Rhye's and Fall of Asia - RFCA

I have an atlas that features city names in their own language. I could do settler maps if someone taught me how... they are simple, right?

Nice mod! :goodjob:

I just played a game with the Harrapan up to 650 AD. Here are some points I noted. (Excuse the fact that they're bearing a negative impression. The mod is really enjoyable! but there is a lot to improve :D.)

- I hate to say this, but the map seems a bit too big. This means more space to expand, thus less conflicts and less intereting game dynamics. Perhaps it's better in the late game, with more civs; I can't say. However I understand you won't change the map.

- The Harrapan City planning UHV is broken, and the wonders one says not yet even though I failed it. The third UHV works fine. But I suppose UHVs are not your top priority now.

- The early tech rate is too slow, at least for the Harrapans.

- There are really not enough buildings in the early game, if not in the whole game. And since culture/research/currency come so late, you can't help but build lots of units that just drain the economy.

- Harrapa + Great Granary + Great Bath = insane! +10 food is just too much. The city will reach 25+ citizens very quickly, with lots of angry ones. And you can't really use the whip, because there's so little to build...

- The unhealthiness from population seems buggy.

- The alchemy tech is almost useless once Taoism has been founded.

- Flood plains + Grassland (mouth of the Indus) give a looooot of food.

- Archers shouldn't be buildable once you can train Bowmen.

- Somewhere, something gives +1239544 (virtually an infinity of) trade routes , and I think that actually works...

- Since there are only 5 religions, I think you should be adding Shintoism. A different religion does not necessarily mean complete isolation... You could make it so that the Japanese have still a significant chance of favouring Buddhism by giving them some missionaries, for example. Especially if they start in the 7th century.

- Speaking of which, why do they start in 650? The legendary foundation of the Yamato Empire dates to the 7th century BC... I'd have them start there, especially as there aren't a lot of early civs.

- There are some weird spots on the map, such as strange river segments along the Indus river.

Other than that, great job! I look forward the next versions.

Nice mod! :goodjob:

I just played a game with the Harrapan up to 650 AD. Here are some points I noted. (Excuse the fact that they're bearing a negative impression. The mod is really enjoyable! but there is a lot to improve :D.)

- I hate to say this, but the map seems a bit too big. This means more space to expand, thus less conflicts and less intereting game dynamics. Perhaps it's better in the late game, with more civs; I can't say. However I understand you won't change the map.
Yeah, I noticed this too but much too late. I plan to qadd two or three more civs, maybe this will help. (I have been thinking of Gokturks and Nanzhao/Dali, maybe even Siam) See it from the bright side: Not too much ahistorical happenings like an Indian Uberempire ;).

- The Harrapan City planning UHV is broken, and the wonders one says not yet even though I failed it. The third UHV works fine. But I suppose UHVs are not your top priority now.
Fisrt one is already fixed and the second worked fine for me...

- The early tech rate is too slow, at least for the Harrapans.
What? They even have a small discount for the first era techs! I want to reduce tech costs in general, anyways. For those, who have ideas: Some techs can be added especially in the late game.

- There are really not enough buildings in the early game, if not in the whole game. And since culture/research/currency come so late, you can't help but build lots of units that just drain the economy.
Here again, some ideas would be nice as I don't have any now. (Post Station, Mill, Baths are planned) Yet they need to do soemthing. Too many happiness and health buildings aren't good.

- Harrapa + Great Granary + Great Bath = insane! +10 food is just too much. The city will reach 25+ citizens very quickly, with lots of angry ones. And you can't really use the whip, because there's so little to build...
I'll reduce th effects a little bit.

- The unhealthiness from population seems buggy.
Do you mean as Harappa? They have a unique power concerning their city health.

- The alchemy tech is almost useless once Taoism has been founded.
I plan to add an Taoist Alchemist buiding... Most techs lack something, so they will be filled up eventually.

- Flood plains + Grassland (mouth of the Indus) give a looooot of food.
Shall I remove it? I think that it fits the Indus river.

- Archers shouldn't be buildable once you can train Bowmen.
They also upgrade to Crossbows, maybe you hadn't techs/resources for them?

- Somewhere, something gives +1239544 (virtually an infinity of) trade routes , and I think that actually works...
I'll look after it.

- Since there are only 5 religions, I think you should be adding Shintoism. A different religion does not necessarily mean complete isolation... You could make it so that the Japanese have still a significant chance of favouring Buddhism by giving them some missionaries, for example. Especially if they start in the 7th century.
Okeydokey :D. Japan starts earlier, will take care of it when I add some civs. I placed them there because of the proclamation as an empire equal to China. I still don't like adding Shintoism as a religon. They don't have temples or so (only shrines or even nature itself as a temple) Maybe as 'corporations'... Did you try to trade with Tokugawa when he had another religion? Almost impossible. Finally, there are many other 'national' religions which could be added: Tengrinism, Lamaism, Sikhism, etc...

