Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION III > Civ3 - Creation & Customization > Civ3 - Utility Programs

Old Jul 08, 2003, 01:25 PM   #1
assanine
Chieftain

Civ 3 City Placement Utility

I have completed the code for my program I call "Civ 3 City Placement Utility". Here is a list of features:

-runs as a seperate program, in no way hooks into and civ 3 executables(alt+tab to display it over your civ game)
-allows placement, removal and relocation of a capital
-upon placement or movement of a capital the program calculates the distance from the capital of every displayed tile and displays it on the window
-allows placement and removal of cities
-capital is filled with a red color, cities with a purple color
-display's the "21" tiles use by a city in pink...any tiles being used by more than one city(overlapping) are displayed in a darker pink
-highlights (in yellow) and given distance from the capital to easily pick out all possible city locations for that distance
-allows user to increase/decrease the opacity of the overlay form

here is a screen shot: http://members.rogers.com/egrweb/3.jpg

I will make this available for download after further testing
assanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 08, 2003, 01:32 PM   #2
Lenvik
Pathological lurker

Looks great! I'll definitely try it out once you make it available!
Lenvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 08, 2003, 01:35 PM   #3
Sprays Diarrhea
Chieftain

Wow, that really looks cool. I can't wait to get my hands on it. Way to go assanine !! I'm curious, what program did u use to write it? And how many hours of coding was it?
Sprays Diarrhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 08, 2003, 01:55 PM   #4
assanine
Chieftain

Thanks all.
The program was coded in VB.NET(2003). I personally hate VB 6 now that I have made the switch to managed code.
Anyone running WIN XP and keeps it updated should be able to run it by just opening the executable(no registry entries).

As far as how long it took. I would say between 6-8 hours. Part of the reason for doing this was to work with the drawing namespace in .NET. I had some learning to do wich ate up a chunk of time. Also diffucult was figuring out the calculation Firaxis used. Like the isometric grid generation and distance calculation based on x,y pixel coordinates. An hour was spent on "refactoring" which is a method of optimizing code. I Always do this.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that there are no images used to make this program. Everything displayed on the screen is drawn completely with code. This makes the program one file with no installation needed.

If there is anyone out there learning VB.NET or wants the calculations I used let me know. I will send u the source files or just the source code in text format. There is nothing revolutionary here so I don't mind sharing.
assanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 08, 2003, 03:57 PM   #5
Chieftess

I'm making a city calc (designed to show production and growth over a given time) myself, and just figured out how to do isometric grids without DirectX - also using DirectX. I have VB6.0 for Win98SE, BTW. Looks good. I know I use Paint Shop Pro and just paste layers over it.
How to upload multiple files to a post | File Upload | Paint Shop Pro 3.11 shareware (screenshot util - doesn't expire) | Chieftess' Culture Flip Calc | Don't wind up like this AI! | resource icons file To download a patch: Select "Advanced" from the main menu, and go to "Check for Updates". || My Web Journal (yes, it's a "blog")
Chieftess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 09, 2003, 04:52 PM   #6
kring
Asst Cook & Bottle Washer

It looks good; I can't wait to try it out.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 01:38 PM   #7
kbj
Chieftain

Great Idea, Looks Good but when can we expect the real thing.
kbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2003, 10:52 AM   #8
tao
Deity

assanine: It would be a great help to have a screenshot of just your overlay without the civ map in the background. That way, we could use it as overlay for screenshots, even
  • while you are still working on the program
  • for us Macintosh players.
Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 05, 2003, 08:52 AM   #9
Shevek
Prince

assanine, any news on this? When do you think it might be finished? It sounds really good and I'd love to try.
Old Nov 10, 2003, 10:16 AM   #10
RougeKing
Chieftain

Looks cool from the screen shot. I would like to be able to see the city footprint will be when deciding where a new city goes.
What is the release date.
RougeKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 10:57 PM   #11
ArmPilot
Warlord

This thing still coming out or is it dead?
BTW: the link to the screenshot is broken.
ArmPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 07, 2010, 07:45 AM   #12
jmalone64
Chieftain

I am looking for a map editor that allows a person to add/remove cities, and add/remove units inside of those cities. can anyone direct me to this type of editor?
jmalone64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 07, 2010, 07:34 PM   #13
General 666
Culturebringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalone64 View Post
I am looking for a map editor that allows a person to add/remove cities, and add/remove units inside of those cities. can anyone direct me to this type of editor?
You can do this with the regular editor.
Load the scenario biq.
Right-click on a city and choose properties from the context menu that pop up.
There you can delete the whole city or one/some unit(s).

anyway ,right-clicking is the key
Old May 07, 2010, 09:35 PM   #14
Quintillus
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalone64 View Post
Which version of Civilization III do you have? If you have Civ3 Complete or Civilization III: Conquests, the regular editor will do what you want, as General 666 indicated. If you have the regular version of Civilization III, you cannot add/remove cities or units to the map, and will have to buy the Complete version to get this ability. If you like Civ3, the Complete version is well worth the investment. It's also required to play most of the current mods, as most of the modders moved to it shortly after it came out due to its superior modding tools.
Quintillus is offline   Reply With Quote