Civ5 Wishlist

The Almighty dF

Pharaoh
Put up your own wishlist for what you want in Civ5.

1. On top of the current two traits, one UU, one UB system, I want a Civ bonus kinda like Rhyes has.
2. I want Japan not to suck. I'm sorry but... Tokugawa is really hard to play as if you're not into Prince+ difficulty stuff or multiplayer.
3. More leaders. They've already announced that it won't have more civs than Civ4 did, so here's hoping it has more leaders than Civ4 did.
4. No MAF errors.
5. No MAF errors, okay?
6. Seriously Firaxis.
7. More balance than Civ4 has, IE each civ has relatively equal bonuses, the traits are all near equally good, etc. No trait has to referred to as "crap," "gimpy,", "useless against the AI," or "Protective."
8. No MAF errors.
9. More religions maybe? Shintoism, Shamanism, etc.
10. And most important... please don't let it be as dumbed down as Revolution was. I want a thinking game, just like Civ games usually are.

11. P.S. No MAF errors.

#10: according to the "Screenshot Analysis Thread", in which someone quoted a Danish magazine, religions are now out of the picture. So my wish is to have them back!

But overall my main wish is for it to be modder's paradise, so we can make the game how we want it to be ;)

We do have several of these threads in another subforum, but...I'd give anything for a good AI. Bad AI just ruins the game for me. Being able to easily mod Civ5 would be another important wish, not because I'm a mod, but because I'm the guy who downloads all of them for the added variety.:)

Edit: And keeping religions. They will be missed if they are left out.

I want some underepresented wonders, personally. Also, I hope that the Great Wall and (possibly) Hadrian's Wall only cover a certain amount of tiles from barbarian protection. The Great Wall didn't save China from Mongolia, as they just found ways around it. It'd make guarding a civ all the more interesting.

Anyway, wonders I hope to see in addition to what we have now:
-Hadrian's Wall
-Petra
-Porcelain tower of Nanjing
-Machu Picchu
-Sacsahuaman=Maybe UBER defense for the city it's built in?
-Have the Great Barrier Reef randomly pop out somewhere on the map, but not necessarily in every game
-Same for the Grand Canyon, Niagara Falls, and any other super-terrain area in existence
-Nebuchadnezzer II of Babylon, Phoenicia, Assyr, Hattusa, Nubia/Kish, Poland/Hungary/Austria/Bulgaria, seriously, atleast one of these, preferably Hungary or Austria
-Alhambra
-The Catacombs of Kom el Shoqafa
-Teotihuacan as an Aztec city and as a wonder

That's my big wish list to perfect civ for me. :p

Things I really Want From Civ V:
  1. An enhanced Pitboss server. Pitboss is a fantastic way to host/run civ games.
  2. The continuation / expansion of the promotion system to make units specialized
  3. a de-emphasis on culture as the way to define borders. I'd like ot be able to park some tanks on the French side of my border, and have my "squatting" change the border. France would have the option of declaring war, obviously.
  4. More options in the diplomacy window.
  5. An AI capable of HANDLING those new options
  6. An updated trade system with on-the-map trade routes that can be pirated.

An easy way to install mods. There is nothing more annoying than people popping into chat and asking how to instlal mods which are nothing more than a leaderhead graphic texture.

If it could be as robust as the debian package system where sites can host repositories and an easy way to put files into pack files, I could just kiss you all.

2. I want Japan not to suck. I'm sorry but... Tokugawa is really hard to play as if

Do you just dislike the military-based civilization? Surely, the game should have a few war-based civilizations, so why not Japan?

You can easily pick a Creative / Financial civ, or whatever combination you want, if you want to play a peaceful builder.

Why do you want specifically Japan to not be so warlike?

1. Add the leaders/civs from Civ 1-4 and include new ones.

2. Complete Ethnic Diversity

3. Bring back all scenarios from previous civ games.

4. Include parts of the series (1-4) the player liked best.

5. New rescources and bring back old ones. Same goes with promotions, traits, units, terrain, technologies, buildings, wonders, etc.

6. Bring back religions. And if they do include new ones.

7. Include random events. And make the events graphical. And the events that "upgraded" a unit, make the upgrade visible. For example: The event for Axemen getting tougher axeblades. Make the axeman have a new blade.

8. Include the UU and UB

9. Take out the national Wonders and make them instead Great Wonders.

10. Include the animal barbarian units. And make new ones

11. You can have diplomacy with the barbarians. Like a secret treaty that none of the other civs had or knew about. And for the Barbarians either make a leader for them or randomly select a leader that isn't used.

12. Vassal states, and new civs forming.

13. Animated Advisors.

14. Wars are named.

15. Make a new revamped Civilopedia.

16. Give the advisors and leaders different clothing styles based on the particular Era.

17. Include New Eras.

18. You can control a Civ on Alpha Centauri.

19. Make new map selections and bring back pre-existing ones.

20. Civilizations don't always start on the same continents.

21. In the Custom game option include the Any Leader with Any Civ option.

22. Be able to build 1 unit and 1 building/wonder in the queue. Makes it easier to defend a civ.

23. New ways of winning.

24. Make the Civ banner in the Industrial age+ A FLAG. And base the banner on the civ's real flag (If it is a country.)

25. Split up Native Americans.

26. Bring back Great people. Make them ethnically diverse too. And include new ones.

27. Create new scenarios.

28. Include Camera Flying.

And that's about it.

1. RELIGIONS. I want them in. In my opinoin they are what set Civ4 really different (and better) from the previous Civ3 games.

