SGOTM 09 - Maintenance Thread

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter

BtS SGOTM 09 - Back to the Future

Welcome to the C-IV SGOTM 09 Maintenance thread. This thread gives you and the Staff somewhere to post about non-spoiler issues relating to the game. It is a way of communicating to the rest of the players outside your team, and with the staff about matters that affect your team or everyone. You can post about bugs, rule clarifications, problems with the roster etc., but please do not divulge information about your team's progress. Please subscribe to this thread so that you are kept up to date with new information as the game proceeds.

The team lists are at the end of this post.

The Game
This is the second Beyond the Sword SGOTM. Thanks, Gyathaar :thumbsup:

You are Pericles of Greece. You have travelled back to 4000 BC, but you took with you a knowledge of several modern technologies. Your task is now to return to the modern era as fast as possible, and to reach for the stars.

This is a Quick speed, Monarch difficulty game on a Standard sized mystery map. There are no goody huts, no events and no city razing.

Pericles is Philosophical and Creative. The Phalanx is your unique unit, replacing the Axeman; and the Odeon unique building replaces the Colosseum. As well as your usual starting techs, Hunting and Fishing, you brought with you a comprehensive library of text books.

The Objective
All victory conditions are enabled, but laurels will be awarded to teams with the quickest Space victories.

Versions
This game will be played in Civilization IV Beyond the Sword, version 3.17, using HoF Mod 3.17.001.

If a later BtS patch is released during this game you will NOT be able to use it to play. You will need to complete this game in version 3.17 before updating your copy of BtS, or create and update a separate copy.

As there is no Mac version of BtS, Mac players can only join in if they are able to run the Windows version on their system.

Schedule
  • The Team threads will open shortly.
  • The start files will be published here on Friday, March 27.
  • The latest Save for your team will be linked on the Progress and Results Page throughout the game.
  • Please plan to complete the game within three months of the start date.
  • NOTE: Barring unforeseen disasters there will be a four month final deadline.
    I shall declare winners and losers from those teams that have finished on July 27, 2009.
Starting Position
Here's the starting position - click the image below to see a larger version.

Map Parameters
  • Playable Leader/Civ - Pericles of the Greek Empire.
  • Characteristics - Philosophical and Creative, starts with Hunting and Fishing
  • You and all the AI also know Fascism, Scientific Method, Physics, Medicine, Flight, Machinery, Replaceable Parts and Superconductors
  • Unique Unit - Phalanx (Axeman)
  • Unique Building - Odeon (Colosseum)
  • Difficulty - Monarch
  • Game Speed - Quick (330 turns)
  • World size - Standard
  • Rivals - Probably
  • Landform - Mystery
  • Environment - Not saying
  • Other settings - No city razing, No goodie huts, No events
Notes
  • Please visit the Civ4 SGOTM reference thread to check out the rules and procedures to ensure that you are adequately prepared for this game.
  • Teams will compete for up to four awards - the Gold, Silver and Bronze Laurels for the teams with the fastest Spaceship victories, and the Wooden Spoons for the finishing team with the lowest final score.
  • All saved game files uploaded to the server are parsed through software that extracts and archives data about your save, including reload count for each turn set.
  • Spoiler information will absolutely NOT be tolerated in this thread.

Current Team Lists
This is a dynamic feed from the database.

Enjoy your game, and the best of luck :)

Subscribing. Wonder Bumpkins will have an answer to whether they're changing their name to Greece Lightning in the next couple of days. :)

As it was said in pregame, "eventually". But in my self-constructed test games there popped no barbs when everybody got the mentioned techs.

I think that may just be because when you mess with the WorldBuilder, the barbs lose all their techs (or somesuch), and you have to manually add them back in. I don't remember exactly though, I haven't done any messing about myself yet. :)

Just so you know.. the game WILL have barbarians... if they pop or not in the game depends on how your give the techs to the civs...

If you give the techs to the civs in the worldbuilder, then no barbarians will pop during the game.. however if you do it by editing the WB file in a text editor, then they will pop
(the secret is what the StartingEra= line in the individual player sections in the WB file says)

Actually.. barbarians will be a bit meaner in this game than in normal games... so beware... :evil:

Just so you know.. the game WILL have barbarians... if they pop or not in the game depends on how your give the techs to the civs...

If you give the techs to the civs in the worldbuilder, then no barbarians will pop during the game.. however if you do it by editing the WB file in a text editor, then they will pop
(the secret is what the StartingEra= line in the individual player sections in the WB file says)

Actually.. barbarians will be a bit meaner in this game than in normal games... so beware... :evil:

So... barbs get techs, and starting era = ancient?

How so? I don't recall the raging barbarians setting being on. Or are you just referring to the fact that barbs will get extra techs? ;)

Mean barbs on quick? Without techs than instantly grant access to units that can actually spawn (no airships)? I wonder just how much this starting save has been doctored :lol:.

Are you referring to the world builder save file and not the game save? Is that in clear text?

There has been zero follow-up on the schedule for this game, which is included in the first post here, and in the first post in every team thread:

first post everywhere said:
  • Please plan to complete the game within three months of the start date.
  • NOTE: Barring unforeseen disasters there will be a four month final deadline.
    I shall declare winners and losers from those teams that have finished on July 27, 2009.
Either no one thinks I'm serious, or no one thinks it's a problem, or no one has read it.

- The first possibility can be eliminated. I'm serious.
- The second seems unlikely - there's always at least one complaint/question/concern/comment about anything new!
- I thought I had better restate it in case the third option applies - though if you didn't read it before, you probably won't read it here, either :hmm:

Any chance that the next SGOTM can be worked up during the time for this game. Having the pregame for the next round open up a couple of weeks before the end of this one would allow the next game to start with no delay in between.

(a) Why is that important?

(b) If (??) everyone finishes this game ahead of my deadline you would still have to wait if we decide not to start the sign-up for SGOTM 10 until over three months time.

(b) If (??) everyone finishes this game ahead of my deadline you would still have to wait if we decide not to start the sign-up for SGOTM 10 until over three months time.
Which would maintain this as the SGOTQ ... (game of the quarter)

There has been zero follow-up on the schedule for this game, which is included in the first post here, and in the first post in every team thread:

Either no one thinks I'm serious, or no one thinks it's a problem, or no one has read it.

- The first possibility can be eliminated. I'm serious.
- The second seems unlikely - there's always at least one complaint/question/concern/comment about anything new!
- I thought I had better restate it in case the third option applies - though if you didn't read it before, you probably won't read it here, either :hmm:
I read it, I am sure many did. I expect we all feel wildly optimistic that it will be no problem for this quick game.

Don't worry, the whining will come later, as the deadline approaches and our optimism proves unfounded ... :mischief:

We just have no basis now on which to protest ... :lol:

dV

I've read it, and appreciated it. Too long SGs bring to lost of focus/interest.

And i agree with Mesix (not only 'cause is a teammate): a SG every quarter, starting few days after the deadline of the previous one would better go in the spirit of GotM.

The deadline is four months, not three, so it would not achieve a SGOTQ.

My objective in setting a deadline is not to pressure Gyathaar for more frequent new games, but to try to stop the crazy situation where most teams finish and then have to wait for another three months for the results. By which time they've grown old, their children have grown old, and most players can't remember the game :eek:,

Top Bottom