City - states roster!

Ikael

King
As always people talk about which civs will make it or not into the final roster, but what about the city states? They are a great chance to accomodate small, lesser civs. So which are your choices for the city states? Here are mine's:

- Sparta. Pretty self explanatory, one of the most militaristic city states, it should have military bonuses, period.

- Singapore. The most sucessful city state, it should have bonuses regarding commerce and production, me thinks.

- Babylon. You can argue that the Babilonian empire were mostly a collection of different city states, with babylon being the main one. It should have advantages at culture and demography.

- Vatican. Enough said, small yet influential city - state, it should be all about spanding religion.

Any more suggestions? Opinions?

You should change your op a bit, or else more will post rooster pics

In all seriousness, Sparta is definately not needed, as Greece is almost surely going to be on V as a civ. Same goes with Babylon

I think they will go for barbaric tribes instead of modern city states though. I can see Astrakhan being in there, if they dont make it a part of Mongolia.

Not sure if Sparta should be in. I suppose it depends on if you consider Athens to be the "real" Greece, with Sparta having to be brought in later on. I don't think this would/should be the case though. Unless you want to eliminate all of Greece and just have them in as City States.

Venice springs to mind. Some other Italian cities might count but putting in too many will run the same risk above of toeing the line between what you define a City State and what you define as part of a nation.

Ashur is a possibility.

I get the feeling Babylon might end up as a City State.
The same could likely happen with Carthage.

I hope Cuba is in as a city-state. If for no other reason than for how it has affected US policy for so long. It is a bit larger than a city-state strictly speaking, but based on what I have read about Civ V so far, it could still qualify potentially.

I wonder what a "city-state" could be - as in, will city-states be actual city-states like Venice or Singapore, or (the way I suspect it) will they be more like "minor civilizations" like Minoa and Nubia?

Trying to pick City-States that aren't including under other powers. I'm also trying to avoid a cop-out and say Ashur or Nineveh (they were capitals of Empires when people commonly think of them).

Still, in mesopotamia, you still have:

Ur
Elam
Knossos (I'm separating Crete from Greece)
Tyre
Venice
Milan
Florence
Chichen Itza
Singapore

I wanted to put in super Poleis like Rhodes or Greek Kingdoms like Pergamon, but they're not city-states and they're arguably part of Greece (I realize Knossos could be as well, but we're not entirely sure how Greek their culture was). Syracuse is in the same boat. Not Athens or the mainland, but definitely still Greek. I also was about to put Carthage, but they're genuinely an empire. My guess is that plenty of minor Civs will be in the game as City-States, which will just be an expansion of barbarians, but we shall see.

i believe city states should not be from italia and greece although greece and italia comes to my mind when i heard them.
they will alrady be in the game as empires and genoa, venice, sparta etc. should be a city of them.
i am sure vatican will never be in the game, as religion is OUT.

city states of mesopotamia, babylon, ur, uruk might be in the game if sumerian and/or babylonian civs are OUT.
similarly carthage might also be made a city-state. hittites similarly.

well, as these states lasted for a short period OR don't exist today, making them a city state is good.

native america can also be represented by city states like Sioux, Iraquai and others.

so well, if such empires are transformed to city states, then there is room for more civs in vanilla as we already have less, only 18empires.

city states of mesopotamia, babylon, ur, uruk might be in the game if sumerian and/or babylonian civs are OUT.

well, as these states lasted for a short period and don't exist today, making them a city state is good.

Lasted for a short Period ??? Sumer lasted close to 2000 years. Babylon for ~1000 years. There aren't that many civs that lasted that long ;)

Lasted for a short Period ??? Sumer lasted close to 2000 years. Babylon for ~1000 years. There aren't that many civs that lasted that long ;)

similarly carthage might also be made a city-state. hittites similarly.

well, as these states lasted for a short period OR (not and) don't exist today, making them a city state is good.
i corrected it now. i was thinking of an "or" gate but wrote "and" as a mistake.
superior power of carthage hasn't lasted so long. sumer lasted long of course.

i believe city states should not be from italia and greece although greece and italia comes to my mind when i heard them.
they will alrady be in the game as empires and genoa, venice, sparta etc. should be a city of them.

