Monarch Student IX - Mansa Musa.

nanomage

Longbowman
I am proud to present the ninth installment in MS series. This time it is Mansa Musa of Mali, at Standard Earthlike Tectonics with normal aridity.
Our civilization:
MSIXMM-4000.civilization0000.JPG
Our glorious, spiritual, and financial leader (wow, three traits :lol: )
MSIXMM-4000.leader0000.JPG
Our UU - excellent choking unit, excellent barb buster, excellent early city defender and even adequate rushing unit.
MSIXMM-4000.UU0000.JPG
Our UB.
MSIXMM-4000.UB0000.JPG
Our WB Save. (zip format archive)
View attachment MSIXMM.zip
One single change was made to the map to make it (hopefully) a bit more interesting late-game. It is easily recognized once you see it ;)
You are free to chose speed and difficulty.
Let me know if you have problems with WBsave (except for strange Mali flag)
and good luck.
As usual - keep your progress in spoilers. Eager to read your stories

25 A. D.

Spoiler :

Researched Hunting, Archery, Bronze Working, Roads, Irrigation (in that order) and researched/traded some more techs, did a late Skirmisher rush, razed Ethiopian city and one of Khmers. Also managed to capture one Sumerian city. Didn't even go for any wonder.

I'm terribly behind in research, land, military and everything else :) Not sure if it is still winnable. Damn I like Mali more when they are just my neighboors.

Attachments

• MSIXMM AD-0025.CivBeyondSwordSave
    138.6 KB · Views: 110
to 600BCish
Spoiler :
Don't think i can win this one... Stole a worker from sury and tried to settle 3 cities while teching for horse archers since there was no bronze. Didn't really work. Tried to use trees/whip as much as possible to get some kind of production but it wasn't enough. I've slowed sury down a lot, but won't be able to take any cities probably. Will probably end up too far behind in tech, and my land isn't great so i probably won't continue. Most likely a skirmisher or chariot rush would have been better. I did more of a chariot choke - i shouldn't have stolen that worker, it threw off my war plans

I suppose it might still be winnable. I went for sury because i saw zaras land was mostly brown - so i figured he didn't have too many good city spots. Sury is way behind with almost no improvements. Very tough map since we are very much boxed in without copper. I really should have just tried rushing with the UU instead of messing around with horses.

To 10 AD, emperor/epic:

Spoiler :

Weird tech path, to prepare a classical war vs Sury: agri - bw - hunting - archery - wheel - mysticism - ah - pottery - writing - IW - masonry - math - construction - aesthetics - poly - researching literature

4000 - Settle in place. Most boring capital ever.

3800 - 69 gold hut.

3375 - Zara is very close.

2925 - Next AI is Wang.

1975 - And last AI of this segment is Sury. Oh joy, two creative neighbors.

1900 - We don't have copper, but we have skirmishers:

1850 - Gondar:

1500 - Aksum. I think I'll move the palace here:

1375 - And Zara is dead:

1175 - 51 gold from hut.

455 - Djenne:

10 AD - Kumbi Saleh, to block that little peninsula. There's a barb city to capture and room for an extra city:

Didn't expand a lot. The free land to the W-SW is garbage and Sury has a lot of green. So I kept it small, teching to swords/catas to attack Sury.
Empire:

Techs. Sury is big and has settled a lot of mediocre land, so he's not teching well:

Skirmishers' stats. All promoted to C1 and cover when possible:

I'm not sure if a classical war is the best option, but I don't really know what to do in our little corner.

Part II, 10 - 960 AD:

Spoiler :

175 - Gao, decent commerce city:

460 - Sury declares war? Mmm ok, his awesome stack of doom consists of 1 axe, 1 sword and 1 chariot. In the last few centuries I was building nothing but units, to declare war on him:

Skirmishers are enough to deal with his pathetic attacks, and I push with my stack.

535 - Angkor Thom captured.

610 - Wang helps us in the war vs Sury. Totally useless, but thanks anyway:

700 - Khmer capital is a major letdown:

835 - Rajavihara captured. I really like these fancy city names.

