Why is Marijuana Illegal?

Seriously, it seems ridiculous for it to not just be illegal, but categorized as a schedule 1 drug, above the likes of opium and morphine. How many people have OD'd on Mary Jane? Alcohol and Tobacco are much more dangerious and have killed thousands, including my father and my brothers father. No one I know has died from smoking it. It should be legalized, or at least de-criminalized, taxed, and taken out of the hands of criminals. Similar laws akin to no-drinking/driving laws should be made, the exact penalties for drinking/driving for Marijuana.

And lets put the money given to the DEA to fight this stupid crusade go to other things, like improving the infrastructure of this country, perhaps lowering our debt to China, etc etc. Hell, give all that money to me, lol

it's basic economics really, have u ever been to a party where everyone has their own stash and 2 dealers r making the rounds but no sales...it would stiffle the economy of how it organized now and protected

it's basic economics really, have u ever been to a party where everyone has their own stash and 2 dealers r making the rounds but no sales...it would stiffle the economy of how it organized now and protected

I don't understand you so I must ask that you clarify. :)

Before anything else, Tabasco, you need to answer something.

How many people have OD'd on Mary Jane? <snip> No one I know has died from smoking it.
Why is that? Consider that ganja is both illegal and harmless. What if the first is the cause of the second....?

Go look up some statistics on the use of legal and illegal drugs. You're probably going to find that legal drugs (such as A and T) kill a whole lot more than illegal drugs. Therefore there's a strong possibility that illegal-ness is the reason.

ok, do you understand the law of supply and demand? the less there is the more its worth basically.

if weed was suddenly uncontroled, how would those who survive monetarily off its controledness survive?

Actually, if I recall correctly, studies have shown that the LD50 for marijuana, if it exists, is really high.

Before anything else, Tabasco, you need to answer something.

Why is that? Consider that ganja is both illegal and harmless. What if the first is the cause of the second....?

Go look up some statistics on the use of legal and illegal drugs. You're probably going to find that legal drugs (such as A and T) kill a whole lot more than illegal drugs. Therefore there's a strong possibility that illegal-ness is the reason.

Marijuana is the number one cash crop in America, it is more widespread then you think.

It's no use, LF, he just goes on pro-drug, anti-everything else tirades everywhere.

Marijuana is illegal because it was made so a long time ago, in response to vested interests in other areas. Now there is a vested interest in keeping it illegal, for several reasons, but primarily because arresting potheads is a useful way of beefing up statistics dealing with drug-related crime. Legalising, taxing, and controlling it would be far more sensible and reasonable, but is unlikely to happen.

ok, do you understand the law of supply and demand? the less there is the more its worth basically.

if weed was suddenly uncontroled, how would those who survive monetarily off its controledness survive?

Please, don't lecture me about the law of supply and demand. If you know about this I presume you're at least somewhat educated and capable of typing coherent sentences.

A shift in quantity demanded doesn't automatically correspond with an increase in price! If demand shifts left, there is less quantity supplied AND price lowers. Draw it and see for yourself. :)

Marijuana is illegal because it was made so a long time ago, in response to vested interests in other areas. Now there is a vested interest in keeping it illegal, for several reasons, but primarily because arresting potheads is a useful way of beefing up statistics dealing with drug-related crime. Legalizing, taxing, and controlling it would be far more sensible and reasonable, but is unlikely to happen.

I was going to say the Tobacco and Alcohol companies who are the top funders of Drug Free America, but that works too. :lol:

Please, don't lecture me about the law of supply and demand. If you know about this I presume you're at least somewhat educated and capable of typing coherent sentences.

A shift in quantity demanded doesn't automatically correspond with an increase in price! If demand shifts left, there is less quantity supplied AND price lowers. Draw it and see for yourself. :)

thats why they have eyes in the sky and spend countless$s fighting their so called "war on drugs" to keep the supply low. It keeps politicians alive and syndicates happily swiming in swarms of cash!

:rotfl:

Thanks Basket, I can always count on you for logic & reason. :D

To answer the OP, the initial illegalization probably began as an excuse to hassle minorities and other undesirables and to quell the threat that industrial hemp was posing to the cotton industry (among other reasons).

I saw a documentary on this a couple months ago, forgot the name.

To answer the OP, the initial illegalization probably began as an excuse to hassle minorities and other undesirables and to quell the threat that industrial hemp was posing to the cotton industry (among other reasons).

I saw a documentary on this a couple months ago, forgot the name.

You see, I always thought the initial illegalization of MJ came about because of the similar impulses that brought about the prohibition era.

thats why they have eyes in the sky and spend countless$s fighting their so called "war on drugs" to keep the supply low. It keeps politicians alive and syndicates happily swiming in swarms of cash!

Oh, man, you're not making any sense. Here, let me delineate the course of our conversation:

renohol said:

LightFang said:
A shift in quantity demanded doesn't automatically correspond with an increase in price! If demand shifts left, there is less quantity supplied AND price lowers.

renohol said:
thats why they have eyes in the sky and spend countless$s fighting their so called "war on drugs" to keep the supply low

But I thought we had just established that a decrease in quantity supplied does not correspond with an increase of price or anything! What is their incentive to "keep the supply low"? Are we talking about the supply schedule or, as laymen are apt to do, confuse that with quantity supplied?

Top Bottom