How to spot hogs in multiplayer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ermak-

Prince
Its very simple, - people with with numbers in their names are allways hogs. If one doesn't have enough imagination to come up with a creative name- there is no chance they will be any good at a game which demands strategy. And as hogs they should be booted. Otherwise, they quit, get defeated by warrior rushers, or whine that they "got spawned on an island", or have no "coppa" near their "village".

I wonder what it means for people with punctuation marks in their names in multiplayer games?

After this article, I'm considering changing my name to LoneWolf123453425475480294785.

Its amazing how often people complaining about the lack of imagination turn out to be the ones with the most narrow mind.

I'm not sure if any of you folks have had the pleasure of playing with Ermak online.

It's a real TREAT!

He's abrasive, this thread is nothing on him in his full glory.

He's rude and demeaning.

He'll claim he's won the game by turn 10, and every 10 turns after that.

He'll quit every time anyone challenges him on any of his borders.

He'll claim he's won, right after his macemen see infantry coming, and then quit.

And the best part.

He's not all that skilled.

It's fine if you want to run your mouth, hog, but learn to play the game first, please.

Well his reputation seems to precede him in MP, but I'll point out that there is a nugget of wisdom in there that extends WELL beyond civ multiplayer.

Not all players with numbers in their names suck. Not all of any one naming style sucks. However, there are trends. People who use numbers that do not hold significance (IE slayerkill45 or noobshot1348) or crap like XXXshadowmikexxx tend to be pretty terrible. This trend does NOT include people who use numbers of actual game or reference significance in their names. Someone who intentionally has a number that shows the half life of a radioactive element (especially in certain games) or uses that number because it's their sports jersey number (some very good athletes play some online games), or other similar examples shouldn't be grouped with "alex0984".

Another fairly common class of terrible players are those who feel the need to associate their race/gender/anything about them that is not relevant to their game ability in their names, as if belonging to said group makes them better without skill of their own. You'll notice, for example, that your typical pro in say warcraft, civ, or any other game seems to lack names like "azn_sunshine5", "USA_danny", "Euro-pete" or some such nonsense. Again, not a 100% suckage rate, but you don't feel good when names like that come up in arranged team games like gears of war or DOTA in wc3.

As for names of GOOD players, I have less of a known pattern for that. The only thing I've noticed is that people who put a lot of effort or otherwise managed to use a name that is funny seem to be better than average, but not elite in my experience. Since I'm only elite in one, maybe two games (neither of which are civ, definitely madden is one), they beat me sometimes.

hey JoeHollyHog, I do get defeated every once in a while due to randomness events/ spawn location , ect. but most 10 player FFA i own. And I own you more then usual. I also don't see the neeed to spen 30 mins dislodging every city of a last hog who is hiding on other side of a planet if i am 200% ahead in points and I need to get my 4 hrs of sleep before work.

oh I have a good trend identifier to!

Those who use too many shortcuts in typing, or those who leetspeak.

I am old enough to have played an old-school mud so I just look down on the shortcuts/leetspeak. Oh well, not everyone was raised on games where typing speed meant life or death and a typo in a conversation was a great faux pas, But they should have been!

r u there? I own u! u r Bad rofl

I think this post needs to get closed though, since above me it seems to be turning into an Ermak chest-puffing station.

Ok, I will give you that I am a newer player, and I haven't even attempted MP yet, but it seems to me that Civ IV isn't a game that lends itself to trash talking. I don't know, but this game seems a lot deeper than like Gears of War or WoW, where it runs rampant. There's too many variables going on at the same time to decisively say that YOU were the one that brought the empire down. You might have played a big part, but maybe the player didn't have a good economy or something that just made it easier. Maybe I'm way off base, but who am I to talk?

Well his reputation seems to precede him in MP, but I'll point out that there is a nugget of wisdom in there that extends WELL beyond civ multiplayer.

Not all players with numbers in their names suck. Not all of any one naming style sucks. However, there are trends. People who use numbers that do not hold significance (IE slayerkill45 or noobshot1348) or crap like XXXshadowmikexxx tend to be pretty terrible. This trend does NOT include people who use numbers of actual game or reference significance in their names. Someone who intentionally has a number that shows the half life of a radioactive element (especially in certain games) or uses that number because it's their sports jersey number (some very good athletes play some online games), or other similar examples shouldn't be grouped with "alex0984".

Another fairly common class of terrible players are those who feel the need to associate their race/gender/anything about them that is not relevant to their game ability in their names, as if belonging to said group makes them better without skill of their own. You'll notice, for example, that your typical pro in say warcraft, civ, or any other game seems to lack names like "azn_sunshine5", "USA_danny", "Euro-pete" or some such nonsense. Again, not a 100% suckage rate, but you don't feel good when names like that come up in arranged team games like gears of war or DOTA in wc3.

As for names of GOOD players, I have less of a known pattern for that. The only thing I've noticed is that people who put a lot of effort or otherwise managed to use a name that is funny seem to be better than average, but not elite in my experience. Since I'm only elite in one, maybe two games (neither of which are civ, definitely madden is one), they beat me sometimes.
Do you get out much? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom