in defence of the gallant spearman

r16

not deity
now ı now there is a specific thread about the unreal parts in the Civ game and the ability of spearman to defeat tanks is naturally there too . Not that ı value suicidal tactics but only in defence of the game ı would put the picture below to that thread , but ı can't find it . Hence a new thread that can be deleted at will .

the weapon is most probably a Japanese copy of the German shaped charge hand mine and it could have been operational by 1946 . ı would also like to have to a translation to the Russian sentence below

Attachments

• 605753323.jpg
    605753323.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 591
I like the picture. I wonder where you dug it up from. The spearman beats tank phenomenon has been a running joke on the forums for years, not specific to any one thread.
The complaint was overcooked anyway, if you ask me. Tanks are only available late in the game, well after rails, and just one freaky combat result at that stage shouldn't make any difference to the game. Early game is a different story, because then you still only have a few units, and then an unhelpful RNG, like two swordsmen being unable to deal with a single warrior, can make a real difference. You bet I would curse the RNG then!

sorry for the delayed answer . ı found it googling last year for a picture of a Hellcat fighter plane ı had seen in a book and ı needed the use of the depiction online . Lacking scanner , ı looked up and down and chanced a Russian site where ı also saw this drawing . Thanks to Optional for the translation as well .

ı would have guessed a design study , the sentence implies it was operational , doesn't it ?

sorry for the delayed answer . ı found it googling last year for a picture of a Hellcat fighter plane ı had seen in a book and ı needed the use of the depiction online . Lacking scanner , ı looked up and down and chanced a Russian site where ı also saw this drawing . Thanks to Optional for the translation as well .

ı would have guessed a design study , the sentence implies it was operational , doesn't it ?

It, or something very like it, was definitely operational on Iwo & Okinawa.

However, that wasn't the only time spearmen defeated tanks. I never tire of pointing out Ethiopia in 1935. The Italians had to resort to machine guns, airplanes & finally poison gas to win out; tanks weren't enough.

kk

It, or something very like it, was definitely operational on Iwo & Okinawa.

However, that wasn't the only time spearmen defeated tanks. I never tire of pointing out Ethiopia in 1935. The Italians had to resort to machine guns, airplanes & finally poison gas to win out; tanks weren't enough.

kk

Because of the close and brushy scrubland, the Ethiopians based swarmed the tanks, jammed their treads, and forced the hatches open. The tanks the Italians did use where the L3 light tankettes though. Two man crew, limited traverse twin machine guns, no turret.

The Japanese did use what was called the lunge mine on Iwo and Okinawa. I will have to see if I have am image of it.

Top Bottom