Gen. Rommel's Mighty Unit Emporium - A Unit Preview Thread

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU 2.66 GHz, 2GB RAM.. perhaps I could help you render? I just have to get around to installing Poser one of these days..

Another potential assistant! Excellent! I'll try to do it at my friend's house first and see how effective that is. If it doesn't turn out as a reliable solution, than I shall definitely call upon you guys to help me.

I'm pretty sure my biggest problems right now are:
1) my processer is overheating since the air ventilator is kicking the bucket
and
2) my RAM levels are simply too low!
Yes those are 2 big problems the other thing to look at is your graphics card.

Intel(R)
Celeron(R) CPU 3.20GHz
3.20GHz, 512 MB RAM

I'm pretty sure my biggest problems right now are:
1) my processer is overheating since the air ventilator is kicking the bucket
and
2) my RAM levels are simply too low!

1st solve the over heating problem or you won't have a computer long. If alll else fails turn it off, open it up and use a vacum cleaner to suck out all the dust.
the air ventilator is kicking the bucket
huh??? Is this the cpu cooler you are talking about? The fan in the powersupply? A case fan? Or is the AC in your home going out?
If it is the cpu fan, you can add a 2nd fan for like 10 bucks or less which can move air across the cpu to help the dying cooler work longer.

On the ram, skip 2 pizzas and you will have enough for an upgrade. I suggest 2gb. For most computers this can be had for around 30 to 50 depending on the type of ram.

Your CPU is "ok", worry about it after you got the cooling and lack of ram sorted out.

1st solve the over heating problem or you won't have a computer long. If alll else fails turn it off, open it up and use a vacum cleaner to suck out all the dust.

huh??? Is this the cpu cooler you are talking about? The fan in the powersupply? A case fan? Or is the AC in your home going out?
If it is the cpu fan, you can add a 2nd fan for like 10 bucks or less which can move air across the cpu to help the dying cooler work longer.

On the ram, skip 2 pizzas and you will have enough for an upgrade. I suggest 2gb. For most computers this can be had for around 30 to 50 depending on the type of ram.

Your CPU is "ok", worry about it after you got the cooling and lack of ram sorted out.

Yeah, I'm finally going to get around to doing thise (i.e. buying the necassary components to get my computer into a tolerable state). And your right, the parts are actually not that expensive, and to be honest, that hasn't been what's been keeping me from doing it. Much rather, the question of where to best buy the parts. I don't want to spend money on a part that I'm going to be forced to take out again in a couple of weeks because it was from a shoddy company.

Sorry, I can not give advice on where to buy in Germany. I find it a PITA to get the stuff I want in Norway as well.

Fans: just get a decent 92mm or 120mm case fan from Pabst.
ram: brand is important here as quality varies... I like Corsair the most.

Sorry, I can not give advice on where to buy in Germany. I find it a PITA to get the stuff I want in Norway as well.

Fans: just get a decent 92mm or 120mm case fan from Pabst.
ram: brand is important here as quality varies... I like Corsair the most.

Thanks, I'll definitely take those tips into consideration when I make the purchase! :goodjob:

Corsair is good RAM, fans are really inexpensive. There is another possibility on what may be causing your overheating. If the thermal paste that was used on the heat sink is shoddy it may have dissipated. I had that problem one time and now only use Arctic Silver II.

You know I'd love that!!! Those books usually have the best references (usually more historically accurate than the Pegaso Models I usually use).
Turns out I already scanned a few for Xen almost four years ago, so those are already up on the server. So that's a few less scans for me. I also realised that my Arthur and the Anglo-Saxon Wars and The Age of Charlemagne would have a few Germans in there as well. To top it off, I took some early medieval pics out of my German Medieval Armies 1000-1300 book. If you want more, I've got the rest of that book and the next one too.

Classical (Roman Imperial) Period

For starters, here's a B&W picture from Philip Matyszak's book, The Enemies of Rome: From Hannibal to Attila the Hun (London: Thames & Hudson, 2004), p. 165.

A1: Rider armed with framea, two javelins and a bronze belt knife; A2: Suebic warrior armed with late-Celtic La Tène sword, dagger, and would carry several javelins into battle, just as are carryied by A3: Suebic warrior in naught but a breech-clout of natural wool, a Celtic shield with barleycorn boss, several javelins and maybe a knife.
Spoiler :

--by Gerry Embleton, from Peter Wilcox's Rome's Enemies (1): Germanics and Dacians (Oxford: Osprey, 1982).

C2: Marcomanni/Quadi Chieftain; C3: Upper-class Marcomanni/Quadi Warrior; C1: Ordinary Suebian tribal warrior, with javelin, sax and an old-pattern shield.
Spoiler :

--by Gerry Embleton, from Peter Wilcox's Rome's Enemies (1): Germanics and Dacians (Oxford: Osprey, 1982).

Migration Period (Fall of the Western Roman Empire)

Well-equipped Allemanic comitatus
Spoiler :

--by Angus McBride, from Simon MacDowall's Germanic Warrior 236-568 AD (Oxford: Osprey, 1996), plate A.

Burgundian chieftain receives pledges from young nobleman with retinue
Spoiler :

--by Angus McBride, from Simon MacDowall's Germanic Warrior 236-568 AD (Oxford: Osprey, 1996), plate B.

D1: Gothic heavy cavalryman; D2: Gothic infantryman
Spoiler :

Mixed Cavalry/Infantry Fighting
Spoiler :

--by Angus McBride, from Simon MacDowall's Germanic Warrior 236-568 AD (Oxford: Osprey, 1996), plate D.

