The Void

GVBN

Emperor
The English version is out and reviews are starting to appear, so I think it's time to make a thread for the game
Eurogamer review: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/the-void-review

Wikipedia has a short summary of the game in case you haven't heard of it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Void_(video_game)

The game is made by Ice-Pick Lodge, the same guys who made Pathologic. It features naked chicks called the Sisters, half man/half machine creatures called the Brothers, and Color

The game is very heavy on Color management. Color comes in 7 forms: Silver, Crimson, Amber, Azure, Violet, Emerald and Gold

Any Color you harvest ("Lympha") is placed in your "memory". You can use that Color to fill your hearts. The amount of Color you currently have in your hearts is your total health, and every Color has a special effect attached to it. Azure, for example, makes you run faster the more you have it in your hearts

While traveling in the Void the Color in your hearts will slowly drain and flow into your "palette". That Color ("Nerva") can be used to interact with the world and to draw Glyphs. To draw a Glyph you hold down CTRL and draw it with your mouse, very similar to how you cast spells in Arx Fatalis

Like Pathologic the game is unique and nothing like you've played before. Right now The Void is being sold on Mamba Games website, hopefully they'll release it on Steam too

Some screenshots:
Spoiler :

The world map of the Void

Body Obscura, the Color management screen

Garden

Mantid, one of the Brothers

Using the Donor Glyph to fill a Sister's heart

I think I'm going to write up a playthrough of this in the next few days with some pictures, if folks are interested.

Note: this game is hard. I have to start over for the fourth time thanks to a lack of planning.

Maniacal said:
So it... like... it does this and...

what the hell is this?

That's what I said the first three times. Starting off, I thought the core game mechanic was simple yet incredibly difficult to wrap my head around. Very fascinating, though.

Top Bottom