Important Relationship Question

What do I do?

• Total voters

downtown

Crafternoon Delight
Okay. Here is the scenario.

I'm over at my girlfriend's house, and we're both doing some homework. I have my ipod plugged into the speakers, and its softly playing some of my music. Eventually, music from Bruce Springsteen's Born To Run (the greatest rock album ever made) comes on. First, Jungleland comes on...and after about a min and a half, she says "This song is boring. Can we listen to a different one?"

I was pretty taken aback, but I understand that Jungleland can be a little bit of an acquired taste, and me and the lady friend have pretty different tastes in music (she listens to Lil' Wayne without a trace of irony, for example. I don't)...so I change the song to one that I thought was universally adored...Thunder Road.

About 2 min into the song, she starts laughing and says "this song is so gay! You don't really like it do you?"

I've been dating this girl for about 6 months now, and this had been getting pretty serious. However, this revelation may change everything. Its one thing to not like Thunder Road or Bruce...but to outright mock it? Does this expose other character flaws that I perhaps had been ignoring?

You might say "Dude. its just a song"...but its so much more. It would be like Whomp loving a woman who says the "White Sox are just a baseball team", or Igloo loving a woman who thought guns were stupid, and whips were something only used by Viking Slave-Drivers. Heck, it would be like Abadon loving a high school graduate.

What do I do? Poll Coming.

De gustibus non est disputandum

(there is no disputing about tastes)

That's fairly rude. I've never heard of lil wayne, but with a name like that it's unlikely to be good. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. If they do, they're clearly unbalanced .

ive never heard of this song till now, and after checking it out i must agree with your girlfriend.

Well to be honest it is only just music. I would not get too angry should my future girlfriend says that classical music is stupid. It is important to focus on what both of you like doing together. If you want to listen to music, try and listen to things both of you like, meaning that when yu want to have some quiet time with the music you like and she doesn't then just allow for that. Remmber that everyone is different, so respect her for that.

On a side note, why do old people think Bruce Springsteen is so great? Whenever I hear someone saying they like him, I can automatically receive signals about just how out of touch and old they are. I don't even know know Bruce Springsteen is. Is he from the seventies or the ****** pop-eighties or something?

But I'm listening to the song and the song is simply not universally adorable at the present. It sounds like bland and generic wedding music. Dude, I know you might be greatly into music and what not, but this seems too obscure of a pick. Try Angel Corpse next time ;)

Does this expose other character flaws that I perhaps had been ignoring?

Hard to say, but you should start looking for more right now. Maybe she's just in a bickering mood? I know that I can be...

It's over. Although I personally think "The Boss" sucks, both musically and politically (and it's obvious he has been a bad influence on you), her using gay as a pejorative and listening to Lil Wayne (whoever the hell that is) is inexcusable. She might have a highschool degree, but it hardly sounds like it. If she has a college degree, then she is a really late (or never) bloomer.

Drop that zero and get you a hero!

On a side note, why do old people think Bruce Springsteen is so great? Whenever I hear someone saying they like him, I can automatically receive signals about just how out of touch and old they are. I don't even know know Bruce Springsteen is. Is he from the seventies or the ****** pop-eighties or something?

But I'm listening to the song and the song is simply not universally adorable at the present.

The Rising, his release in 2002, was number one on the charts, sold a half million copies in a week, and won a Grammy. It was one of the only albums to get a perfect 5 star rating from Rolling Stone. Magic, in 2007, was also critically acclaimed, named one of the best records of 2007, and was nominated for a Grammy.

Being a fan hardly makes one musically out of touch. He's still a large figure in current Rock.

Okay. Here is the scenario.

I'm over at my girlfriend's house, and we're both doing some homework. I have my ipod plugged into the speakers, and its softly playing some of my music. Eventually, music from Bruce Springsteen's Born To Run (the greatest rock album ever made) comes on. First, Jungleland comes on...and after about a min and a half, she says "This song is boring. Can we listen to a different one?"

I was pretty taken aback, but I understand that Jungleland can be a little bit of an acquired taste, and me and the lady friend have pretty different tastes in music (she listens to Lil' Wayne without a trace of irony, for example. I don't)...so I change the song to one that I thought was universally adored...Thunder Road.

About 2 min into the song, she starts laughing and says "this song is so gay! You don't really like it do you?"

I've been dating this girl for about 6 months now, and this had been getting pretty serious. However, this revelation may change everything. Its one thing to not like Thunder Road or Bruce...but to outright mock it? Does this expose other character flaws that I perhaps had been ignoring?

You might say "Dude. its just a song"...but its so much more. It would be like Whomp loving a woman who says the "White Sox are just a baseball team", or Igloo loving a woman who thought guns were stupid, and whips were something only used by Viking Slave-Drivers. Heck, it would be like Abadon loving a high school graduate.

What do I do? Poll Coming.

You need a gf with better taste. ;)

She didn't like your music. That is all. I can't say that I agree with her, and her method was tactless to say the least, but I don't think it's some deep, dark character flaw.

The issue is not whether Thunder Road is a good song or whether Springsteen is a good musician, of course. What matters is whether a relationship can continue if one member dislikes something that the other considers to be important.

Top Bottom