Climb the Ladder IV: Wang Kon - Monarch

dankok8

Elected World Leader
Continents - Temperate - Medium sea level - Standard size map - Normal Speed - Monarch Difficulty. Choose Religions is ON, everything else default.

Our Leader:

UU:

UB:

The Start:

The start is pretty good. 2 food sources, lots of riverside grassland for cottaging (we are Financial) and marble and at least 2 hills for some production if we don't move the settler. Very unsure about how to proceed.

Hwacha is an excellent UU in conjunction with War Elephants so I think we should beeline Construction and attack someone especially if we find Ivory somewhere. The Seowon helps with research which is always good and it adds to the strengths of this leader. Protective will give us good Archery and Gunpowder units - CGI, Drill I out of the gate can be useful if find ourselves under attack. Starting with Mining and Mysticism gives a leg up for rushing someone with axemen since Bronze Working is only a tech away as well as founding an early religion if we choose to. Thoughts?!?

I would consider settling 1W. It grabs the Cows, and a few more riverside tiles, and puts you on the River for a future Levy in the city. It would sacrifice a couple hills though. I guess it depends on your style and level of play. At Emperor, I think the Levy becomes a more important consideration when placing cities, but at Monarch, you may have the game won by Steam Power.

If 1W had a hill I would probably move there. As it is I'd settle in place. You're financial and have a food rich start so bureacracy looks like a likely priority. 1W is more of a pure GP farm and don't forget that bur boosts hammer production as well.

Squinting at the map given, there're water North, so I think we're in a classic one city inland starting spot.

Starting with mysticism, I'd think that grabbing a religion wouldn't be a bad thing. Especially with marble, going for a quick Oracle may not be a bad thing.

Lots of forests south for chopping. Although conversely, we may be short on copper/iron.

My plan would be move the warrior either NW or SW, and probably just settle in place, leaving the cow for another city to the west (given that it's got plains, it could probably use the better square.

Religion->Agriculture->BW? (agri to let our worker improve the food tiles).

Lot of games on the forum lately :p. It's hard to keep up with ALL of them, even for me!

!@#$ if I won't try, though!

I would (or should I say probably will) settle in place.

Lot of games on the forum lately :p. It's hard to keep up with ALL of them, even for me!

!@#$ if I won't try, though!

I would (or should I say probably will) settle in place.
I guess you will just have to play faster TMIT! LOL, couldnt resist.

Actually, you could do what I do. Never actually finish a game, just play until you feel you have "won", and claim VICTORY! and move to the next game!

One west yeah...

4000-2680BC

Ok, I decided to start this game off. 3 people suggested to settle in place, 2 people to move 1W and 1 person to consider moving 1W. ;) I decided to settle in place and the grand city of Seoul was founded:

We teched Agri-Bronze Working-Animal Husbandry as I decided to forgo an early religion. Build order was Worker-Warrior-Worker-Settler (not finished). The Warrior and the Worker were helped by a chop.

Our scout found a hut that gave us a bit more gold:

Then we met our first neighbour whose whereabouts are unknown although he is likely southwest somewhere...

We had another scout pop this:

:mad: This sucks. Maps suck and maps of ocean even more.

Then we met our next neighbour and i was glad I didn't go for an early religion:

As the round ended and AH was done, Horses were found in our BFC!! I may try to rush Gandhi.

Seoul and Its Surroundings:

I got off to kind of a slow start... My first warrior kept getting attacked by animals and so it never got a chance to explore more. Right now, a rush does not seem viable as well as getting the Oracle. Which one do we go for?!?

Ivory south = elepult rush.

But really, without knowing too much about the surroundings, it's hard to tell.

Ouch. With so many riverside tiles, you are really going to miss the levee in the late game. You have 16 riverside squares! I definitely would have moved to the river.

Still that's quite a ways in the future. Right now not much we can decide, so little of the map as been explored. In fact it seems you're pretty behind in recon at this point in the game, a lot of unknown, what happened to your starting warrior?

Why did you research AH since you didn't move 1W?

Why did you research AH since you didn't move 1W?

No copper, better all-around technology than archery, seems like it was worth the risk to see if some horses are around for the early decent military units. I'm guessing we would have been forced to go for archery if horses were as scarce as copper.