960 - Nagara Jayasri (last Khmer good city) captured:

And some backfilling:

Sury made the DoW, so I don't have diplo penalties. He's insta-pleased after the war, so OB and I give him aesthetics and some cash for currency.

This is the new land, soon to be cottage-spammed:

Sury still has 3 cities in the eastern barrens and an extra city somewhere:

Tech board is terrible. I just started building courthouses everywhere and my cities are still small. Liberalism is probably out of question in this game:

Diplo is under control. Both Sury and Wang will soon be friendly from religion and fav civic:

Obviously the next part will be focused on economy and infrastructures. I'll capture that barb city and found another one on the peninsula. Wang isn't teching very well, so I think I'll get him with cavalry.

round 2, to 540 AD
Spoiler :
I decided to keep going with this game even though i thought it was hopeless. Have been at war with Sury since i stole his worker very early. Got wang and zara to pleased due to religion and trades. Took 3 cities and probably can finish him off soon. Zara declared on him and took a city close to his borders too. I'm not much higher than 1/2 their scores, but not too far behind in tech since i'm guessing it's just the 4 of us on the continent. I think i might actually have a chance - zara doesn't have great land and wang isn't running away in tech too much either. They are probably going to be somewhat big but i might be able to war with zara with maces/trebs. Then i'd be in a good position to win. I'm afraid the other continent of probably 3 ai's all share buddhism and might be teching fast though since the other 2 early religions are here. Hopefully they get code of laws first and do some warring of their own. I really could use monarchy, currency and calender soon - need to work on getting those.

250 AD
emperor/epic

Spoiler :

Bleh, cramped start but the land will cottage well I guess. In the mean time had to get some growing room. Economy crashed and army almost went on strike so I suicided half of it at a Khmer city and called for peace. Getting horse archers to deal with his massive amounts of catapults anyway. Really want to get this continent to myself sooner rather than later. Tech rate is awful so we'll see.

So first the only reason my army has been successful at all lately and then some general information stuffs.

Spoiler :

At least losing essentially my entire army to take out most of Sury's seems to have kind of worked.
Spoiler :

Monarch - Epic - 500AD

Spoiler :
Talk about a brutal map. Sury and Zara very close, It's a struggle to get 3 or 4 cities. And those will be under severe creative culture pressure. The good news is that I didn't see a single barbarian unit after animals.

Anyway, I settled in place, built a worker first and teched agriculture, BW. I think I only got the hut that starts in the BFC, and got some gold. Anyway, I met the creative group, and Wang Kon farther off. My warrior explored the southern peninsula before walking next to a bear and a lion on flat land, bye bye.

I decided I have to go all out on settlers. I built a warrior until size 2, and then cranked out 3 straight settlers to save some land. I actually got some solid land between me and the creatives. A little later, I got 4 skirmishers down to take a barb city at the very south of the peninsula, giving me 5 cities. Not counting fill in cities, I imagine that's about the most land you can peacefully get on this map.

There's obviously a necessity for war here, the problem however is no copper, and not great production everywhere else. I had two horse and two iron resources, but not good enough production to get a ton of chariots out quickly, so swords it is. I had to do some mass whipping to get enough swords, as I started building up for war about 1000 years too late. With no happiness resources, or anything else for happiness, I had a lot of unhappiness to deal with.

Zara helped me out by founding Confucianism in his closest city to mine. That makes him an even better target, since some serious zealot action left us 4 with no religions, so Confu will be a massive religion soon. It quickly spread to a few of my cities to help with the happy cap.

Finally I was ready to declare on Zara:

That archer above the city was protecting a worker. The worker ended up retreating to the city to get captured, and the archer was too slow to get back in time, and ended up getting picked off flat land at 98% odds. The Confu holy city was only guarded by 2 archers, but at 40% defense and on a hill, it wasn't a pushover. I still had enough of a force to quickly move on Zara's capital though. When I got there, it was guarded by 2 archers, 2 swords, an axe, and had 60% defense. I took the city, but it decimated my stack. I wanted to move on Gondar in the south, but I had to wait for reinforcements first. I eventually took it with help from my skirmishers from the barb city, and was ready to talk peace.

I actually had to take less gold, early wars aren't great for extorting stuff with the terrible win loss ratios. I stopped playing a little bit after that while recovering my economy. Here's part of my empire:

I was astonished that Sury actually settled that spot behind me. I saw an archer walking through my land, and just assumed it was exploring. It isn't a huge loss, I have another horse source, but it surprised me. Calendar will be a huge boost to the economy with all of those happy resources around. Zara was nice enough to hook up the wine for me, so monarchy isn't as necessary, although it's still high on the to do list. I'm probably going to need to re-declare on Zara to give myself some breathing room. Lalibela is pressing 2 cities. I haven't scouted his other 2 cities, but they look pretty crappy. And the south:

I probably should have re-settled Gondar, but I guess now I'll just do without the extra clam. It also looks like Sury settled an island city down there, another city that humans couldn't think of because of maintenance. I got the GLib up in Timbuktu, which definitely will help catch up in techs.

Zara was teching like a monster, but he's a non issue now. Wang Kon is preparing war on Sury, they've been worst enemies all game thanks to peace weights. That's probably why he's fallen behind in tech, hopefully he takes Sury down a notch. I'll probably sell literature to Wang for his money, and then I'll adopt OR and buddy up with Sury. I'm not in position for more big wars until rifling. When someone listed the most advanced civs, Zara and Sury were 2 and 3, which implies that there could be a monster on the other continent. Hopefully it was just a 1 tech lead on the other 2, and some religious wars slow him down because all early religions were founded far away.

Definitely a much harder map than the last MS game, but I think I'm in solid position.

Man - I hate when these things are posted on a night when I work late. It's too late to start up with the file, but tough to not check out all the spoilers too. I'll have to give this a go tomorrow night. Looks like a lot of people wasted no time diving in on this one!

^^^ Tell me about it.

I can't keep up! I still haven't played the Ghengis Kahn game either, and I want to.

Maybe this weekend.

Can someone post a picture of the start as a teaser and for opening thoughts?

Nano...cmon...that trick is pretty low.

BUT, if you can play DIRTY.................

SO CAN I :lol:!

Emp/normal to 1818 VICTORY. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!

Spoiler :
That said, this game was a ridiculous, ugly, asinine mess. Let's get started early! Mass forest start with poor food. Worker worker settler shoot! Bronze working instantly, then AG! Whabam!

Uh oh.

It never materialized though!

No copper huh. We have horse though....

Te hee.

Who cares if zara has things like maces and longbows. I still have HA. During this war I do whip some cats. Actually, I just massively whipped from all cities except my capitol the entire game.

I win zara! Zara! You be dead zara! bow down!

Ook, wang is next. He's almost to grenadiers, but I have KNIGHTS and MUSKETS, and TREBS. EASY WAR.

RAWR

oh crap oh crap oh crap oh crap oh crap oh crap oh crap oh crap oh crap oh crap oh crap oh crap oh crap oh crap oh crap oh crap oh crap oh crap oh crap oh crap

Victoria has 46% of the world's pop, and none of the world likes me too much due to triple vassaling my continent. But hey! There's a solution!

I'M GONNA FLY LIKE AN EAGLE, INTO THE FUTURE.

Or,

Cheese the AP.

She declared on me but it was too late, sucka.

GFG.

TMIT
Spoiler :

Hehe ;)
i guess you liked that hot english babe with a dragon on her flag :)
initially it was mao, but i decided he can't handle the huge continent alone and still tech well. and Darius would be too peaceful, so Viki!
in fact, it's only change by me! - all other is RNG... and you still don't love tectonics ? :lol:

EDIT:
I also see your water poison AI in the map. where did you put him? and how was he going?

Emperor/epic to 520AD:

Spoiler :

No bronze and quickly boxed. The chariot rush was an option but went to IW&Cats instead. Had Iron for a moment, but Zara stole it with his culture, so eventually attacked with Skirmishers & Cats. Took Zaras border holy city and his capital. Then he got feudalism and agreed to be a vassal of Wang. Poor land, difficult to took L-bows out and Wang sent a stack with Hwachas so I took peace. I had an army and Sury hadn't got L-bows yet, so I declared on him. Took his border city and capital, but lost almost all cats, so I had to stop there. Probably finish him with maces later. Wang is only cautious to Sury and Zara is not an issue.