- There are some weird spots on the map, such as strange river segments along the Indus river.
I'll check it out.

Other than that, great job! I look forward the next versions.
Thanks! I'll try my best. :)

@corovanrobber and fdgsgds (?sp)
Yeah, city names are... ummm... easy to do... :rolleyes:
In fact, they are really time consuming, I'll ask the RFCE team how they made it...
Anyway, you need to edit CityNamesMap.py. For every tile coordinate there is a -1. There you need to insert the city names...

Fisrt one is already fixed and the second worked fine for me...

I don't know about winning, but after all three wonders were built somewhere in the world it kept saying "Not yet" instead of "No".

What? They even have a small discount for the first era techs! I want to reduce tech costs in general, anyways. For those, who have ideas: Some techs can be added especially in the late game.

Well, there is a lot of early technologies, and as it was taking forever to get them, I felt that the tech rate was low. Also, when others spawned, they were much more advanced, and I couldn't even bulb Priesthood completely. But this is only a first impression.

Do you mean as Harappa? They have a unique power concerning their city health.

Oh, that explains it.

Shall I remove it? I think that it fits the Indus river.

If the mouth of the Indus river is very fertile, ok, sure.

Okeydokey :D. Japan starts earlier, will take care of it when I add some civs. I placed them there because of the proclamation as an empire equal to China. I still don't like adding Shintoism as a religon. They don't have temples or so (only shrines or even nature itself as a temple) Maybe as 'corporations'... Did you try to trade with Tokugawa when he had another religion? Almost impossible. Finally, there are many other 'national' religions which could be added: Tengrinism, Lamaism, Sikhism, etc...

Reasons to include Shintoism:
- there's room for it
- it's relatively well-known
- it would make Japan a more unique civ
- many people probably want it
- of the examples you mentioned, Sikhism is too late (I believe the mod ends in 1600?), Lamaism is, well, Buddhism, and Tengriism is arguably the same as Shinto, though much less known (it could be a seventh religion, I guess...)

Reasons not to include it:
- it may not be considered a real religion
- many Japanese practice both Buddhism and Shintoism
- it would isolate Japan (try to change Tokugawa's personality?)
- you don't feel right about it :)

If you find another good way to include it, very well. Otherwise, there are enough arguments to leave it out of the game, so that's fine too.

Yeah, city names are... ummm... easy to do... :rolleyes:
In fact, they are really time consuming, I'll ask the RFCE team how they made it...
Anyway, you need to edit CityNamesMap.py. For every tile coordinate there is a -1. There you need to insert the city names...

I have worked on the city names maps for RFC:GW, they're not hard to make. You'll need an Excel file with each square corresponding to a tile. Color the water in blue and the mountains in, say, grey. In every square put "-1", and, when you can, replace the -1 with the name of the city. Do so for each civ, and later convert that in python to put in CityNamesMap.py. I suppose it's the most convenient way. I don't know much more details though.

I don't know about winning, but after all three wonders were built somewhere in the world it kept saying "Not yet" instead of "No".
Ahh, you meant that! Fixed it thanks.

Reasons to include horsehockyoism:
- there's room for it
- it's relatively well-known
- it would make Japan a more unique civ
- many people probably want it
- of the examples you mentioned, Sikhism is too late (I believe the mod ends in 1600?), Lamaism is, well, Buddhism, and Tengriism is arguably the same as Shinto, though much less known (it could be a seventh religion, I guess...)

Reasons not to include it:
- it may not be considered a real religion
- many Japanese practice both Buddhism and horsehockyoism
- it would isolate Japan (try to change Tokugawa's personality?)
- you don't feel right about it :)

If you find another good way to include it, very well. Otherwise, there are enough arguments to leave it out of the game, so that's fine too.
Now, I will never include horsehockyoism, but Shintoism maybe :p.(funny, the site turns the first four letters into smileys if you set them apart :)) It isn't that I don't feel right about, while it makes sense historically, it could make gameplay a bit difficult. I want to include it, but I just don't know how to do that for now.
Tengrinism the same as Shinto? I don't thnik they have that much in common. (Polytheism with a strong 'father' god <-> a rather henotheistic religion, for example)

I have worked on the city names maps for RFC:GW, they're not hard to make. You'll need an Excel file with each square corresponding to a tile. Color the water in blue and the mountains in, say, grey. In every square put "-1", and, when you can, replace the -1 with the name of the city. Do so for each civ, and later convert that in python to put in CityNamesMap.py. I suppose it's the most convenient way. I don't know much more details though.
I'll see what I can do.

Shintoism. Oops.

I'm really not an expert, but I was under the impression that both Shintoism and Tengriism (not Tengrinism, it would seem) were both somewhat tribal religions centered around a particular people rather than real religions more or less independant from culture. But I can't really argue.

