CTP is the best civ game I have ever played.

J-S

Crusader
I'm sick of hearing people tearing down CTP without arguments. True, it was released buggy and maybe it still needed some playtesting to balance gamplay completetly: but it still blew me away. IMO, not even Civ3 compares to Civilization: Call to Power. It is definitely the best civ game I have ever played. Sid started the genre with Civ1, true. But CTP was one of those games that takes the genre and pushes it to the next level, raises it's own standards. I can't beleive how after a game like that anyone would release a civ game without space cities! Ilogical (yes, Activision included). I cannot say the same for CTP2 tho. To me, the secuel was kind of a dissapointement.
Anyway, the idea is that everyone post as short as possible good and bad things about CTP in comparison to other civ games like so:

:goodjob:
- PUBLIC WORKS!!!
- Wages, food rations and work hours tab.
- Space cities.
- Future technologies.
- Those 0 movement tubes.
- Excelent wonders.
- Multiple units combat sistem.
- Army creation sistem.
- Many goverment types.

:(
- A decent AI that just won't gtf out of your territory.
- Interface is 4/10 IMO.
- Units automatically loading into transports.
- Primitive diplomacy.
- No resources required for units/improvements (like Civ3).
- Lack of an official editor (like Civ3).
- Lack of unique units (like Civ3).

I think it is a blast. It has several features that greatly improve gameplay over Civ I & II, great wonders, and even the AI seems to be pretty good. The version I have was pre-patched, so I didn't have to do anything to enjoy this great (and at 5.00 bucks, very cheap) game.

Public works is a lifesaver. I don't know how I managed to play Alpha Centauri, Civilization II, Test of Time, etc. without it.

I agree completely with your comments, JS. I'd add that it has a decent Play-by-email (PBEM) function that has seen the CTP community's continued vibrancy in the face of CTP2 and Civ3.

Good,

-Trade System. Definate plus for CtP1, maybe its a little overpowering to the whole game, but the best way ive seen trade handled in a civ game.
-Combat system was new to civ at this point (see bad)
-Stealth units, some were crap but slavers etc good.

Bad,

-Some unbalanced units.
-Lets face it, the AI is pish for any decent player. (unmodded)
-Combat system. I think it was underdeveloped at this point, only really was completed in CtP2.

Personally i prefer CtP2, Multiplayer or modded, its just easier and quicker to play and draws me in more. Buildings are also less important in CtP2, units and balanced armies are more important. It also has Flanking units and 12 stack armies instead of 9 in CtP1. Science is driven by commerce instead of gold, which made gold overpowering in CtP1, but i still wish they kept the CtP1 trade system to earn gold.

J-S: get help ;)

That game is so tedious (my opinion for whatever it's worth). I didn't like Civ III for the same reason. I'm not prepared for the new generation of strategy games I guess.

Alpha centauri is the best ive played out of them so far.
I liked ctp butthe ai being poor, overpowered non combat units and diplomacy spoilt it a bit for me

Ellie

Alpha centauri is the best ive played out of them so far.
I liked ctp butthe ai being poor, overpowered non combat units and diplomacy spoilt it a bit for me

Ellie

I only played a few games each of CTP and SMAC.
First, because even though there were many great ideas (public works, work hours and salaries, space and subsea cities for CTP, prototypes, differences between factions), I found them too easy.
Then and mostly because when I changed my computer, I had a new OS and both CTP and SMAC don't run under Win 2K or XP...

I thought CTP was very groovy but I couldn't handle all the crashing and bugs. Maybe my equipment was too old. I noted on another thread that it corrupted my operating system once. And has anyone seen this, when a stack combining airforce and ground units attacks a city the interface doesn't resolve leaving the unit images outside the city though the application thinks they are inside it?

I love Civ III, but I'd take CTPII (with a good mod) anyday. In it's unmodded state, it's unplayable.

CTPI did have one of the most impressive AI moves I've ever seen: the AI civ launched an attack on me simultaneously on three different cities! I was amazed!

CTP was a great game (is still), but the crashes were too much. Civ III seems to be even more addictive for the simple fact that every game can be modified so much. The Game play is superior and the diplomacy is vastly improved. All in all I would have to give the nod to CivIII. But I still love CTP!

Civ III seems to be even more addictive for the simple fact that every game can be modified so much.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I missed this line. I think of many reasons (well, not many, but a few) why Civ3 might be better than CtP (which it isn't, of course :)), but someone actually thinks Civ3 beats CtP when it comes to modding??? :rotfl:

Best joke I heard all year :D

I can't choose a fav. game from SMAC(w/ expan.), CivIII, GalcCIV and CTP. Basically I like a certain something from all four titles.

CTP - Sea/Space, Technocracy, non-combate unites
This was simple amazing, and the "Star Ladder", absolutle love the concept.... (which exists in reality too). It definetly *forced* me to redefine my strategys and let me experience some membrable moments(such as building a space ring around the earth, having fascism as gov......if you read Robert A. Heinlens: Starship Troopers[Or watched th film] you'll know what im talking about). And the unites that do special stuff like slavers, clerics, eco-terr are really cool. You can become a nation of capalist scumbags that leech of other weaker nations (kinda like real life), LOL

SMAC(w/ expan) - Atrocities/Government :king:
Nerve stapling, nukes :nuke: making craters, and biological attacks, defiently great stuff...and the goverment model, ABSOLUTLY LOVE IT. W/ this style, I can *create* my own political system such as technocracy, dictatorship, and democracy(Social Demo. too!!). The best feature, unquestionable in my opinion.

Galactic Civ - Voting
If the people like you, they vote you in, if they don't you lose the election and lose significant political power(plus its cool represting a party). This should be in Civ4 if you pick Democracy/Republic....make it harder (make you work harder to get the financial benifets that *those* kind of goverments bring).

CivIII
I like the gameplay model, such as the sheilds for production, decent graphics....

Civ4 would be my fav. game if it had all the above points in it, along with some realism suprises to it..
:king:

i hated the slavers in ctp :(

Top Bottom