The two most important decisions

DaveMcW

Deity
These two decisions will affect everything else, so they should be debated and decided soon.

Sequential 24 hour timer vs Simultaneous 48 hour timer

Sequential
+ Absolutely no chance of double moves

Simultaneous
+ Faster
+ Can add more teams without slowing the game down
+ There are reasonable rules against double move abuse that an admin can enforce

Tech trading ON vs OFF

ON
+ Easier for small teams to cooperate against the score leader
- A losing team can screw everyone by gifting all their techs to the score leader.
- The winning strategy is to let the diplomat run your team, not a very democratic process

I vote sequential and ON. I don't think having tech trading on will make the diplomat run the game.

No it doesn't sound like a bad idea for shorter turn times. Especially if we could get several turn players that could play every time of day.

I'm all for simultaneous turns and tech trading on, as I've probably mentioned in previous threads.

As I've seen far too often before, a dragging pace kills the interest of all but the most dedicated players faster than anything else. If we want to maintain the interest of the majority of the players, we need the game to move along at a reasonable pace, and simultaneous turns is the best way to achieve that. Rules against double moves can easily be put in place, and any abuses will be very obvious to both the teams involved and any admins looking into the matter.

As for tech trading, diplomacy is one of the major fun elements of the game, and I'd hate to remove most of that by turning off tech trading. Besides, it doesn't really balance the game, and in fact can imbalance it even worse than with tech trading on sometimes (because a runaway tech leader can't be caught up to).

How about turning off tech trading, but adding lots of resource monopolies and trade routes so teams can still set up an embargo that hurts.

And keep espionage on to enable cheap tech stealing.

Tech Trading: On
Seq vs. Sim: Seq, to allow for better diplomacy.

What about having Tech brokering on as a variant, rather than just plain old Tech trading. I have played in many MP games where they have simultaneous and there are rules that can be enforced to make sure that it does not happen.

We should make this a poll.

Wow r20, it seems you like polls... I wanna be on teams with you:D. I love polls...so
fun.:)

At any rate, we are addressing two differnt questions, so If there is a poll, There should probably be two polls... one poll for each question, however:

If we are polling both choices in one poll:(, the options could be:
1. Simultaneous turns and Tech Trading On
2. Sequential turns and Tech Trading On
3. Simultaneous turns and Tech Trading Off
4. Sequential turns and Tech Trading Off

Either way... If we poll this, and the winning option gets less than 51% of the vote, there should probably be a run-off.

Or how about multiple choice, seq or sim, on or off. I'll start one now!

Besides, it doesn't really balance the game, and in fact can imbalance it even worse than with tech trading on sometimes (because a runaway tech leader can't be caught up to).

You can always build a coalition diplomatically to tackle the forming tech leader... the game is different, not really imbalanced...

I would prefer SIMULTANEOUS and TRADE OFF therefore :)

@r20 and Sommer: I've seen your posts in the other thread about selecting turn-players... this is way too early! Anyone on a team can do that role (with a relevant helping team) and this will be decided by motivation inside each team and/or experience and/or RL duties and/or other stuffs... :)

@r20 and Sommer: I've seen your posts in the other thread about selecting turn-players... this is way too early! Anyone on a team can do that role (with a relevant helping team) and this will be decided by motivation inside each team and/or experience and/or RL duties and/or other stuffs... :)

That's Sommer's doing not mine. But I don't think it hurts to find out who is willing and plus once we get a front page announcement people will be floding in and we'll get some turn players then.

You can always build a coalition diplomatically to tackle the forming tech leader... the game is different, not really imbalanced...
You have no real hope of tackling them if they're always a step (or two) ahead in tech, though. I just have vivid memories of my first tech trading game in an 18-player pitboss, where I cruised to a ridiculously easy victory after building the Great Lighthouse and taking out my nearest neighbour, because no-one else could touch me tech-wise after that.

You have no real hope of tackling them if they're always a step (or two) ahead in tech, though. I just have vivid memories of my first tech trading game in an 18-player pitboss, where I cruised to a ridiculously easy victory after building the Great Lighthouse and taking out my nearest neighbour, because no-one else could touch me tech-wise after that.

Those are fixable map design problems.

Those are fixable map design problems.
I guess so. But still, you can't avoid the fact that the first team to cannibalize another team will gain a significant advantage. I guess all you can do is separate the teams as much as possible and hope for the best in the later game.

I guess so. But still, you can't avoid the fact that the first team to cannibalize another team will gain a significant advantage. I guess all you can do is separate the teams as much as possible and hope for the best in the later game.

A game can be balanced by a good admin: it's the teams aim to unbalance it enough so that they can win. A bigger worry is, can the teams be created in a balanced fashion: no point ever bothering to balance the map if another MS turns up.

Top Bottom