3.19 free tech bug

TheMeInTeam

If A implies B...
I think HoF should officially ban this before it becomes a major issue. Under current HoF rules I'm not sure it's officially illegal, since this one does not require reloads. Apparently if you select your free tech and pull up the civlopedia on it simultaneously, you can get the tech but keep the tech selection screen afterward.

As opening the civlopedia and building the oracle are individually not HoF banned, this is a dangerous move. However, given its implications on gameplay (future tech in 1800 BC on deity if it works as I understand it), it kind of breaks the spirit of competition as ASAP oracle would be the ONLY viable action if it's allowed. Since a poster was able to reproduce it under BUFFY, I find this somewhat of a HoF/XOTM emergency.

After reviewing the rules again, I can only conclude that rejecting games that use this tactic would be rejecting VALID games under the current rules!!!! Definitely a problem if others reproduce it.

This is so obviously an exploit that unbalances the game that anyone using it should know better than to submit such a game.

If someone has already submitted a game taking advantage of this please fess up now. Once I figure out an automated check we will rescreen all accepted games.

Well its easy to spot i guess. If you happen to research multiple techs after building the oracle then you know something is fishy.

Since a poster was able to reproduce it under BUFFY, I find this somewhat of a HoF/XOTM emergency.

The game in question under BUFFY was flagged as "The assets are different from a standard install" so I'm trying to find out whether an unofficial patch or another mod causes the issue.

I was unable to reproduce this bug using a valid HOF game under BUFFY. Any chance we can get someone else to confirm (or deny) this?

The game in question under BUFFY was flagged as "The assets are different from a standard install" so I'm trying to find out whether an unofficial patch or another mod causes the issue.

I was unable to reproduce this bug using a valid HOF game under BUFFY. Any chance we can get someone else to confirm (or deny) this?

I got it to work in a HOF valid game (Locked Modified Assets) with BUFFY. You have to click the mouse buttons perfectly or it won't work.

This is a completely valid, deep, and realistic strategy and anyone who opposes it is an oppressive bore.

Well, not really. But I wanted to add some tension to that thread.

This is no exploit. It is a flat-out violation of game rules: the oracle is supposed to grant ONE free technology. Glitching the game to circumvent the game rules is not an exploit, it is cheating. Exploits are to be encouraged...cheating is NOT :p. I'm glad this was dealt with swiftly.

I've tried and it also "works" in BUG 3.6, so it's obviously not specific to buffy.
I haven't tried in a mod that doesn't include the sevopedia.

It was originally posted as a basic 3.19 bug so I'm assuming it will work with the vast majority of installs and probably most mods too.

Top Bottom