Civ4ScreenShot0487.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0488.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0489.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0490.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0491.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0492.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0493.JPG

I played about 30 or so turns of this last night - not enough to write a report, but enough for initial observations:

Spoiler :

Boxed in between 2 creative civs with no copper and no land, and with no immediate benefit from financial. That sucks. Better have iron or horsies.

Oh, and I can never resist a good worker steal. Sorry Sury.

I played about 30 or so turns of this last night - not enough to write a report, but enough for initial observations:

Spoiler :

Boxed in between 2 creative civs with no copper and no land, and with no immediate benefit from financial. That sucks. Better have iron or horsies.

Oh, and I can never resist a good worker steal. Sorry Sury.

I did the same thing to him, poor guy.

@Ai Shizuka
Spoiler :
It's hard to tell how fast the other continent is teching - really only have philosophy to tell you anything - and that's usually bulbed by an AI. It was 460 AD i think in your game which isn't that fast. Wang teching slow in your game should help. I don't think you're as far behind in tech as you think - it all depends on the map how fast the AI's tech. Judaism and Hinduism (i think) both were founded overseas so that means there's a good chance they aren't trading like crazy with each other. The tech in my game doesn't seem to be going very fast either - won't know for sure until optics though. Most of the games are looking very similar because there aren't too many options to choose from. Boxed in by 2 creative neighbors - not much choice on what to do... The difference in my game was i attacked sury first, and will go after zara next. Zara will declare at pleased, and had me worried since he was wheoohrn for a long time while i was fighting sury - but sury was the target, not me. Are you planning on finishing off Sury when your peace treaty expires? I would... you'll meet the other AI's soon and don't have to worry about wang not trading when it's just the two of you.

Basically i think once sury and zara are eliminated the game will be won (i think) - that should be enough land, and leaves only wang, who doesn't declare at pleased, and only will have 1 capital instead of 3. (there is the other 3 AI's to worry about too i suppose...) I really am interested in whatever late game change Nano made - still no guarantee i'm gonna make it to the late game yet though! I will feel much better about this game after i start the war with zara.

Tempesta:

Spoiler :

No, I don't plan to finish Sury anytime soon. His land is really mediocre and he's a nice buffer between me and Wang. I actually hope he'll offer his vassalization at some point. We are almost friendly and his power is very low. Wang doesn't declare at pleased, so I'm 100% safe. I'll just focus on cottages/infrastructures now and tech to cavalry.

Played all the way from 500AD to a 1948 cultural victory. I kind of meant to stop a long time ago, but this game was as interesting as a culture game can possibly be. The spoiler is screen shot intensive to replace saying hit enter a lot.

Spoiler :
I did what I planned on doing before, siding with Sury against WK and a tiny Zara. Unfortunately, I picked the wrong side. Zara peacefully vassaled to WK, and subsequently got longbows for free, making it a lot tougher to take a city. As expected, WK declared on Sury. He asked me to join in, and I did, and sent my stack of swordsman off to take Zara's city that was pressing mine. It was guarded by a few longbows, but at only 20% on flat ground, it fell easier than any other city I took. While I was doing this, WK was running over Sury. He quickly took 3 or 4 cities, and Sury vassaled to WK in a few turns. Now I'm at war with all 3 AI's. I was able to get peace for CoL though, and eventually got everyone back to friendly despite 2 -6's from Zara and a lot of demerits from WK.

From here, I started teching towards liberalism. I got the event that I seem to get every game:

Always a welcome boost on the path to lib. I got up to 1 turn from lib, and started teching the prerequisites for rifling. I could see everyone's research on my continent, so I assumed I was fine (I hadn't met the person running a 32 peaceful cities challenge yet.) And eventually:

I got it very late, and in my experience, Vicky is one of the AI's that will actually go after lib. Surprising that I got it, but I'm not complaining.

