Colonies

kairob

Biohazard
I don't know if I have mentioned this before but I have an idea that might help colonization and settlement in the mod. How about if we added in colonies based on the Space Port things from the Final Frontier mod that comes with BTS?

This could work similar to how it does in FF, which is where a worker spends X amount of turns building a colony near resources at a monetary cost (say 150 gold). This claims the territory for them but they would still have to defend it. The could then be an option to 'upgrade' the colony into a city, again with a monetary value and taking x amount of turns.

I think this would improve the game in the following ways;
1)Speed up AI Colonisation by making it easier for them to expand.
2)Help slow down the Tech rate by providing another incentive to get money instead of research
3)Speed up the game as territory could be claimed without building extra cities, reducing the amount of cities in the game.
4)Provide (yet another) unique and exciting aspect to RFC.
5)Provide a realistic way of representing important parts of empires that didn't have a high enough population to count as whole cities (for example most of the Portuguese empire outside of Brazil)

Attachments

• Colony idea.jpg
    Colony idea.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,602
If this was to happen in RFC, I suspect Forts would have to be modified much more to become more city-like. They already count as cities when defending or passing through as a ship, but with this they'd become more city-like in an instant.

I haven't played FF myself, so I don't know what Space Ports are like. May I suggest some more experienced modder spares his two cents with this suggestion and tells us how hard it is to code it?

Im a big fan of FF myself. i like the idea and think that they could also be used as naval bases in an ocean. I know there are some small islands you could use as naval bases, but these are usally high in maintanence and very unproductive.

this feature was present in Civ3 last expansion. I wonder why they removed it, I liked it a lot since it added both a strategic and a realistic element.

I like it - a good way to seize resources without wasting money on a whole city, as well as being historically accurate.

May be OK, but only if not done at the expence of "proper" settling, also requires a lot of balancing.

It would certainly require an extreme amount of testing, which I supect Rhye doesn't have the stomach for; but I too liked colonies in Civ 3 - playing as Greeks in a Mediteranean map spreading little emporia all over the place felt right.

Cheers, Luke

They were useful for grabbing resources in areas with . .. .. .. . terrain, like jungle. They would be better in RFC as having lots of cities is worse in Civ4 & RFC than Civ3

They were useful for grabbing resources in areas with . .. .. .. . terrain, like jungle. They would be better in RFC as having lots of cities is worse in Civ4 & RFC than Civ3

Plus there is a much higher resource density in RFC, making them more economical.

They were useful for grabbing resources in areas with . .. .. .. . terrain, like jungle.

And then an AI comes and puts a city just next to your colony, obliterating it. I'd still found a city - why waste perfectly good workers?

An OOC is certainly the exception, through.

They were useless in Civ3 because you were founding cities left and right anyway, but in RFC (and Civ4 to a lesser extent), you need to make every city count, and some resources are in annoyingly useless locations.

It'd probably be a pain to code, though.

the ideas good, but how would it work? As in FF, were its an unmovable unit or as a fort/city were you would have to defend it?

Never mind.

Top Bottom