SOTD23: Oasis On A River?

Ginger_Ale

Lurker
Retired Moderator
Thanks to kcs_hiker, a member since 2006 who has yet to make their first post!

"Never seen this before. Can you put a cottage on it?"

What kcs_hiker is referring to is the oasis is located on a river tile. Even more unusual is the fact that the oasis still produces 2 commerce -- it did not gain +1 commerce from being riverside. Perhaps this has to do with the game's map generation code, something that has caused non-floodplain riverside desert tiles to appear in order to achieve a balance of rivers near starting locations? Maybe the game assigns oases to tiles after the map generation adds in rivers.

>> View the Screenshot of the Day gallery and submit your own image!

ya know, if you wanna cheat a bit with that, you can overlay that tile with plains and floodplains and have a really nice production without improvements. ;)

Once I was messing around with a map script. I got floodplains to generate on ALL tiles next to rivers. You haven't seen food until you've seen floodplained grassland with pigs on it.

My guess would be that oasises are already considered river tiles... they share the other characteristic of being a land tile that is fresh water.

ya know, if you wanna cheat a bit with that, you can overlay that tile with plains and floodplains and have a really nice production without improvements. ;)

I understand Plains+Oasis instead of Desert+Oasis, but can you really make a Desert+Flood Plains+Oasis or a Plains+Flood Plains+Oasis tile? I thought that the same tile can't have both Oasis and Flood Plains.

The only improvement you can build on an Oasis tile is a road or railroad.
It's also the only land tile you can move to but not build a city on ;)

Playing with World Builder a bit, you cannot have floodplain and oasis on the same tile. So you can do something like this to get the maximum production without improvements.

Top Bottom