Role Play Challenge: The Annoying French

madscientist

RPC Supergenius
The Annoying French: Start

Welcome to my next RPC game, The Annoying French" starring Louis XIV of France!!! The purpose of these games are to show an entertaining side to the game while adding an educational element!.

Louis believe France is the greatest country of Old Europe, vastly superior to all others, especially the hated English and their evil Queen Elizabeth. Louis must Harrass Elizabeth's English civlization, Kick them off the continent AFTER they colonize the new world, bring Grand Paris to 300,000 culture, and corner the market on the Old World Wine industry.

Rules

1) Harrass the English

a) Louis can NEVER trade or open border with the English.
b) ALL EPs must be directed towards England. He cannot steal techs (france can tech well enough on their own) and must use the EPs to harrass Elizabeth.
c) After England forms at least one Colony overseas he must force England off the Continent. He Cannot declare war with England before this.
d) Louis should try and bring the rest of the world to hate and dispise England.

2) Enlighten Paris: Paris must reach 300,000 culture before he can win the game.

3) Louis can NEVER form a permanent colony overseas, but can settle some cities as long as they are DIRECTLY next to English colonies! He must liberate the colonies by teh end of the game.

4) Louis prefers to be sneaky diplomatically. He only prefers wars against weak civilizations and will NOT attack more powerful ones. Exception, he can do an early rush for survival.

5) He must try and corner the Old World wine market (the new world stuff is horrid!) although he does not need to go on a suicide mission to do it!

6) Louis MUST adopt Hereditary Rule ASAP, and saty in it. Louis is the KING and he does not share power.

Settings

Standard sized Terra map, temperate.
Marathon Speed, Monarch difficulty
All victories avaliable

Chosen civlizations

Elizabeth of the hated English.
Frederick of the upstart Prussians.
Peter of the Barbaric Russians.
Suileman of the Nobel (and well fed) Ottomans.
Ragnar, the crude and unsophisticated Viking.
Isabella of the Zealot Spanish.

And out Annoying, Arrogant, and Vane leader

And the start

Before you all scream, yes it was a random start. All that gold, so what! It may difficult to setup a massive Wonderspamming capital, we shall see.

I might try this one too. I'm modding the rules for my shadow game though: seeing as how I usually switch these to epic, I'll be going for double the culture needed to be legendary on epic to compensate.

Otherwise, I'll try to follow the rules :).

Nice start. Settle in place seems obvious to me, although 1W captures the same resources. Warrior 1S first?

Civilized Jewellers looks pretty interesting from here.

This should be interesting. :)

I might try this one too. I'm modding the rules for my shadow game though: seeing as how I usually switch these to epic, I'll be going for double the culture needed to be legendary on epic to compensate.

Otherwise, I'll try to follow the rules :).

this game is set to marathon. You actually most tone down the required culture points on epic. Ill be playing on normal, so ill need to calculate to

this game is set to marathon. You actually most tone down the required culture points on epic. Ill be playing on normal, so ill need to calculate to

I'm pretty sure 150k is less than 300k :). I just wasn't 100% sure what makes for legendary culture on epic (it's not a typical victory condition for me).

It's pretty simple though. 300k is double what is needed for legendary on marathon, so use whatever is double legendary on the speed you play.

File attached. Sorry had some trouble with it and had to delete the first attempt.

As far as the culture of Paris, it must be double that which is needed for legendary city status!!!

For anyone unsure on the numbers, that'd be:
50000 on quick speed
100,000 on normal speed
150,000 on epic speed
300,000 on marathon speed.
Look forward to another fun RPC, I never posted in them but I'm always lurking!

For anyone unsure on the numbers, that'd be:
50000 on quick speed
100,000 on normal speed
150,000 on epic speed
300,000 on marathon speed.
Look forward to another fun RPC, I never posted in them but I'm always lurking!

After the Simpleness of Brennus, the quickness of the Hyuana game, and the singleminded Bloodfest of JC I am looking foreward to a little suttle/sneaky game.

Glad you stopped by!!!

Looks like a fun game, and the start is good for a high-production Paris with later culture-producing corps like Sushi and Jewelers.

