Firaxis Releases Civilization IV: Colonization Information, Features

Ginger_Ale

Lurker
Retired Moderator
Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization is the latest game in the Civilization IV series, a standalone expansion pack that focuses on the Age of Discovery and Colonization in the New World. Though it uses Civ4's game engine, it will not require Civ4 or any of its expansion packs to be installed. In anticipation of its fall 2008 release date, Firaxis has published a Colonization page on its website that contains more information and details about the game, including these features:

• Classic Game Design Rebuilt for the Modern Era: Usher forth a new generation of Sid Meier's Colonization with gameplay built on the award winning Civilization IV engine, providing the beautiful visuals, famously addictive gameplay and endless fun that are synonymous with Sid Meier strategy games.
  • Fight the Homeland and Establish a New Nation: Play as the English, Spanish, French or the Dutch and journey to a brave new world in search of freedom from your oppressive homeland
  • Improved Diplomacy: Sustain peace and support your followers as you engage in advanced negotiations with natives, other colonists and the hostile homeland -- Trade resources, gold and land as you build the foundation for a self sufficient and powerful colony
  • Historical Figures Provide Adaptive Gameplay: Acquire founding fathers such as John Smith, Patrick Henry and Samuel Adams who will help guide your nation to freedom based on your gameplay style
  • Brand New Interface: Both Civilization IV fans and players new to the series will feel right at home with an interface that Firaxis has built to be accessible and easy to navigate.
  • Multiplayer Offers Endless Replay Value: Compete with friends from all over the world via the Internet and Play by Email modes or compete locally via the Hotseat and LAN modes, offering endless ways to conquer the New World.
  • Detailed Tutorial Guides Players In Their Conquest: Civilization IV: Colonization will provide an enhanced tutorial that will help both fans of the game and brand new players on their way to ruling the New World.
  • Mods and Community Tools: Players will have limitless options for modifying the game to suit their needs. Firaxis will ship the game with modding tools including a map editor using XML and Python.

>> Read the Firaxis game page

The one thing I look forward to the most is to finally be able to play Colonization in multiplayer, and with simultanious turns as well I guess.

The more I read up on this, the more it sounds like a very extensive Mod.
I am sure it will be fun, but it better not cost more then $20 or so.

I like the idea of FireAxis releasing "small" expansion packs or add-on packs in the $5 to $20 range. I know alot of the community has commented on, say releasing a pack of 2-3 Leaders to use the 3 unused traits combonations.

Anyway, I look forward to it.

Improved Diplomacy: Sustain peace and support your followers as you engage in advanced negotiations with natives, other colonists and the hostile homeland -- Trade resources, gold and land as you build the foundation for a self sufficient and powerful colony

I always get excited when I read 'improved diplomacy'! Of course, I did with Civ 4 and was a little disappointed. I hope this is true but since it's based on Civ 4 I doubt it will be. The thought of being able to trade land sounds intriguing though. :D

sounds kind of boring to me :sad:.
i hope we can use all the new stuff in colonization (units,...) with civ4 (modding)...

sounds kind of boring to me :sad:.
i hope we can use all the new stuff in colonization (units,...) with civ4 (modding)...

YES! I hope too! Look the ocean of this "mod" looks like very cool, and the "improve diplomacy" it comes in good time! And the system that frees the colonies seems to be good!

I use to play the original Colonization, it was one of my favorite games growing up and the first Sid Meier game I ever played. I can't wait until this revamped version comes out!

I disagree! There is no "good" product. It's still the same. Continuous everything like the original.
By missing the Portuguese in the game, it's undoubtedly a great loss and a tremendous lack of consideration with History, of the Colonization of America!
SO WHAT IS BRAZIL???

I personaly don't care about Portuguese in or out. Anyway, take a look at these Screenshot. There is a green border on the bottom. Natives are grey - so maybe Portuguese are in but not named on website? :crazyeye: To be honest, I think, this will be another native tribe. But the water looks cool. :cool:

As someone mentioned in another thread, that green square is the standard highlighting of a tile that occurs when you mouse over it in the WorldBuilder -- not another civilization's borders.

On the upside, those city names are quite informative. Oglala is Sioux, and Tlapanaloya is Aztec. Since both of those civs were in the original game, I expect they'll be in this one.

I assume that civfanatics will soon have a Colonization section?

Poly already has a section for the new Col game, and forums too! ;)

Top Bottom