Exactly which Civ is Venice part of? It was founded so late in Imperial Roman times (people settled there to flee the Huns). Best you could say is that it was officially part of the Byzantine Empire, but the Romans rarely represent the Byzantines. It's a bit of a stretch to include them in Germany, since that usually is the modern state, not the Holy Roman Empire.

i am sure vatican will never be in the game, as religion is OUT.

Well, religion as a game mechanic appears to be out. My hope is that it's represented in at least some abstract form, even if that's just culture. The only reason I'd oppose Vatican City is it's a very modern invention that represents the Pope not being a political force in the world.

Exactly which Civ is Venice part of? It was founded so late in Imperial Roman times (people settled there to flee the Huns). Best you could say is that it was officially part of the Byzantine Empire, but the Romans rarely represent the Byzantines. It's a bit of a stretch to include them in Germany, since that usually is the modern state, not the Holy Roman Empire.
well. roman empire is italia in my point of view. it is italia with a more emphasis on capitol. i know that italian culture is a bit different on matters of city they live in and nationality but still romans are italian for me.
so venice is italian. all the city states of italia in mid age seems a part of italia for me.

i would also rename romans as italians any way. no harm for that, as all the parts seperated from romans later are unique civs already. spanish, portuguese, french etc. and most probably we will have all of them together with EPs.

i corrected it now. i was thinking of an "or" gate but wrote "and" as a mistake.
superior power of carthage hasn't lasted so long. sumer lasted long of course.

Ah buit then we are on a very slippery slope. After all neither Rome nor Byzantine Empires exists any more ;).

Although I won't have a problem with Carthage or Babylon (or Assur etc) as a Minor civ I think Sumer deserves to be a major civ simple not for their longevity or big size but for their enormous cultural, technical impact.

Ah buit then we are on a very slippery slope. After all neither Rome nor Byzantine Empires exists any more ;).

Although I won't have a problem with Carthage or Babylon (or Assur etc) as a Minor civ I think Sumer deserves to be a major civ simple not for their longevity or big size but for their enormous cultural, technical impact.
no, i don't have a problem with none of them. but 18 civs is very less so maybe we can have some of them as city states and there is room for the ones we would like to see in vanilla. that was my point.

i don't think any of them (babylon, sumer, carthage or any of sioux, iraquais etc.) will be within vanilla's 18 empires

a city state can still have a huge cultural impact. rememebr civ4 BTS OCC. a player can win the game in one city challenge, right?

no, i don't have a problem with none of them. but 18 civs is very less so maybe we can have some of them as city states and there is room for the ones we would like to see in vanilla. that was my point.

i don't think any of them (babylon, sumer, carthage or any of sioux, iraquais etc.) will be within vanilla's 18 empires

CIV started with 18civs too and with all respect to Aztecs,Inca and Mali but Sumer's impact on the world and it's development was far more important ;). OTOH someone like Monty has to be in the game to spice things up ;)

a city state can still have a huge cultural impact. rememebr civ4 BTS OCC. a player can win the game in one city challenge, right?

This would be a valid argument if the AI could make it.

Sparta will probably be a normal Greek city and Babylon the babylonian capital (provided Babylon as a civ is in, anf if they aren'r right away they'll be in an addon).
I hope we won't end up with mostly european city states from the classical or renaissance era and have instead "minor nations", states that played a role in history but weren't important enough to be a major Civilization in the game. How many non-european city-states do we know after all (Singapore, Hong Kong and Mayan cities excluded) ? Now my list will probably be controversial since some people would want one or more of the nations to be proper civ.

Akkad
Armenia
Aksum (provided Ethiopia is not a civ)
Sarmatia
Han, Yang, Song, Zhao or any other important state from China's warring states period (not Qin, they're represented with China proper).
Tikal, Palenque or other important Mayan cities (provided the Maya are not in)
Uruk, Elam Kish (provided Sumeria is not in)

Top Bottom