2. Random events

3. Multiple leaders per civ

4. RELIGION.

Really only three things I want to see

1. Improved Trade (bring the CivIII trade table back) No more 1-1 only trades. Let the AI value goods based on scarcity, put a price on it and let trades flow.
If AI wants to sell a tech, i want to pay for it by hacking together a package of goods for them (ie resources, gold per turn and a tech). I don't want to be told 'no' you can't do that. 1-1 only. It's bland and boring.

2. Bring back resource scarcity. Ok ultimately any resource is scare insofar as they are not unlimited spawns for them on the map. But there were so many of them in Civ4 and so many substitutes, the strategic shifts around iron/coal/saltpeter/rubber/oil no longer matter as much.

3. Maintain AI competency - AI must not gang up on human players. AI must understand all the features available (no human only features), AI must not cheat excessively and make an AI that is 'fun'

Soren on Civ 3 said:
http://intrinsicalgorithm.com/IAonAI/2008/02/gdc-2008-soren-johnsons-lecture-on-civ.html

Human-blind diplomacy (Never checks “is human?”)
Information cheats (they DO have info cheats – most of them come down to limited dev. Resources… e.g. fog of war is very expensive)

Information cheats can really backfire on you. E.g. Amphibious Assault Judo using empty port cities in Civ 3. (solved by determining random time for updating the assault target, ignore temporary data such as nearby units.)

And for good measure, Soren Johnson's slide on Civ AI. (FUN AI is what we need)

Wishes that might be possible?

I'd like for leaders and civs to evolve over time. The simplest way to do this is assoicate leaders with civics (or whatever replaces them) so that when you get a more advanced government you also get a more modern leader. Are we going to have this Bismark and Jefferson leading the then non existent America and Germany civs in 4000 BC? Or will Bismark be the Republic leader for Germany, Charlemagne the Monarchy leader etc...

Since leaders will be highly elaborate for a really cool interface, this will probably not be the case, and in fact it will be hard to mod in (I haven't done it in Civ IV yet). But then again maybe once you have the basic leader it will be easy to reskin them, even with the Civ V equivalent of XML (like using a different kfm) rather than by the Civ V equivalent of doing it nifscope. Thus maybe you will be able to get an effect like the leaders in Civ 3 that update with era.

As for AI, making a really highly moddable AI (an AI editor?) would be a pretty unique feature.

Minor Things:
1. Return of the throne room/palace customizaton
2. Return of detailed city view

Major Things:
1. More uniquness among civs (basically expanding on the UU and UB they have already, as someone else said, a civ unique bonus(es) could be nice as long as it didn't horribly unbalance the game
2. More controllable combat system. The system in IV is pretty good, but it's basically a strength v. strength fight. With the expanded hexagonal map, they should implement more terrain bonuses based on direction. For instance units should be able to gain attack bonuses for attacking from behind or from the flanks. It would make cavalry a lot more useful

I would definitely love for religions to stay in the game. I also would like more leaders, and maybe even have more unique things per civ, to add flavor. I'd also like to see some more world wonders inspired by the roman empire.

I would really love it if they took a page from other styles of games and make a "character creator" style system for leaders. This would allow for randomly-generated leaders for randomly-generated civs, enable modders to create their own civs with custom leader, and make barbarian (and city state) leaders feasible as well. It'd by definition have to result in less-polished leaders than we're used to, but be far far more flexible.
Ultimately, the one thing I've wanted for some time is for the entire game to have the possibility to be randomly-generated. Have all civ traits, bonuses, leader-body-parts be in one gigantic pool, and you can either whip up your own custom civ or randomly generate one rather than use the standard ones.

An in-game editor for new leaderheads would be nice. But in terms of gameplay, there are a few things I very much want to see.
First of all, quantitative resources: instead of a basic system (where you either have iron or your don't), mines should produce so many tons of iron per turn, and each individual swordsman unit should cost so many tons of iron to produce.
Second, related to the first, I want visible trade routes (preferably that can be plundered). I want you to lose money on trade routes the longer they are, and to lose money faster on overland trade routes than on oversea trade routes (to represent the relative ease of shipping by sea). Cities that have trade routes running through them should get a commerce bonues. This will have the added benefit of dramatically increasing the importance of navies (and also of cities like Constantinople).
And finally, I want diplomatic "conference calls"; or (since this seems ridiculously difficult), at least some mechanism of forming military and/or economical alliances between multiple partners.
I would also like some more flavour given to the different religions, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Put up your own wishlist for what you want in Civ5.

1. On top of the current two traits, one UU, one UB system, I want a Civ bonus kinda like Rhyes has.
2. I want Japan not to suck. I'm sorry but... Tokugawa is really hard to play as if you're not into Prince+ difficulty stuff or multiplayer.
3. More leaders. They've already announced that it won't have more civs than Civ4 did, so here's hoping it has more leaders than Civ4 did.
4. No MAF errors.
5. No MAF errors, okay?
6. Seriously Firaxis.
7. More balance than Civ4 has, IE each civ has relatively equal bonuses, the traits are all near equally good, etc. No trait has to referred to as "crap," "gimpy,", "useless against the AI," or "Protective."
8. No MAF errors.
9. More religions maybe? Shintoism, Shamanism, etc.
10. And most important... please don't let it be as dumbed down as Revolution was. I want a thinking game, just like Civ games usually are.

11. P.S. No MAF errors.
Am I the only one who doesn't understand what MAF means? :blush:

1. Ensure that the modern era is fun, not a barrage of tedium like it is in Civ 4.

2. Zones of control. Also have troops of different civs unable to occupy the same space as in earlier games (for the ability to choke).

3. The return of some of my favorite old wonder's. Darwin's Voyage, Leo's Workshop.

#1. Elevation, to make sealevel rising from global warming more interesting, and to allow weather (western sides of mountains more rainy, etc).
#2. A unit design workshop.
#3. Sea cities.

Basically, make it more like Alpha Centauri. ;)

Top Bottom