Bonus distribution tweaks (mainly ivory!)

tejon, if there is any way you want to group resources (like as twjr pointed out, with other resources) that doesn't currently exist, you can always request new XML tags over in my forum. ;)

I do think that you should put sugar back onto grass hills. You should see some of the slopes that I have seen cane grown on in China.
The question is, would it grow there naturally? With irrigation you can put it just about anywhere warm and sunny, but considering that it's a tall green reed, it seems like sugar cane would only naturally occur in places with very high ground saturation. I wrestled with a similar question regarding rice; hills imply valleys and rice doesn't mind standing water, and with this shaky justification I put it on hills, but I only considered doing that at all because I wanted a tropical counterpart to the potato. Sugarcane didn't have a pressing balance reason to bend biology, and there's no option for ONLY riversides or I would have done that! However, I'm getting most of my horticultural information on these topics by inference from what I can find on Wikipedia, so if you've got firsthand knowledge to the contrary, please share. :)

Is it possible in the game for different resources to be made to have a higher chance of occurrence if another resource is present?
Just by editing the XML resource definitions, no, that's not supported. With custom scripts I'm sure it could be done, but that's a different project.

Sure in ancient times access to salt deposits was crucial but these days I am sure most salt is obtained from the ocean. Maybe a national wonder could be done similar to aluminium and rubber?
Again, a different project; but I totally agree.

The question is, would it grow there naturally? With irrigation you can put it just about anywhere warm and sunny, but considering that it's a tall green reed, it seems like sugar cane would only naturally occur in places with very high ground saturation. I wrestled with a similar question regarding rice; hills imply valleys and rice doesn't mind standing water, and with this shaky justification I put it on hills, but I only considered doing that at all because I wanted a tropical counterpart to the potato. Sugarcane didn't have a pressing balance reason to bend biology, and there's no option for ONLY riversides or I would have done that! However, I'm getting most of my horticultural information on these topics by inference from what I can find on Wikipedia, so if you've got firsthand knowledge to the contrary, please share. :)

Just by editing the XML resource definitions, no, that's not supported. With custom scripts I'm sure it could be done, but that's a different project.

Again, a different project; but I totally agree.

Look beyond the obvious, sugar beets can be grown on hills and in just about any climate

Look beyond the obvious, sugar beets can be grown on hills and in just about any climate
An early revision of this put sugar nearly everywhere for exactly that reason. Then it was pointed out that the technology to extract sucrose from beets didn't arise until the 19th century.

Tejon, I agree and think sugar should still remain tropical as until recently it needed the water and warmth only found closer to the equator.

Like I suggested with salt though in recent times it has been spread to a much wider area and could be dealt with a national wonder (I know beyond the scope).

However, the cane I saw in China was being grown in one of the poorest regions of China where there was no irrigation infrastructure to speak of. Yes there was slope modification (but isn't that just one of the many aspects of agriculture anyway) and I have no doubt that is humans stopped maintaining the crops it would still be there in 100 years. So no it is not naturally supposed to occur there but it will definitely grow on those slopes with only a minimum of human input.

Also where should suggest about the desalination idea?

Tejon,
thank you very much for your explanation. I must admit, that even though I studied and followed all the information carefully, resources placement has still a little mystery behind the scene :) No matter that you change some values, game is still random to some point (which is not a bad thing). For example, I put the same numbers for stone and marble, and I have plenty of marble, with almost no stone around :) Besides, I didn't get ANY salt so far, and my scouts have wandered almost all the planet already.

yeah I got some difficultys too.
If I use "your" seting, no or allmost no stone, and horses.

I manage to get stone with some tweak without loosing anything else, but horses are a mistery !!!
It's look like you got or horses or ivory.
So I dicide to divide the world in 2: over equator horses, under ivory !
BUT NO it doesn't works, it's look like the min/max LAtitude thing doesn't change anything.

