How does this motor work, anyway?

peter grimes

Retired Moderator
http://youtube.com/watch?v=uSQjTv9JyhQ

I came across this video while watching clips of lighting and such. I'm no electrical engineer, and my understanding of regular electric motors is basic, at most; I can't make heads or tails of the thing.

I have no idea how this motor works, and why is he so hung up on amperage? Seems like it's not much more than a flywheel, so I can only assume that I'm misunderstanding this rig.

Any insights?

I have no idea how this motor works, and why is he so hung up on amperage?
Its really power output that's the real concern. You want the car to consume the least amount of energy, which means generate the least power. Power is the product of amperage and voltage, so if voltage is constant, the amperage provides a good relative measure of power. Its basically a measure of fuel efficiency.

As a inventor, thats the figure that he's trying to mitigate. For us what really matters is the cost of the battery/electricity compared to the distance traveled on a full battery.

Seems like it's not much more than a flywheel, so I can only assume that I'm misunderstanding this rig.
No its not a flywheel. Its just a motor/generator. Motors work like generator if you spin the wheel, and apply wires to the terminals. I'm not sure what he's trying to show, however.

Top Bottom