Is BAT still incompatible with BUFFY?

lymond

Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!)
Hall of Fame Staff
My understanding is that these mods are incompatible. I'm fine playing BUFFY games without BAT, but would like to use BAT for non-GOTM/HOF games. So my question is that if BAT is installed will this conflict with running BUFFY separately? I don't want to impact those games are cause them to be invalid.

Edit: I guess another way to phrase my question is can BAT be installed as a separate mod like we can do for BUG using the multiplayer option. In another words can I run it stand alone or is it always present regardless of what other mod I run?

thanks

BAT can only be installed as a separate mod, so it's fine with BUFFY. BUG installed to the CustomAssets folder is the only one that has trouble, partly with BUFFY v1 and partly when running other mods. Both of these issues will be fixed in the next BUFFY and BUG releases. :)

For now, install BAT and BUFFY normally, and you can enjoy both. :goodjob:

Thanks. So BAT and BUFFY have to run separately? Does BAT overwrite Blue Marble since Blue Marble seems to be constant in all mods - assuming it's custom assets.

If you have BlueMarble installed in CustomAssets (normal), BAT's BM files will take precedence. Since they are the same files, it should not be noticeable.

BAT and BUFFY have to be used separately because they are two separate mods installed into their own mod folders. This is true of all non-CustomAssets-based mods. BUFFY has BUG + BULL like BAT, but can be used to submit HOF/XOTM games while BAT has extra graphics stuff not in BUFFY.

So I'd say use BAT when you play normal games, and use BUFFY when you want to submit a HOF/XOTM game.

Thanks again and sorry for more questions. I play a lot of the series posted on the strategy forum. Some series provide WB saves so you can play with any mod. Up to this point I usually just use BUFFY. However, some series just provide regular saves that either run unmodded or you have to have BUG intalled as single player (custom assets). I usually just avoided those games because I want to play with a mod yet I do want to play some of the series. Given that BAT appears to be a non-issue regardless (except that I won't be able to play it with the later mentioned games), I'm trying to set things up so that I can have BUG 4.2 in single player mode but switch to a condition in which BUFFY works fine. Are there any options here? My thinking here is to try this:

1) Unstall all BUG mods ( I keep a couple of versions installed stand alone for compatibility with certain game, e.g., 4.1 and 4.2)

2) Delete Custom Assets

3) Install Blue Marble and create copy of custom assets folder ( so BM will still be there)

4) Install 4.2 in single player mode and create copy of that folder

5) Switch between custom assets copies when I need to run 4.2 in custom assets

Does this sound feasible? Anything else I need to do here

thanks for your time

Yes, you can have multiple CA folders and just rename them to get what you want. Ruff_Hi even made a handy program to switch them around for you easily. PM him and he can send you the link.

Excellent! thanks....sounds like I'll finally be able to play some of these games and also mess around with BAT too.

Hey EF - one more really stupid question. It appears installing BAT does not give the option of providing a shortcut or executable to run the game directly. I have set this up for like BUFFY by changing the command line but BAT installs in the Custom Mods folder which is new to me. Any advice on how to get a shortcut up and running for BAT. thanks

BAT installs for a mod folder just like BUFFY. It should be named "BAT Mod 2.1" in your Program Files / Civ4 / BTS / Mods folder. You should be able to create a shortcut for it just like you did with BUFFY.

I thought there was an option to create a desktop shortcut, though. I'll check it when I get home.

Actually, for me it install in the the Civ4CustomMods folder. I used BAT 2.1 and the standard install. I'm not sure if this is a problem or not. It does show up when I try to load the mod.

BAT ALWAYS installs in My Docs/My Games/BTS/Mods. No exceptions with any of the install options. It doesn't install a desktop icon at all though, but there is an option to have BAT start automatically during install.

My BTS doesn't have a Civ4CustomMods folder. :confused:

Hey EF -

This is what it looks like for me (on Vista). In the main BTS folder (under C:\Program Files), I have a Mods folder. This is where most mods install for me and also the delivered scenarios are store there. Also, there are a bunch of "shortcuts" in the folder, like to Civ4CustomAssets. This shortcuts take you to the folders the User\Documents\MyGames blah blah. (You know all that). Anyway, one of the shortcuts is Civ4CustomMods which takes me to "C:\Users\Evan\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\MODS". So the folder is actually "MODS" but it's store in a different location from all the other mods. BAT 2.1 is the only thing showing up in there. It seems to work okay, but I don't know why it install there.

Oh right, I forgot about all those shortcuts. Thanks. Yes, as Alerum said, BAT installs to the Mods folder inside your My Games / BTS folder. BUG used to do that as well, but a few people said they had to move it to the BTS / Mods folder to use it in multiplayer games, so I changed the installer.

Cool. So back to my earlier question, any thoughts on how to create something that will run BAT directly?

thanks

Yes, copy your Beyond the Sword short and add

/mod="BAT Mod 2.1"​

at the end. The target for the shortcut will look like this:

"C:\Games\Civ4\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" /mod="BAT Mod 2.1"​

EF, no quotations on the mod. Also your mod slash is backwards, and in the wrong spot.

"C:\Games\Civ4\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" mod=\BAT Mod 2.1

That is the shortcut I use to launch BAT, so I can say with 100% certainty that it works. ;)

First, quotes are normally necessary to tell the command shell that launches the program to treat the whole parameter as a single string. Otherwise the game gets three parameters:

1. /mod=BAT
  2. Mod
  3. 2.1
It's possible that BTS figures this out, but the quotes work fine and are explicit.

Second, the forward slash (/) is standard option notation for Windows and DOS programs. If it works for you without it, it means that BTS accepts either one. You can see that Firaxis's Command-Line Options documentation uses both ways for different options.

Third, the mod name is not an absolute path, so it should not begin with a directory slash (\). It also doesn't need the "Mods" folder name before it. I suspect all of these work, however, so it's really personal preference.

thanks EF...that worked fine. It is different from the other convention I've seen

Top Bottom