Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION IV > Civ4 - Strategy & Tips

Old Oct 23, 2008, 10:15 AM   #1
Tyrant Roger
Warlord

AI's and going to war

I am puzzled by the mechanics that govern AI's going to war. I have read the threads describing the many factors which are assessed before an AI goes to war, but I am mystified by the following related issues. Recently I bribed an AI to stop a war against another AI because I didn't want the weaker AI to vassalize to the stronger. Two turns later the stronger AI again declared war on the weaker AI. Why wasn't the stronger AI forced to wait 10 turns before redeclaring?

In numerous games recently I have seen AI's with WHEOOHA and they stay in that status for 50 turns and ultimately do nothing. Alternatively, they are in that status for 10 turns and then return to normal. What causes an AI to cancel its plans to go to war? How can I best use this to my advantage?
Tyrant Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 01:33 PM   #2
Charonicus
Warlord

Perhaps they called a ceasefire instead of drawing up a peace treaty?

I've seen AIs do nothing after supposedly preparing for war too. Perhaps they changed their mind for some reason. Seeing their potential target leap up in strength perhaps, or being declared upon themselves, or suddenly realising they have a shot at a wonder that they fancy. Who knows.

As for using it to your advantage. It's diplomacy time. If they are planning something, shatter those plans by setting someone else on them. ^^ Now they really do have their hands full! *cue maniacal laughter*.
Charonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2008, 11:24 AM   #3
Tyrant Roger
Warlord

When you bribe an AI to make peace with another AI, it results in a peace treaty and not a cease fire or so I am led to believe by BTS and this forum. How can an AI declare two turns later? You can't bribe an AI to go to war with another AI for 10 turns after the two AI's have made peace.
Tyrant Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2008, 02:55 PM   #4
Charonicus
Warlord

Could he perhaps have been forced into war via the AP?
I've seen Pacal pull this stunt. He was at war with Freddy when an AP vote to declare war on Freddy came up. He made peace only to be forced into war again the next turn, likely milking a nice fat peace deal in the process?
Charonicus is offline   Reply With Quote