Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION III > Civ3 - General Discussions

Old Sep 11, 2002, 04:17 PM   #1
cgannon64
BOB DYLAN'S ROCKIN OUT!

Relocating Resources

I'm confused here.

I know some people will swear that if you don't hook up resources, they won't relocate. Then I hear from other people that they relocate whether you hook them up or not. I would really like to know which is true. Please only post if you are sure, I don't want any maybes.

The reason I ask this is because in my current game, I have all five saltpeters on my island. So for I've only hooked up one, and I plan to leave the others not hooked up, if it is true that not hooking them up protects them from relocation. I want to keep the edge on my oppponents, b/c conquering them (I already have half the continent and two civs down) will be much easier with knight vs. pike and calvary vs. pike.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 11, 2002, 05:03 PM   #2
Proteus
King

Iīve seen strategic Ressources within my Cultural Borders disappearing, which werenīt connected by Roads, so I think it doesnīt matter, wether the Ressource is connected or not.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2002, 06:05 PM   #3
Bamspeedy
Drinking with Obama

I have NEVER seen a strategic resource disappear without it being hooked up. (but of course, I always hook them up right away). How do you know they disappeared? Do you watch them very closely and purposely not connect them? Because the only time you get notified that they disappeared is when you get the message "our .... supply has been depleted" message, which you will not get if you don't have it connected.

When I used the scout resource denial tactic (where you sit a scout on an iron, so the AI can't connect to it), you would think that these iron sources would have sometimes disappeared, but they never did.
Old Sep 11, 2002, 06:09 PM   #4
Panzar75
King

Perhaps someone could ask this at the upcomming IRC chat?
It would sure be nice to know for sure.
Panzar75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2002, 06:28 PM   #5
cgannon64
BOB DYLAN'S ROCKIN OUT!

It does not matter in my current game, b/c of Tokugawa and his ****ing samuri, grumble grumble grumble, he does not need saltpeter to destroy my knights, grumble...
Old Sep 11, 2002, 10:28 PM   #6
Knight-Dragon
Hidden Dragon

It seems to be kind of random to me and affecting all resources, whether hooked up or not. The best bet is to seize and hold as much territory as possible to max the possiblity of having the resources within your territory. Common sensical.
Knight-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2002, 11:34 PM   #7
Yndy
Emperor

I applied the non hooking of resources to avoid relocation and I can confirm Bamspeedy's message (I've never seen them dissapear without being hooked).

I applied this in the late game as I had about 50% of the land mass and 75% of the resources.

I have only lost the resource hooked up for my use. And I gained a couple of resources that relocated from the enemy.
Old Sep 12, 2002, 01:18 AM   #8
Lt. 'Killer' M.
Deity

On my two PCs, non-hooked up res NEVER relocate unless hooked up.
Lt. 'Killer' M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2002, 02:39 AM   #9
Evincar
Iron works is a legend!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Lt. 'Killer' M.
On my two PCs, non-hooked up res NEVER relocate unless hooked up.
Yeah sure, but wasn't you who had resources reappering in the very same place?? Since you don't really get the relocation message, the resource could have dissapeared, then reapeared on the same tile, so who knows...
Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2002, 03:01 AM   #10
Lt. 'Killer' M.
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Evincar

Yeah sure, but wasn't you who had resources reappering in the very same place?? Since you don't really get the relocation message, the resource could have dissapeared, then reapeared on the same tile, so who knows...
that happenes, but I get multiple messages - disappeared, new one appeared... sometimes I get four messages on the same spot.
Old Sep 12, 2002, 04:24 AM   #11
TheNiceOne
Emperor

I can only say that my experience is the same as Killer's: I have never noticed an unhooked resource disappear, and I have a few times noticed hooked up resources reappear in the same square (with both disappear and reappear messages).
Old Sep 12, 2002, 04:30 AM   #12
warpstorm
Yumbo? Yumbo!

I did some tests on this a while ago. I built a scenario with very high probability of relocation on a turn. Unless Firaxis changed something in 1.29f, I can say with very high confidence that resources do not shift if not connected. They will shift if connected even if you aren't actively using them by building stuff.
Old Sep 12, 2002, 06:21 AM   #13
ukrneal
Warlord

Here's the Scoop...

I wish I could remember the thread this comes from, but I'm sure it was directly from Firaxis.

If you do not ever connect the resource, it will NOT disappear. So this is an effective method of preserving a resource.

If you hook it up, there is a chance it will disappear. This is true even if you subsequently unhook it from the system. That is, if you have ever connected a resource at some point in the past, there is still a chance it will disappear.
ukrneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2002, 06:36 AM   #14
Dran
Chieftain

Sorry if this has been answered before, but which resources can relocate and which can't ?
(eg. I have read on this forum that rubber never relocates, but obviously iron can).
Dran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2002, 06:41 AM   #15
Lt. 'Killer' M.
Deity

ukrneal: thanx for pointing this out.....

Dran: Rubber, Horses can't disappear... for the others - afaik all can, but check that in the editor....
Old Sep 12, 2002, 07:28 AM   #16
Proteus
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Bamspeedy
I have NEVER seen a strategic resource disappear without it being hooked up. (but of course, I always hook them up right away). How do you know they disappeared? Do you watch them very closely and purposely not connect them? Because the only time you get notified that they disappeared is when you get the message "our .... supply has been depleted" message, which you will not get if you don't have it connected.

I had some Coal in a Jungle Tile which wasnīt hoked up (I had enough coal in other Parts of my Realm and my workers had other useful work to do than hooking another useless ressource up) and I watched the Ressource disappear one year or the other.
Canīt provide a savegame to prove it though.
Old Sep 12, 2002, 12:37 PM   #17
Marx
Warlord

Hmm maybe a other civ had connected the resource on their (rail)roadnetwork...
Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2002, 02:32 PM   #18
Proteus
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Marx
Hmm maybe a other civ had connected the resource on their (rail)roadnetwork...
I doubt it. The Persians had built a City there, just outside of my Borders (just a couple of turns before I could build a settler and settle there). It had no workers remained small throughout its History in the Persian Empire, was isolated from the Rest of Persia and Culture-Flipped into my Empire maybe 400 years later. The Spot was on 2 Sides surrounded by the Ocean and on the other 2 Sides sorrounded by my cultural borders and was deep within a jungle (which was also the reason, the Persian City remained small ).
But as I said I think canīt provide you with saves, as I normally delete them regularly (but I will look, if there is a remaining save).

Iīll just look after the ressources in the next games (letting most of them unconnected) and maybe mod some Ressources for a higher probability of disappearing, just to check it up
Old Sep 12, 2002, 03:30 PM   #19
sabo
My Ancestors were Vikings

If you don't hook up to in anyway why would you even care or not if it dissappeared. If you dont' hook up too it sure it may not dissappear but what friggin' good does THAT do you?
Old Sep 12, 2002, 04:33 PM   #20
WillJ
Coolness Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally posted by sabo10
If you don't hook up to in anyway why would you even care or not if it dissappeared. If you dont' hook up too it sure it may not dissappear but what friggin' good does THAT do you?
Sure, if you are just keeping an unconnected resource till when the connected one dissapears, you would then have to connect the other one, and then it might dissapear. I don't think it would make a difference if you just connected it immediately, BUT remember that resources have terrain bonuses. You would still get the bonuses if it's not connected, and it wouldn't dissapear. Although if the resource isn't in a city radius, then I guess you're right; it is silly to wait to connect a resource.