Can you even reach 300000 culture ? I'm quite a wonder hog when playing Louis but I'm not sure I ever saw a city with that much culture. That gonna take A LOT of artists and GA.

Not sure about rule 4 either. On Monarch, a lot of civs gonna be more powerful than you, especially if you have to build for 300000 :culture: worth of wonders in Paris. You may not have many choices of civs to attack, if any.

can't wait to watch how you manipulate diplomacy, feel sorry for liz though. After all what did England ever do to France?!?

looks like you are quite nicely set up for this one with that start though, at a guess i'd say you need an early religion or maybe 2 in Paris then some of the high culture wonders like SoZ, MM, Sistine's and Notre Dame. salon's might help as well

well done on winning the JC game as well

@ Bestje, England exists which is enough for Louis!!!

@ Navarre, I have actually gotten to 250,000 in a legondarycapital before, so it's doable. What is tricky is dealing with the slider, and GA spamming in the capital post-emancipation. A culture victory may be difficult since I cannot let the other 2 pop to 150,000 before Paris hit's 300,000. But if I spam Catherdrals in Paris, the Hermitage, late wonders, corps, and FS civic we should be OK. As far as the AIs, Ragnar is clearly the leader to watch but since we need to adopt HR we may be OK diplomatically with him.

He'll probably need a combo of wonderspam, religious 50% buildings, free speech, artists, and settled GA's if he gets them, late culture wonders if he can't make it.

Of course, one can always delay the game towards the end to make sure it crosses the threshold ;).

The key restriction to me is not declaring on people stronger. This suggests getting a very strong early position (perhaps using the "early rush to survive") and massing units to some extent (except, perhaps, in Paris but maybe even there. If you basically own the world you have until 2050ad to get the culture up, and late corps/culture buildings/etc can probably swing it :lol:). I might go "Shaka" while playing this, only to switch to culture after dominating most of the old world (especially the wine locations!).

It's a lot to balance, should be fun.

Nice start. Settle in place seems obvious to me, although 1W captures the same resources. Warrior 1S first?

Civilized Jewellers looks pretty interesting from here.

Eh, 1W is pretty bad since it's off the coast, meaning no coastal wonders (maybe you want them) and no early work boats.

The Annoying French: Part I

Right off the bat we begin by being annoying!!!! We found several Ais and met the hated English. All eps are directed towards Elizabeth except for the few distributed to the early AIs and ebcause I forgto to set the ep screen.

To start, looks like a no brainer, we settle in place!

The techpath went Fishing/Mining/BW/AH/Masonry/Sailing/hunting/Mysticism.archery/start writing. That's a big itinerary, goes to show you what a little gold can do!!!!

Of course we got a little help from a goody hut

And we meet the first AI.

Magnificent, Hah. we shall show him what magnificent is.

And he we see that Suiliman is close, rather too close.

And then we meet the dreaded English and their young Queen. THAT is someone Louis feels he can boss arround!!!!

The Louis meets the Russians!

And after teching BW we discover

Well now, time for Louie to show how annoying he really can be!!!! We build a barracks and start spamming/chopping axemen!!!! Did I mention that Suiliman founded Hinduism? Yes he did. Did I mention he was VERY close to us. Yes, I think I did.

Then we meet 2 more Ais

The slob

And the upstart Prussian.

Being just TOO much for Louie to resist, he marches a modest French army of axes towards Ottoman lands while contructing the Great Wall. We are hoping for a Great Spy to harrass Elizabeth while eliminating Barbs.

Come, let's WOMP the turks before they can get stronger than us.

Instanbul does has pretty decent cultural defenses and four archers to our 7 axes!!!! We decide to try anyway.

2 French axes survive, no Turkish archers.

Thankyou very much Mr. Magnificent, your donation of a second French city is greatly appreciated and founding a religion for us is A-OK by us :goodjob:

Right after we build

And saved.

OK, the million dollar question! Do we exterminate the Ottomans now by building more axes or do we let him cringe along while we build arround him, hemming him in and harrassing him with our cultural trait! The time spent on axes will likely cost us at least ONE wonder in Paris.

My feling is to kill him now!!!!

How many cities does Suileman have left? If he has only one or two cities left I would kill him now but if he has more cities I wouldn't kill him right now and instead build a wonder in Paris.

Top Bottom