Please can we have discussion in Picture Threads?

Abaddon

Deity
Seems odd discussion is actually banned!

When someone posts a interesting picture, what is so bad about a discussion being generated from it?

The picture thread is going to get archived anyway, so its not like its postcount whoring...

Some mods see it as postcount whoring.

It's spammy, imo. The picture threads are for picture posting, and personally I'm not fond of wading through a page of discussion to get to the next picture. Not that I'm not guilty of jibber-jabber myself, I do my share too, but I see why it's against the rules.

And it's not like discussion is banned as much as that you have to contribute a picture to join the discussion.

My own view is that "discussion" should be encouraged, whilst "comments" not so much.
I'd say this too. It's not really necessary to post just to say "hey this one's funny" or "hey this one isn't very funny".

Yeah, I am thinking in members pictures more than anything. Often those pictures are more important and discussion provoking. A funny picture doesnt really need much discussion

Well I think that members Photo's should be the exception to the rule and I think that any post explaining something about a picture should be excused from that rule, but as a general rule, it is a good rule, since it keeps the topic on track, with less needless posts. I think the rule should be relaxed a little, but not a whole lot.

Well I think that members Photo's should be the exception to the rule and I think that any post explaining something about a picture should be excused from that rule, but as a general rule, it is a good rule, since it keeps the topic on track, with less needless posts. I think the rule should be relaxed a little, but not a whole lot.

That's a good point. If you post a pic and someone asks a question about it, it's kind of silly to make them put up another picture, or wait for someone else to, just to be allowed to answer the question. Especially in Members Photos, there's not always an appropriate photo on hand and people will post somewhat spammy pictures just to pay the tax.

I know this might be considered a little 'crazy', but how about instead of a hard-and-fast rule posters and mods are aked to use some common sense?

Cos there'll be inconsistent moderation.

But seriously what's the point in posting pictures of yourself if no-one's allowed to discuss them? It doesn't make sense to me. Especially when every other thread gets hammered when there's a lack of discussion.

Cos there'll be inconsistent moderation.
But seriously what's the point in posting pictures of yourself if no-one's allowed to discuss them? It doesn't make sense to me. Especially when every other thread gets hammered when there's a lack of discussion.

with all due respect, and I'm not having a go at anyone, all moderation is inconsistent at the moment, and always will be as all mods are humans. I really wish this could be done on a case by case basis

Yeah, I am thinking in members pictures more than anything.
Oh, well in that case yes, there ought to be some leniency about the 2 post rule for sure.

with all due respect, and I'm not having a go at anyone, all moderation is inconsistent at the moment, and always will be as all mods are humans. I really wish this could be done on a case by case basis

What he said, although I wouldn't've put the "at the moment" part. Also I don't think minor inconsistency - which is typical, what we have and what we can expect - is much of a problem.

What he said, although I wouldn't've put the "at the moment" part. Also I don't think minor inconsistency - which is typical, what we have and what we can expect - is much of a problem.

by 'at the moment' i mean up until now, not at the present time in particular

I think that would just worsen the situation. Clicky clicky clicky clicky clicky click click click.

Lucy and Ralph are right, the moderation here is very inconsistent, which annoys the hell out of me.

But on-topic, I have no real problem with discussion, it's the fact that it often degenerates into spam that's the problem. A little common sense is better than picking an arbitrary number - two - and stating that any more posts than this without a picture are infractible.

Top Bottom