And now I'm not going to say anything anymore about Shintoism. :p

For those who are interested in making some city name maps:

I have created a excel file, which represents the map. Every square has the value "-1",. I added colours for water and peaks, where it is impossible to found cities as well as a help to find the right spots. Here is how it works:

1. Find the tile you have a city name for.
2. Replace the "-1", with "Beijing",, for example.
3. If you are done, post those files and I will include them.

IMPORTANT NOTES:
- The comma and the "" are important! Don't remove them!
- Change nothing outside the map coordinates!
- Special letters as ö, ü, ä â á, etc. can't be written in this form. You need to insert a certain combination of letters to make those signs appear. (look here) Don't be afraid the site is German ;). The second chart shows the special combinations: letters are black and their neede codes are grey.
- The same city name shouldn't appear more than in a 3x3 box!
- Don't save in Excel2007 version! I can't open the file otherwise!

Now, I assume that there will be one Excel sheet for each civilization? Of course city name maps overlap (especially in RFC and RFCE). Also, since Chinese civilizations are just represented by their important dynasties, all of their maps will be the same.

Also, since Chinese civilizations are just represented by their important dynasties, all of their maps will be the same.
Uh, no, Zhou and Qin have different cities and names for same cities (xi'an is &#37804;&#20140; under zhou but &#21688;&#38525; under qin, under tang it will be &#38263;&#23433;), and further dynasties most likely too (haven't quite looked yet)

Played around on the mod for a bit as harappans then the tamil civ, cant remember their name, but just cant get over the aztec and native american leaderheads and city names, I understand they wont be in the final version but it really bugged me and I had to stop. Other than that I really enjoyed the mod and im sure once its all done itll be a blast.

Uh, no, Zhou and Qin have different cities and names for same cities (xi'an is &#37804;&#20140; under zhou but &#21688;&#38525; under qin, under tang it will be &#38263;&#23433;), and further dynasties most likely too (haven't quite looked yet)

Yup, he's right and that's also why I didn't start on those city name maps as they are quite time consuming, as you need to do a lot of research. BTW, if you post city name maps, could you also write which city gets renamed to what on conquest? It sounds as though you were working on Chinese maps ;).

Like this (fictional names follow!): Zhou/Linyu -> Qin/Linzhou -> Tang/Lin'an
This isn't very important, it would add flavour, but only if you feel like it.

Played around on the mod for a bit as harappans then the tamil civ, cant remember their name, but just cant get over the aztec and native american leaderheads and city names, I understand they wont be in the final version but it really bugged me and I had to stop. Other than that I really enjoyed the mod and im sure once its all done itll be a blast.
I know that it should also be visually appealing, so I'll try to add art and music now and then...
Thanks, anyway!

Yup, he's right and that's also why I didn't start on those city name maps as they are quite time consuming, as you need to do a lot of research. BTW, if you post city name maps, could you also write which city gets renamed to what on conquest? It sounds as though you were working on Chinese maps ;).
I tried to start but that appeared to be tough due to maps inconsistencies, e.g. rivers placement (some aren't even present on your map).
Here's a Japanese map for Eastern Zhou, if somebody wants he can continue

Again, I have to ask you: which parts of the map are inconsistent? Which rivers do you think should be added?
It really depends on the degree, how detailed your map is. If you zoom in, you'll see more rivers, that's reasonable, but I can't add every river which exists in China, for example. That would break game balance.
Nevertheless, thanks for trying.
BTW, you know that I am not capable of reading Japanese, nor Chinese, right ;)?

I was sure you knew chinese!
uh, basically rivers should be like on that map, can't say more
look up for other maps, they have same river placement

Very old Chinese cities were one character long, starting from Qin dynasty names became two characters.
Old names today survive as short names, e.g. short name for shaanxi province is qin &#31206; (westernmost city on that zhou map)

You seem to know a lot about China's geography and quite a bit of their language. Can you transliterate? And will you be making city name maps? ;)

I was sure you knew chinese!
uh, basically rivers should be like on that map, can't say more
look up for other maps, they have same river placement

Sorry to disappoint you, but my east asian language capabilities aren't that good ;). Although I would like to learn at least one language...
I wil correct the rivers soon, but for now I want to concentrate on the plans I have for the next version. Had some ideas and I want to know if they work.

As I already have implied, next version is out! Just look at the first post and download version 0.2! For deatiled changes look at the changelog in the second post. The next version will take a little longer, as I plan on adding a game mechanic around the Silk road, adding minor religions and adding two additional civs. I won't go into detail here, because I don't know if it will work.

I will add the Gokturks and Nanzhao/Dali as civs. If you have any complaints (Southeast Asia too crowded) or ideas for other civs, let me know as they are the last on my priority list.

Otherwise, enjoy!

Top Bottom