News: COTM50 Pre-Game Discussion

civ_steve

Deity
GOTM Staff
Retired Moderator

COTM 50: Zululand!

We'll back the difficulty down to Regent, and play the Zulus, a race we haven't played for in quite a while! You'll play a Pangaea map against 10 AI's! Here are the details:

Civilization: Zululand
Rivals: 10 pre-selected
Barbarians: Raging
Difficulty: Regent
Land Form: Pangaea, 60% ocean, Standard map.
Geology:5 billion years old, Wet and Warm.
AI Aggression: Normal

Conquest-Class Bonuses:

1. A Free Galley
    Alphabet for Free
    100 Bonus Gold

Open-Class Bonuses
None

Predator-Class Obstacles:

1. No Warrior Code
    All AI get 2 Pikes and 2 Bonus Support
    AI Bonus Unit Support per city set to 2

Scout SE, S to the Mountain, Worker N to the Game Forest to cut and irrigate. Settle in place, build at least one more Scout (Tobacco-Game-Game-Game).

Have Goody Huts been removed this time?

I usually remove about 50% of the GHs from the game, to reduce the random element they introduce. So far I have only removed 1 GH, which was directly adjacent to the Zulu's start location. If people would rather have the GHs and take on the randomness, I can replace the GH, either directly adjacent to the Zulu's settler, or somewhere nearby, and refrain from removing others.

If you want the GHs, don't complain to me when somebody else gets the early Free Worker, and all you got were some lousy maps! :)

Randomness is fun.

Do the Impis have lethally air bombardment this month? Just kidding. 60%, wet, warm, 5 billion... sounds like a food rich builder's paradise.

How in the world does Conquest class get a free galley with that start (serious question here)?

I'd expect a lot of blood baths in this game. But, using my fog-gazing skills I can tell (not really) there exists a nice 20k coastal spot to the east.

I say we should have at least as many huts as normal.

I'd like to know what is to the North or Northwest, scout up river NE, NE before deciding on whether to settle in place. Worker has enough to keep himself busy, maybe build another worker before another scout after warrior/warrior.

an island start on a 60% pangea map? Could happen, but it seems likely that, if it is, we'll be able to get some curraghs off to poke around.

GH's... on the one hand, someone getting a free worker can make a big difference. On the other hand, the expansionist trait is much less useful.

Can you set it up so huts give scouts instead of workers, or gold or something?

How about free roads for a hut? That might make things interesting... if possible.

If it were an Island start, the challenge would excite me all the more! I've won a pangea island start as the greeks once on deity lvl and I'd be happy to try zulus which is a less effective civ but then again at predator class on regent.

Maybe I can pull off my first pre-Modern Age victory on this one!

________
"Don't get cocky, kid." - Han Solo

Top Bottom