Civilization V Announced!

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
Here is the announcement many of you have been waiting for! :cool:

2K Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc, today announced that Sid Meier's Civilization V, the newest entry from the genre-defining strategy-based franchise, is currently in development at Firaxis Games for PC. Civilization V reinvigorates the classic turn-based strategy genre with an astonishing new engine built from the ground-up for this flagship edition of the Civilization franchise. Players are introduced to an entirely new combat system, deeper diplomatic interactions and a cavalcade of expanded features that deliver a fully immersive experience providing hours of entertainment as players build and defend their empire on their quest to become the greatest ruler the world has ever known.

Civilization V takes this definitive strategy game series in new directions with the introduction of hexagon tiles allowing for deeper strategy, more realistic gameplay and stunning organic landscapes for players to explore as they expand their empire. The brand new engine orchestrates a spectacular visual experience that brings players closer to the Civ experience than ever, featuring fully animated leaders interacting with players from a screen-filling diplomatic scene and speaking in their native language for the first time. Wars between empires feel massive as armies dominate the landscape, and combat is more exciting and intense than ever before. The addition of ranged bombardment allows players to fire weapons from behind the front lines, challenging players to develop clever new strategies to guarantee victory on the battlefield. In addition to the new gameplay features debuting in Civilization V, an extensive suite of community, modding and multiplayer elements will also make an appearance.

"Sid Meier's Civilization franchise has been recognized as one of the greatest PC game franchises of all time with millions of units sold worldwide," said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. "Civilization V takes the franchise further by offering players a more immersive experience with deeper strategies; heightened tactical combat; vast, realistic landscapes to explore, battle over and claim as their own; and an in-game community hub where Civ fans can share content and compete against each other without leaving the game. This marks a new era that will forever change the franchise responsible for sleep deprivation and reduced productivity for nearly two decades."

"Each new version of Civilization presents exciting challenges for our team," said Sid Meier, director of creative development at Firaxis Games. "Thankfully, ideas on how to bring new and fun experiences to Civ players never seem to stop flowing. From fully animated leaders and realistic landscapes, new combat tactics, expanded diplomacy and shared mods, we're excited for players to see the new vision our team at Firaxis has brought to the series."

In addition to Civilization V, Firaxis Games is also currently developing Sid Meier's Civilization Network, a Civ game for Facebook. With Sid Meier leading design, Civilization Network will offer yet another option for world domination to both the casual gamer and the biggest fans of the series. It's another way to access the famously addictive world of Civilization.

Nine new screenshots are available in our new Civ5 gallery!

For more information, check out the official Civ V website.

The brand new engine orchestrates a spectacular visual experience that brings players closer to the Civ experience than ever, featuring fully animated leaders interacting with players from a screen-filling diplomatic scene and speaking in their native language for the first time.

Well if it's anything like Civ4 then half the space on the disc will be these silly animated leaders. It also means modding in new leaders will be a pain. Not to mention all these resources could have been put to use making a better AI!

So with the hexagon tiles (6) versus the 3x3 block (9) doesn't that slightly limit the means of attack?

It's success or failure will be defined by how moddable it is. If you give us less tools than we have for Civ4, I won't play it.

Oh come on! I just got Civ 4 for Christmas!
I guess I will wait a few years before buying civ 5.

It will not really limit the means of attack but can anyone tell me how this is going to affect the city footprint? I mean now you have a "fat cross".... what will Civ V cities look like?

I also would like to see how moddable will it be ?
Civ4 was created with MAJOR focus on modding community, therefore easy access to scripts, graphics, etc.
Hope modding community is as important for Firaxis & Civ5 as with Civ4

It will not really limit the means of attack but can anyone tell me how this is going to affect the city footprint? I mean now you have a "fat cross".... what will Civ V cities look like?

After looking at the screenshots, I would guess that it will be a "fat hex"? That is, a city will work the hexes up to 2 away from the city center.

OTOH, they could simply completely change how a city works what tiles....

Wow! Something to look forward to for sure.

Looks like the combat changes are going to be quite revolutionary, hope the AI is solid out of the box.

I just hope the "Even and Odd" curse doesn't show up...

Are we heading to a battles more like Rome TW and LOTR style. Its just the images with 9-10 people for one archer unit. Hmmm.

After looking at the screenshots, I would guess that it will be a "fat hex"? That is, a city will work the hexes up to 2 away from the city center.

OTOH, they could simply completely change how a city works what tiles....

They could also make so that the city can just work the area within a certain radius instead of limiting it by hex distance.

Top Bottom