Hard to say where I would put the next city. The capital will do great work carrying the economy in the short term, and you're looking at two fabulous commerce sites both NE and NW of the capital once you can clear the jungle.

I'd probably be looking for a couple good production cities, but I'm not sure were exactly they should go. The little bits of unexplored areas to the west and to the SE are hiding just enough to make me unsure.

Messed around in this one too much.

1914 Domination:

Spoiler :
I tried for meditation and failed. If I'd gone poly like I normally do when heading for religion, I'd have won it easily. But then, I'm screwing around so why not.

I REX to block as much as possible and grab oracle:

I like forges even if cheap random events destroy them which happens in every single game with random events I play without exception at least once.

After bronzeworking I went for archers. Archers do soundly own barbs after all and there's a ton of land here.

The early game is a boring segment for me. Lots of workers, settlers, archers, and courthouses. I get hosed by barbs a little but nothing too bad as I take over way more than my fair share of the land:

Apparently Hannibal thinks so too and catches me with my pants down with a DoW:

I never lost a city to him, because I used workers to bait his SOD away from my city with 1 archer until I got some longbows and HAs produced (was in caste) and I had too many workers for a while anyway. Ultimately his attack stack got flanked by horse archers and shredded. I took cease fire a few turns later just after justinian predictably declared on gandhi. A random event stopped the war between justinian and him though, and then because I was spamming troops to cut down carthage gandhi....was gandhi:

Yeah I just took it. His borders with hannibal means hannibal will cap almost instantly now.

I declare on hannibal:

and yes:

I'm a little backwards in tech from settling all this land aggressively and war and what not, so the logical choice is more war.

Gandhi wins liberalism very late:

I underestimated cataphracts because the AI had them. The elephants kept me alive though and I pounded through him with another HE supermace city.

From there I got ultra lazy, teched to flight, and capped shaka with infantry and fighters to win:

You played monarch or emperer TMIT? Its nice to see someone complete games.

I played monarch...I just used his save directly. I dislike barbs but leave them on sometimes, I hate random events and would never play with them on outside forum games.

I have enough immortal games in EQM and emperor in my S&T series games that I like playing other difficulties (and speeds) - it lets me do things you can't on emp/immortal/deity (not that i've had any success on deity).

I almost always complete games due to my play time though - this one is no exception, it was under 3 hours.

I really need to play smaller maps. My games take hours to the point of turn clicking on space games near victory time. Trouble is the Ai dont give up.

I think my next game will be a spy game.Never done this before. Trouble is I always read a thread and change my mind.

I love random events. I think you get a reasonable average of good and bad. I dislike huts, but if huts get turned off, I think players should start with 100 gold. The ONLY reason for huts is early gold for negative events, heh. Actually, I feel huts benefit the AIs more than the players though, since they get far more huts than we can with our puny single warrior. This gets more and more unbalanced as you go higher and higher in levels.

I played this game through 1000 AD, and its a blowout. You can carve out a HUGE chunk of land with a few well placed cities. Barbs build more cities for you, and while they dont always pick the best dot-mapped locations, some of reasonable.

But your land is extremely rich. Rivers, tons of food, all the resources, etc. There is room for plenty of cities, both production and commerce. REX, recover, build Maces and Trebs and take over your continent.

By the way, 3 people voted for 1 west (me, oyzar, Bleys) and I don't understand why you say "2 people voted for 1W then one person considered 1W" since that's 3 people voting 1W but anyway that's not really the issue.

I would get at least 1 more scout to quickly explore the surroundings. The Oracle seems more appealing here than a rush since Gandhi's whereabouts are unknown. With luck, Gandhi can build a few wonders for you.

Since this is Monarch difficulty, I think you have time to get Masonry and hook the marble up before researching Priesthood. As for the free tech, I would take Metal Casting as the free tech (religions aren't as appealing since Justinian I may spread his to yours and you can get diplomatic points with him).

Hard to say without a save.

In generala explore, REX (screw the Oracle). You have not seen any borders yet so why you need rush?

After you recover from REX kill the ghandi and take his nice shiny cities.

Top Bottom