Civilization III: Cheats

Ginger_Ale

Lurker
Retired Moderator
A new page entry has been added:

[drupal=287]Civilization III: Cheats[/drupal]

Civilization III didn't come with a built-in cheat mode, unlike Civilization II. Firaxis also hasn't released any official cheat codes for Civ3. The only known cheats are those tricks that exploit some bugs in the game and player-created cheat programs such as trainers and saved game editors.
Known Exploits

Here is a list of known exploits in Civilization III. Green is allowed when playing the Game of the Month (GOTM); red is disallowed.
Right of Passage Abuse

Make an agreement of Right of Passage, move your units to their main cities and attack them all at once.
Free Palace Jump

When disbanding your capitol your palace will appear in the biggest other city. Your former capitol can be rebuilt by the settler it created. This way you've moved you capitol for free.

Hey, im new to civfanatics. Were can i download older updates like v1.20 so i can do the God mode (multi) cheat and Leemur cheat.

Right of Passage Abuse

Make an agreement of Right of Passage, move your units to their main cities and attack them all at once.

I don’t consider this a “Cheat” the first time I even thought about using it, it was the computer (on chieftain level no less) who used it on ME! (I proceeded to genocide the @$$#*!% - lol) When I turned around and tried to use it on another AI it immediately screamed bloody murder that I had so many troops near his cities!
Island block
If you fill the coast of a certain island with units, even non-military, the AI won't be able to land, thus isn't able to conquer that island, until it has marines.
A simple fix to this is a new land unit (set to an ancient tech like map making) the “swashbuckler” with 1 or 2 attack, 1 defense and amphib attack capability this prevents the 0 defense units from keeping them out if they really want to
Ship hopping
While at sea, you can unload a ship on the same square where there is another ship and that ship can take over the load. This way you can move your units to any location in one turn. But it takes a lot of effort.
Again – don’t really think of this as a “cheat” – a ship takes 20 or so years to travel 50-100 miles? In reality on even a 2 year timespan a ship should be able to circumnavigate the planet its just “how the game works” benefit and drawback.
Scout resource denial
Place a scout on a square where there is a resource and in (future) enemy territory. As long as you have peace with them you can leave him there undisturbed and the other will never be able to build a road to it.
Again a new land unit for ancient era tech, the “brigand” same as “Swashbuckler” but instead of amphib it has no flag marking (so it can attack without starting a war) and enslavement (as with Mayan javelin warrior).
36000 Points in 1 Minute
Do you know you can get a score of 36,000 in Civilization III without building anything (i.e. no cities, no units, no wonders)? Here's how: Create a scenario with only mountains, where settlers cannot build cities anywhere. Play it on Deity level with as many computer opponents as you like. Since you can't build a city anywhere, skip your turn. The AI's will realize that they, too, cannot build cities and commit suicide in frustration. All enemy settlers will disband themselves on their first turns and you will score 36000 points! (Submitted by Crosmer) or build the map with civ specific start points where all AI start points are on Islands with only mountains and you get regular terrain on your island.

Under this list I take it that "cheat" is being used as a broad term for using something in a way it wasn’t intended, under that def. you can add “Suicide Production” building units (like explorers) in one city with the purpose of sending them to another city and disbanding them for production. This is very useful in conjunction with “Gold Mining” or a despot type government. If you have a city that produces [say] 11 shields per turn and have “increased production“ selected, then you can build an explorer every turn, send him by rail to another city needing production boosts (like one crippled by corruption) and disband him on the same turn for 2 shields in that city (it’s not 1/1 efficient but it allows the transfer of "free" production between 2 cities). One problem I have with Civ 3 that was available in Civ 2 was that there is no way to ship food where it’s needed. If you have 1 city down in the valley surrounded by grasslands, flood plains, wheat and cattle and another city up on a hill surrounded by mountains, the mountain city is just SoL. There is no way to ship all the surplus food from the valley (which is totally unrealistic – sorry there aren’t many orange groves in Denver, but I betcha can find an orange or two there) likewise there’s no way to transfer production (except threw wealth/hurry if not in a dictatorship type government – which is why I don’t use those when I have the choice.) A button should be added (at-least next to food) on the city screen. You click it and a list of cities appear which that city has a current trade route to. You click the desired city and a 2nd popup appears (like when selecting money on the trade screen) you enter the amount of food you want to export to that city (with max of what isn’t being consumed in parenthesis) and it exports that much food per turn until you turn it off – this would allow the very real possibility of building up a major city somewhere with lots of production and little food, having to import most of its food from other cities, then going to war or being invaded by barbarians and having that trade route cut off and starvation in that city. You could also have the excess food (whatever is available in the capitol only - like workers) available like excess resources to trade with other Civs – also what they have in their capitol (if any) back to you. A limiter on this might be to have only one (domestic) export per city with the capitol able to export to one other city and any linked opponents capitol, this would require the carful construction of chains with one city exporting to another then that one keeping some and exporting to the next and so-on.

If anyone can help me, I would very much appreciate it. I am currently playing Civ 3 Complete, the latest version on Steam. I have been searching far and wide across the internet only to come across these long lost posts that reek of the early 2000's. If anyone still plays this game and knows about a trainer that is compatible with Steam version, please contact me. It would be very much appreciated.

Top Bottom