E1 & E3: Gothic-type Foot Soldiers with possible tatooing, bunches of javelins, saxes, longer spears, long swords, battleaxes, bows...; E2: Unarmoured trooper with spear, several javelins and a long single-edged sword.
Spoiler :

Frankish warriors with angons, franciscas and the funny side-braids & top-knot hairstyle.
Spoiler :

--by Gerry Embleton, from Peter Wilcox's Rome's Enemies (1): Germanics and Dacians (Oxford: Osprey, 1982), plate F.

Wounded Germanic warriors
Spoiler :

--by Angus McBride, from Simon MacDowall's Germanic Warrior 236-568 AD (Oxford: Osprey, 1996), plate E.

Assorted Germanic armament
Spoiler :

--by Angus McBride, from Simon MacDowall's Germanic Warrior 236-568 AD (Oxford: Osprey, 1996), plate C.

Goths cross the Danube, 376 AD
Spoiler :

--by Angus McBride, from Simon MacDowall's Germanic Warrior 236-568 AD (Oxford: Osprey, 1996), plate I.

Visigothic follower of Alaric (as an infant, would have crossed the Danube; has lived and fought within Roman borders ever since)
Spoiler :

--by Angus McBride, from Simon MacDowall's Germanic Warrior 236-568 AD (Oxford: Osprey, 1996), plate F.

Mounted Ostrogoths under Attilla fighting dismounted Visigoths
Spoiler :

--by Angus McBride, from Simon MacDowall's Germanic Warrior 236-568 AD (Oxford: Osprey, 1996), plate J.

B2: A Goth of Attilla; attire somewhat influenced by Sarmatians and Alans
Spoiler :

--by Angus McBride, from David Nicolle's Atilla and the Nomad Hordes (Oxford: Osprey, 1990)

Gothic champion seeks single-combat (and gets it from a Roman Armenian; both die)
Spoiler :

--by Angus McBride, from Simon MacDowall's Germanic Warrior 236-568 AD (Oxford: Osprey, 1996), plate J.

G1: Anglo-Saxon Chieftain; G3: Better-equipped Anglo-Saxon warrior; G2: Ordinary Anglo-Saxon warrior/farmer.
Spoiler :

Germanic Invaders of Britain
Spoiler :

--by Angus McBride, from David Nicolle's Arthur and the Anglo-Saxon Wars (Oxford: Osprey, 1984), plate B.

Dark-Age Europe (Frankish & Saxon Kingdoms)

Frankish Warrior; the Franks have conquered France, and were extending their power into Germany and Italy at this time.
Spoiler :

--by Angus McBride from Simon MacDowall's Germanic Warrior 236-568 AD (Oxford: Osprey, 1996), plate l.

A3: Lombard Cavalryman
Spoiler :

--by Angus McBride, from David Nicolle's The Age of Charlemagne[/b] (Oxford: Osprey, 1984)

B3: levied Frankish peasant armed with primitive war-scythe
Spoiler :

--by Angus McBride, from David Nicolle's The Age of Charlemagne[/b] (Oxford: Osprey, 1984)

C3: Saxon Infantry Levy; well-armed for a peasant!
Spoiler :

F3: Northumbrian Thegn
Spoiler :

--by Angus McBride, from David Nicolle's Arthur and the Anglo-Saxon Wars (Oxford: Osprey, 1984)

G1: Ottonian Infantryman; G2: Ottonian Cavalyrman
Spoiler :

Northmen in Britain
Spoiler :

--by Angus McBride, from David Nicolle's Arthur and the Anglo-Saxon Wars (Oxford: Osprey, 1984), plate G.

English at Hastings
Spoiler :

--by Angus McBride, from David Nicolle's Arthur and the Anglo-Saxon Wars (Oxford: Osprey, 1984), plate H.

Germany in the Middle-Ages

A1: German knight on foot; A2: Bohemian infantryman
Spoiler :

--by Graham Turner, from Christopher Gravett's German Medieval Armies 1000-1300 (Oxford: Osprey, 1997)

H2: Lotharingian miles
Spoiler :

B1: German knight; B2: Lotharingian foot soldier
Spoiler :

--by Graham Turner, from Christopher Gravett's German Medieval Armies 1000-1300 (Oxford: Osprey, 1997)

C1: German knight
Spoiler :

Holy crap! That's a heck of a lot of pics Mithadan! Not that I'm complaining or anything. In fact, while browsing through them a bit, I found some extremely interesting and stunning pics, which I'm sure will be useful for helping me pass the time when the need arises. ;)

Thanks for posting them, I will try my best to tackle as many as possible hehe.

Alright, I was actually not going to use that shield design for the footman Teutonic unit at all. Actually, the footman unit will look mostly like this guy here but with a much simpler shield design:

Spoiler:

The shield design he's currently using is actually for a totally different unit. I am going to make a Teutonic rider knight, based on this model:

Spoiler:

And I WILL be making this unit exactly as in the pics. I am making this unit for myself, so I will not be compromising the artwork look (I love the way it looks and the colors make it very vivid, which is much to my liking). I will consider making a more historically accurate version, however, but that's still in the future anyways, so don't worry about it yet. That should clear anything about the Teutonic knight out of the way for now.

I'd much rather have a unit made that more people would use here, so I'm glad to hear about the shield. But I am also glad you're making the second unit full of colour and horns, even if not historically accurate. It's always nice to have some fantastic units made as well as historical ones. Keep up the great work, and lets see some animated previews.:)

Alright, this unit is ready for animations and then rendering! Tell me what you think of the finished model's look.

I may have invested too much time in this unit, but it kind of grew on me.

Should I continue posting previews or will you guys kill me for continually posting preview pics while neglecting to upload any actual finished units? ;):crazyeye:

Top Bottom