Here is where I had to decide on my victory condition. I was at a one tech advantage on my continent, but against 3 AI's, and with an unstoppable one waiting after that, I decided against army. Vicky is too big for me to win UN, so that leaves culture. Clearly not ideal since I didn't build Sistine, I have a total of 1 religion for cathedrals, my best cities are ~2000 culture at 1450AD, and I haven't built many culture buildings yet. Besides that, it's easy.

I actually managed to pop a GPro with only 1 temple for GPP for the shrine. Every GP had a ~20% chance to be one, and I got it on my second try:

The shrine brought in about ~30 gpt base end game. Too bad the city is in such crappy land. The shrine was well spread enough to be a good Wall Street city though.

From here I just went all out culture. I built the Hermitage in Aksum, and built a Confucian Academy in my 3 culture cities. I actually popped copper on a hill for 2X production when I was a few turns off of my last one. WK wouldn't trade me his extra one because he didn't like me enough, even though we were friendly.

I turned off research after nat/rifling and upped the culture slider to 90-100% for the rest of the game. I still teched off constitution, democracy and steam power at ~100 turns each though.

Eventually I find out I'm the culture leader:

Here's where the fun began. I got my first city:

You knew he would pay for taking those horses, it took some 4000 years, but I got them back. And another one:

This was Zara's new capital, some loyal people he has. And his last one:

This one took forever to flip. He was eventually down to controlling 3 tiles in the cities BFC between me and WK, and 1 of those was desert. The city I took off of Zara also went from being crushed under culture pressure to being a full culture force. It felt good giving creative leaders a taste of their own medicine.

These cities jumping to me had an added effect as well. I was only a few votes behind WK for running against Vicky, and those cities put me at #2. I figured since all the Confu guys love me I could control the UN:

No way, Vicky is too monstrous.

Then I run into an unexpected problem. What would you assume would be the biggest threat to my win? Vicky by space? Vicky by domination? Vicky by diplo? The AI rigged to be a runaway superpower doing anything? anyone invading me? Nope, the second smallest civ, Ramses, with only 3 cities. You only need 3 for culture. I had a big lead on him since I turned on the slider earlier, but he had the advantage of teching to MM. He was gaining on me all game, to the point where victory was very much in question. I had nowhere near the military necessary to go razing, and Vicky wasn't far behind with space anyway.

He eventually passed me with each of our last cities ~20 turns to go. All my cities were ~67k, but I had 2 GArtists saved for my 2 weaker cities. I turned to my GP farm, and eventually, I get what I needed:

Unfortunately, it takes him a turn to jog over to Aksum, and the game can never make it easy, the diplo win option comes up, I vote for myself, and half to depend on the weaklings.

Zara broke free from WK and sided with V instead. Ramses and Saladin flipped between vassals of Vicky and not all game. Luckily she never got all of them to vote for her at once. If only she had run free religion...

I actually have to thank WK, Vicky was bearing down on him for some 100 years late game. He took a beating, but didn't lose a city. If he had vassaled, I may have lost to domination when she re-picked up Sal or Ram.

Next turn I created 3 great works, and voila:

Ramses was very close to winning culture, and Vicky was engines away from launching a space ship, but all for nothing. Hit enter one more time, and:

Here are my big 4 cities, Timbuktu, my weakest culture city:

Djenne:

and Zara's capital:

And the last city that mattered, my GP farm, very mediocre, but my top choice was out of the question since I didn't think ahead and built Moai/HE there. This worked enough though, I got 5 GA's, barely enough:

And some postgame shots:

Vicky was slightly ahead in power:

Statistics:

And last, but not least, the score:

Much higher than I expected, since I barely won, but I'll certainly take Hammy.

Great game as always, unfortunately I played this one too quickly, so now I have to wait a week for the next one...

@Phil725
Spoiler :

Congratulations!
Ramesses attempting cultural is exactly what i expected from the map!

I should have replaced WK with other Fin leader, with lower peaceweight, (PII would be great i guess) to make Vikizilla attack you instead of him. Well, the RNG was already too kind creating this map, i shouldn't desire more...

Top Bottom