Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION REVOLUTION SERIES > CivRev - General Discussions

Notices

CivRev - General Discussions Forum for general Civilization Revolution discussions.

Old Nov 08, 2009, 12:41 PM   #1
UFDelt
Strategist

Revolution for Android?

I just got t he HTC Hero and I was wondering if there's any development for bringing this game to the Android OS. Does anyone know anything?
Old Dec 01, 2009, 03:10 PM   #2
honus
Chieftain

I just got a DROID and would love to play some Civ during my commute!

C'mon Sid, give us Civ Rev on Android!!
honus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2009, 08:09 AM   #3
ericball
Warlord

As per one of the podcasts, the iPhone version was started as a skunkworks project, i.e. unofficial. However, if the iPhone version of CivRev is profitable then I could see Firaxis exploring an Android version. Of course, it also depends on:
1. the Android platform is powerful enough to handle the CivRev engine
2. the interface is standardized & large enough to accomodate the UI (and ideally can be ported from one of the other versions without much effort)
3. the development tools are up to the task (again, without much effort)
4. the store & packaging provides for reliable payment & prevents piracy
ericball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2009, 10:53 AM   #4
Padma
the InBond

I am guessing that it will probably take another "skunkworks" type project. Although, like Eric said, if the iPhone version is sufficiently profitable, they just might do some official investigating of the possibility.

One reason I would love CivRev for the Droid is because it runs Linux as the OS -- the first step in getting Linux-Native Civ!

1st Lieutenant, USAF (Retired)
Registered Linux User #233241
My View Ramblings of a Professional Computer Geek-- My Blogs.
Padma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2009, 06:48 AM   #5
honus
Chieftain

I've been reading a lot about the difference between designing for iPhone and Android and it makes me think this might be less of a possibility.

iPhones all have the same size screen and there are only three different devices.

Android has so many different devices with different specs and screens that it sounds like a nightmare. But maybe they could do something specifically for devices that are powerful enough, perhaps only allow it to run on Android 2.0 or higher.
honus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:36 PM   #6
runuo psz
Chieftain

Actually, the Droid phones aren't that much harder to code for than the i<Whatever>, especially if the devs have C++ and Java experience, as well as Linux experience

They all run on the same OS, the screens all more or less handle the same resolutions (regardless of size), and the main hardware isn't that much different from unit to unit.

Hence why there are very few "works on phone A but not phone B" issues (other than OS version. IE: 1.5 vs 2.0)

CivRev for Android would most likely be no more difficult to make than the iPod/iPhone version.

Side-note: The Facebook version of Civilization that Sid and Co. are working should be able to work with any of the Droid phones without any problems.
runuo psz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 06:29 PM   #7
CivGeneral
Succubi General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padma View Post
One reason I would love CivRev for the Droid is because it runs Linux as the OS -- the first step in getting Linux-Native Civ!
But would it be a challenge because Android OS does not contain all of the libraries found in a regular Linux Distro.

FYI, just gotten a new phone with Android OS in it.
"Night was created for adults. You should go home kid!" - Morrigan Aensland | "Ultimately, I really make these comics to please myself. The rest of you are just along for the ride. If you try to please other people, then you'll never be happy with what you've done." - David Morgan Mar
CivGeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:00 AM   #8
Padma
the InBond

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivGeneral View Post
But would it be a challenge because Android OS does not contain all of the libraries found in a regular Linux Distro.

FYI, just gotten a new phone with Android OS in it.
Yes, of course, but libraries can be added when installing an app, I presume.

1st Lieutenant, USAF (Retired)
Registered Linux User #233241
My View Ramblings of a Professional Computer Geek-- My Blogs.
Padma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2010, 02:10 AM   #9
alfredara
Chieftain

Whats the difference between a Samsung Androiod powered phone and a HTC Android powered phone? Like ie: HTC Hero from Sprint with Android and the Samsung Moment from Sprint with Android. I thought that all Android powered phones were HTC so whats the deal?

