another? Is this done from the F1 DA screen or what? Whenever I click on a tile, left- or right-, nothing happens. So what gives? Thanks.

To share a resource between two towns, you need it to be within the territory of both towns. Then have one town work that tile on one turn, and just switch it to the other town on the other turn. Double-click on each town to control which tiles that town's citizens will work.

This is more an exploit than a strategy.

it is neither-nor.
it is no exploit because it is just too obvious that changing the tiles the towns are working is exactly what the game wants the player to be able to do.
it is no strategy, because it is simply operations if you decide to play that style, which is called "micro management". i am sure you have read about it on this forum already.
:rolleyes:
t_x

It is normal if it's used properly, yes.

It is an exploit if you are not just moving the tiles the towns are working but using the same tile for two towns in the same turn.

I'm not sure it's possible to double-gather food from the same tile in a single turn, but if you could I think that would widely be considered an exploit. (There are intra-turn exploits possible, but I think mainly you get the benefit of high food tiles and high prod tiles, not double of any given FOP.)

But I often share high-food tiles between towns and alternate which town gets the food bonus in any given turn. For a simple example, if one town has 3fpt surplus, then one out of every 7 turns (without granary) it can let another town borrow that tile and both towns grow faster. 3fpt with granary you can share the tile out 2 out of 4 turns. It can make a difference, especially in the early game.

Naturally the shared tile has to be within each town's workable tiles.

I'm not sure it's possible to double-gather food from the same tile in a single turn, but if you could I think that would widely be considered an exploit. (There are intra-turn exploits possible, but I think mainly you get the benefit of high food tiles and high prod tiles, not double of any given FOP.)

But I often share high-food tiles between towns and alternate which town gets the food bonus in any given turn. For a simple example, if one town has 3fpt surplus, then one out of every 7 turns (without granary) it can let another town borrow that tile and both towns grow faster. 3fpt with granary you can share the tile out 2 out of 4 turns. It can make a difference, especially in the early game.

Naturally the shared tile has to be within each town's workable tiles.

Yeah, exactly.

I barely know what exploits are there in Civ III, I don't look for them so I don't know if it's possible neither.

I think I misunderstood the "to share tiles" Elephantium mentioned, but it seemed so obvious the Jibilov's question that the only thing which crossed my mind was to share in the same turn.

To stay in the topic, one thing most needed if you are doing CXXC for the core, some of the cities may not be able to grow til 12, so you will probably gonna need to change tiles between the cities for them be able to grow without starvation and without compromise the shield production.

:)

Interesting topic.

I'll add a +1 for CXXC with a slightly spread out flavor.

I like to play the large earth scenario and Feudalism + CXXC + Pop Rushing rampantly lets you quickly build a pre-commie empire and "spread the whipping sadness around."

- optimizing tiles for food rather than production required -

Everything is dependent on your goals and how you expect the game to play out, but in most cases I plant in a CxxC-CxxxC blend that plans to operate well regardless of whether or not I get hospitals. Also consider using temp cities in the early game. That's for competition though, and if I was playing a more laid back game on demi-god or lower opponent the CxxxC pattern would be preferred.

On the discussion about sharing tiles I posted a separate thread explaining the sharing scenarios if anyone is interested. Didn't want to hijack the thread. https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/sharing-tiles.616328/

Top Bottom