Earth mana and discovering new resources

abculatter2

Warlord
what is the percent value that a mine will discover a new resource, how much does earth mana increase this, and what is the percent value that a dwarven mine will discover a new resource? I know that earth mana once had a 5% increase, but I don't think this is true anymore, as many times I've had 3, 4 and even 5 earth mana for long periods of time and mines on every hill and not a single new resource.

There are no longer any special "Dwarven Mines". Dwarves have the same chances as anyone else, they just happen to start with Earth Mana from their Palace.

Earth mana has a "iDiscoverRandModifier" of 20.

Mines have a "DiscoverRand" of 10000.

So one can take that to mean that with a mine you have a 1/100th Percent chance of discovering a resource. So with 100 mines (without any other bonuses yet), you'll get on average 1 resource every 100 turns.

I am not checking the code right now, but I presume this is divided by the sum of your DiscoverRandModifiers. Thus with a single Earth Mana source you make your chances 1 in 500, with a second source it is 1 in 250, add a third and it is 1 in 166. Until you get to having 10 and it is a chance in 50. So with 10 Earth mana and the same 100 bonus-free mines, you would on average find 2 new Resources every turn.

This of course means that while each Earth Mana is quite nice, it is really just the first one which is insanely critical, as it improves your chances the most dramatically (from 1/100th of a percent to a mere 1/5th of a percent per mine per turn).

So one can take that to mean that with a mine you have a 1/100th Percent chance of discovering a resource. So with 100 mines (without any other bonuses yet), you'll get on average 1 resource every 100 turns.

It is a 1/100th percent chance for each resource you are capable of seeing/using.

So at the beginning of the game, it would be gold/silver/gems, for 3/100th of a percent chance, or with 100 mines, one every 33 turns.
Once you got the tech for copper and iron, it would be a 5/100th of a percent chance, or with 100 mines, one every 20 turns.

Also, you cannot discover a resource where there is already a hidden resource, so if there is an iron on a tile but you just can't see it until you get the tech, you could work the mine for a million turns and never discover something.

Sorry for bringing up this old thread, but I'm curious wether the chance to discover ressources is depending on game speed or not.
I have the feeling it's not, which might explain why I consider the effect of earthmana pretty weak these days, since I'm mostly playing fast/normal, and why I didn't consider it weak in earlier version, where I played my first games on epic/marathon speed.
I even suspected a bug in the current version's earth mana effect, because ressource discovery is so poor on fast speed.

Is it possible to adjust the chance to discover ressources to the game speed, so that you actually can have some fun as Khazad on fast speed with many mines and multiple earthmana ?

yep it probably does not scale with gamespeed (don't take my word for it though, I didn't look at the code :D ), like most things that should in order to have the game balanced at any speed. that's why you should play at normal and nothing else ;)

but I really really hope that the team will make it balanced at any speed before even beginning work on the scenarios. that's a big issue right now, although it's probably a lot of work. :\

Top Bottom