From my tests it looks like map size is the limiting factor - there's just not enough available plots to place lot of all resources and since luxury resources are placed last, they have the least available plots during map generation. This just verifies the fact that I shouldn't add anymore resources to the mod (at least not resources that appear in nature).

I think ressources that are cultivated should be possible to "add" when a dedicated tech is found. Corn, wheat, grape, ect...
for eemple the worker make a farm of corn or wheat ect
The same for cow, pig, horses it should be possible to get those livestock from a Worker (build a pasture for ...)
Lucky for those that got those ressources at game start, but let it be for everyone that found trade, and maybe after that the earth is proved round . . .

Only mineral, shemical metall . . . and Wild ressources, can't be "cultivated". but even fish product should have the possibility to be "add" by a work boat or a building.

yeah I got some difficultys too.
If I use "your" seting, no or allmost no stone, and horses.

I manage to get stone with some tweak without loosing anything else, but horses are a mistery !!!
It's look like you got or horses or ivory.
So I dicide to divide the world in 2: over equator horses, under ivory !
BUT NO it doesn't works, it's look like the min/max LAtitude thing doesn't change anything.

Exactly, I can't find any horses either..... How did you fix stone issue?

Exactly, I can't find any horses either..... How did you fix stone issue?

Look at this
it is ok with ivory, horse, stone and I guess everything if you take a huge map (the size with 11 civ has standard).
I used planettgen 0,68 with 12 civ insted of 11 has standar, barbarian world and civ.

I changed :
Fish food, horses, ivory, oil, uranium, sulphure, bauxite.

Attachments

• CIV4BonusInfos.rar
    4.7 KB · Views: 90
Min/Max latitude works fine, but doesn't differentiate northern and southern hemispheres, only distance from the equator.

Just tested with Planet Generator, indeed, there was only one horse. Does this map use custom resource distribution? Any map which overrides the default method there, may ignore any or all of the settings in Civ4BonusInfos.xml. I can't guarantee good operation with custom scripts without breaking it in everything else (which was the problem with the version before current).

Min/Max latitude works fine, but doesn't differentiate northern and southern hemispheres, only distance from the equator.

if I use 0/40 for horses and 40/80 for ivory. I got only ivory (or Horses), not half/half.
Using planet gen 0,68

Ha! The moment I turn my head, 2.9 comes out.

From just looking at the patch notes, this should be compatible with 2.9 EXCEPT that the change to Fertilizers (3 health -> 2 health) will be overwritten. This is an easy edit and I don't want to push too many versions so for the moment I'm going to leave that up to the end-user. My placement rules are significantly different from Zappara's already, so undoing the 2.9 changes there really isn't an incompatibility, just a different design direction. Though I may yet steal a few of his. :)

Zappara, if you're still reading this thread, can I ask why you added the SEAFOOD bonus class? I actually got better results after removing the LUXURY class entirely, as it seemed to be creating an additional ceiling on placed resources within that class, whereas leaving them all in GENERAL did not have that effect. As far as I can tell, these classes only set default iUnique values, all of which (for luxuries, at least) are overridden anyway. Do they serve some other purpose?

Zappara, if you're still reading this thread, can I ask why you added the SEAFOOD bonus class? I actually got better results after removing the LUXURY class entirely, as it seemed to be creating an additional ceiling on placed resources within that class, whereas leaving them all in GENERAL did not have that effect. As far as I can tell, these classes only set default iUnique values, all of which (for luxuries, at least) are overridden anyway. Do they serve some other purpose?
SEAFOOD class was added so that water resources do not prevent land resources from appearing on plots near the coast (was it iUnique that decided the plot range between resources or some other modifier...). SEAFOOD resources are also placed last on the map. If there's still excessive amounts of health/happiness in RoM 2.9 I'll probably tweak resources to a direction where some luxury resources might not appear in every game - ie. limit the amount of resources (that way each games is more different as well) and so that getting all resources becomes much more difficult.

Here is an updated version which incorporates ROM 2.91 changes.

Attachments

• CIV4BonusInfos.zip
    5.8 KB · Views: 96
Top Bottom