Last edited by Turner; Oct 29, 2010 at 06:54 AM.
alfredara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:09 AM   #10
CustodianV131
Prince

I think the userbase and sales on Android are not big enough to make a version for that platform likely yet. Make the new Nexus will help with that.
CustodianV131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 02:58 PM   #11
EdCase
Defender of the Faithless

Sorry Custodian1V31, I disagree. Unit sales of either are only really relevant for the OSes.

Demographic of user base is significantly more important for a specific application.

Individual one is a player of PC games, question is do they buy an Apple PC (Oh yes they are ) ?

Answer: Nope, not in general, as they tend to give less power for the buck.

Did the same person buy an Ipod/Iphone..of course they did, gamers love gadgets.

Will/did many get frustrated at Apples "control issues" ?....you bet your behind.

I'm one of them..had an Iphone from the get-go. Not anymore, Android does everything worthwhile that the Iphone could AND more. I went with the HTC Hero and pleased I did.

I think OS4.0 from Apple needs to hit soon and hard or they will (as analysts predict) be playing second fiddle in 2012.

In finishing, I suspect the installed userbase as it stands contains more likely purchasers than the iphone. Android is a geeks (mobile) wetdream after all

One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.

Excerpt from the notebooks of Lazarus Long, from Robert Heinlein's "Time Enough for Love"
EdCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 08:17 AM   #12
Quaser
Chieftain

My HTC Desire is on the way. Was hoping Revolution was already available.

This is my vote for an Android version.
Quaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 07:06 PM   #13
ladedadedum
Chieftain

bump for great justice (yeah even tho it's already on the first page)! civ 1 on snesoid just isn't cutting it.
ladedadedum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 01:33 PM   #14
thelibra
Future World Dictator

Seconding! Wait... how did you get civ1 for your Android? When I type in "Civilization" or "Civ" the closest thing I see in the market is that P-O-S "The Settlers" game, which, incidentally, blows.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 08:46 AM   #15
mattigus
Warlord

He's using a Super Nintendo emulator on the Android. He downloaded a copy of Civilization for Super Nintendo, and is playing that.

Just to let you all know, this is illegal unless you own a physical copy of the SNES version of Civilization.
mattigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2010, 04:01 PM   #16
ladedadedum
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattigus View Post
He's using a Super Nintendo emulator on the Android. He downloaded a copy of Civilization for Super Nintendo, and is playing that.

Just to let you all know, this is illegal unless you own a physical copy of the SNES version of Civilization.
correct. in other news, yongzh is collaborating with zodttd to port a playstation emulator, so at least civ2 is around the corner.

Last edited by ladedadedum; Jun 16, 2010 at 04:02 PM. Reason: for justice!
ladedadedum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 03, 2010, 05:59 PM   #17
Preytor
Warlord

Looking at getting a HTC Legend and will need some Civ action for it!
Maybe we can find a way to put some pressure/encouragement for Fraxis (or someone) to bring Civ Rev from iPhone to Android.
Civ ROM for SNES sounds fun, but we need moar! Glad to hear about the possibility of Civ 2..
Old Jul 13, 2010, 08:18 PM   #18
Tesuji
Warlord

I think Sid mentioned during a presentation they're working on a Facebook version.

Since that's probably Flash based, they might just as well put it on the iDroid too. Provided Adobe finally gets Flash working on Droid of course.
Tesuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:55 PM   #19
strhopper
Okie

Flash is working! Running a custom rom(2.2) on my moto droid with flash FYI
Old Jul 28, 2010, 07:45 AM   #20
Shurdus
Am I Napoleon?

strhopper, can you tell me what you did to get that custom rom working? I have a Samsing Galaxy Si9000 which comes with stock android 2.1, so flash does not work on that phone... Can I download a custom rom to get 2.2 to work on that phone too? What skills do I need to have to get 2.2 to work, and what risks do I take, if any?