G-Minor 65

Denniz

Where's my breakfast?
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

[size=+1](*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!
[/size]​

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Domination (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Settler
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Large
  • Map Type: Any
  • Speed: Epic
  • Must Not Be Checked: No Barbarians
  • Civ: France (De Gaulle)
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: 3.17.001
  • Date: 25th January to 10th February 2009
Must not play as Inca.

The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Why in the world did you pick de gaulle?

I would have loved to try this one with an imperliastic leader to mass settler spam and get a totally peaceful domination :-(

Yeah, that was really challenging ;)

My earliest win, 930AD. I imagine someone will get a BC win though. Lots of settler spam micro.

I stupidly researched horseback riding when all I needed were chariots. About 40 odd citis at the end (on Great Plains, probably not the best map) good enough for 64% land, a bit too much. Should have put the maximum AI in for less settlers needed but I forgot to check what the max number was so I just played standard number of AI.

Not the most tension-ridden gauntlet I have ever played but at least I knocked off France and Great Plains.

Nope, nor lakes.

Yeah, that was really challenging ;)

My earliest win, 930AD. I imagine someone will get a BC win though. Lots of settler spam micro.

I stupidly researched horseback riding when all I needed were chariots. About 40 odd citis at the end (on Great Plains, probably not the best map) good enough for 64% land, a bit too much. Should have put the maximum AI in for less settlers needed but I forgot to check what the max number was so I just played standard number of AI.

Not the most tension-ridden gauntlet I have ever played but at least I knocked off France and Great Plains.
I thought about making it Archipelago, maybe I should have. ;)

The funny thing is I don't know who could have planted the flag in the victory movie because all my units had been disbanded due to strike for about 30 turns at the end.

EDIT: If I were Augustus I would have invaded me. Had a minor scare at the end when the Vedic Aryans showed up but they couldn't get to Gus due to my culture and Great Wall. So they just pillaged a road :lol:

OK, I'm up for a low pressure gauntlet... haven't played settler in a while ;).

I think this will be a pre-1000 BC winner. All about settler spamming. Popping a couple of settlers from huts will be critical. Almost worth running a few less AI opponents just to gain more huts. However, I think lowering the dom threshold is even more important, so I will add AI's for sure. I am wondering if it will be worth building wonders. Maybe Henge for a border pop and GW since I am too lazy to deal with barbs. But, might be better to put all those hammers into settlers...

Surely the Great Wall is essential unless you somehow have an economy that can support all your cities after the settler spam unless all the cities fogbust each other?

I'm not sure the GW will be necessary. It's not raging barbs like last REX gauntlet and even then I didn't see all that many barbs.

1st try was 450 BC. 2nd try is 1175 BC. Waiting to see if they are accepted. No doubt I can finish this sooner, still getting the hang of timing it right.

While I was quite proud to get the earliest AD score, I have to say the The-Hawk and ShannonCT kicked some serious butt. Way to go everyone, but especially these guys. You must have just settler spammed? I trying a lot of conquering and then filled the gaps, but I wonder how you overcame the strikes or kept your economy up.

In my case, I tried for early horses. Built a fairly small number of chariots to go after enough AIs to clear space. Tried to get most before they had archers (usually could get one with an empty city). Then settlers to the end.

As far as economy... I would research to math (for the chops) and turn off all research to build up a bankroll. Between that and gold from conquers, really no problem. Two wonders... henge for border pops and GW so I could ignore barbs.

Top Bottom