Infos from the new Computer Bild Spiele about Civ 5

Civinator

Blue Lion
Supporter
Computer Bild Spiele is a German computer gaming magazine (which gave the first massive informations about Civ 4). Now this magazine gave some informations about Civ 5 (but not as massive as some years ago for Civ 4).

I don´t know what of the following is known yet, but I tell you some of these informations here:

1. Tech trading is abolished.
2. Alliances give special boni (per example the possibility for a quicker research of a technology)
3. Cut-out of religions as known in Civ 4 confirmed
4. Cities can grow bigger than in former versions of the civ series as they there are 3 tiles for a city in every direction to be worked on.
5. New leader Wu Zeitan ( approximately for China)
6. New "Civilisation tree": This tree has a lot of astles, called "Social Policies". These astles contain certain paths, one of them is the path of "Tradition". Each of these astles gives a civ a certain advantage (per example special units). A civ can follow one of these paths strictly and make a deep progress in that tree on that path, but the civ can also follow parallel several different paths but doesn´t make such a deep progress in each of these paths.
7. New battle system one unit per tile confirmed:

a) New troops must leave a city at once, as there is only one unit per tile
b) Distance fighters (archers, artillery and so on) can shoot over the front units, lakes and other tiles
c) One philosophy is to form front lines for battles far away from the cities.

8. City States confirmed.

Some of this info has been quasi-confirmed. Unfortunately I'm still left wanting more info like:
-what type of religion will be present?
-what do they mean by city states?

I'm still interested to see how they plan on implementing the 1 unit per tile idea, but still keep the game enjoyable.

Indeed. "Cut-out of religions as known in Civ 4 confirmed" could imply that there are no religions at all, or that they're just much different than they were previously. Maybe the latter is just wishful thinking on my part, but I simply cannot believe the developers would abandon one of the best features of Civ 4.

Danke für die Infos!

I'm going to take a lot of convincing when it comes to no religion. The Civ Tree sounds nice and complex, which is a relief.

Stoping tech trading is good, it is always the first thing I turn off anyway. It just ends up with everybody on the same level anyway.

1. worst idea ever.
2. sounds good.
3. don't like this one, either.
4. good stuff.
5. i just googled and she looks like a good addition.
6. okay
7. not a big fan.
8. i haven't looked at any of the city-state threads yet, but okay.

Looks good. Thanks for the information. I especially like the no tech trading. Perhaps game will unfold more realistically. There will certainly be a greater willingness for the AI to ally to gain tech bonuses. Should make things very interesting. :)

What? No tech trading? That better be a ****ing mistake because that's a joke. Hex tiles are a huge change but could be very good, 1 unit per tile is a drastic change that will frighten many but it could be nice, but no tech trading turns Civ on its head :(

It doesn't follow any kind of logic either...

What? No tech trading? That better be a ****ing mistake because that's a joke. Hex tiles are a huge change but could be very good, 1 unit per tile is a drastic change that will frighten many but it could be nice, but no tech trading turns Civ on its head :(

CiV has been in development for 2 years now. I am very confident that they know what they are doing. No tech trading will be excellent. It should slow the pace of progress a bit and hopefully units and buildings won't become obsolete so quickly. Also, it will force you to tech very differently than usual and will create some difficult choices. In my opinion it'll be great.

I suppose that is why they invented the research deals. Instead of trading directly for tech, civs now have to cooperate to discover a paryicular tech. A good change, I believe.

Except for the religions being 'cut-out', everything else seems good, especially kicking Mao out of the game at last. Although like Gaius Octavius I really really really hope they still keep religions in, even if in a modified (or even really downplayed) version... Just as they don't get way down to the temple+cathedral system in Civ3.

CiV has been in development for 2 years now. I am very confident that they know what they are doing. No tech trading will be excellent. It should slow the pace of progress a bit and hopefully units and buildings won't become obsolete so quickly. Also, it will force you to tech very differently than usual and will create some difficult choices. In my opinion it'll be great.

i strongly disagree. i know there's supposed to be a different tech system, but i don't see how getting rid of trading techs will be even remotely close to mediocre. i like trading techs, not just because it's realistic, but because it's just fun to get stuff by trading for it.

Actually I like no tech trading. Tech-whoring was always kinda lame, and unrealistic. The difficulty in learning a something new is not in some secret formula, but in figuring out how to actually adopt and use some new practice or way of thinking. It makes no sense for leaders to suddenly go "ok, I'll teach you liberalism if you teach me aesthetics". "I demand that in tribute you instantly teach me... democracy!"

I hope some kind of diffusion mechanic (lower costs for non-first to learn) is in though.

i like trading techs, not just because it's realistic, but because it's just fun to get stuff by trading for it.

Which is exactly what I hate about it :).

We need a game play demo here, guys. Screenshots are nice, but this is the 21st century.

i strongly disagree. i know there's supposed to be a different tech system, but i don't see how getting rid of trading techs will be even remotely close to mediocre. i like trading techs, not just because it's realistic, but because it's just fun to get stuff by trading for it.

My first thought is that with the potentially different tech system, it may not be as realistic or make as much sense to exchange techs anymore. Additionally, it will create much more depth to the game by not being able to trade techs (or for that matter have the AIs all trading techs behind your back).

You will no longer be able to beeline to a specific tech and then backfill with trades to catch up in other areas. It sounds like you will now have to be much more careful in how you research to maintain your competitiveness. It also opens up new avenues for cooperation with other civs.

All of this is good in my book. I didn’t really think about the tech system/trading being super broken before reading this thread, but it just kinda clicks now. The old way was just that – old and stale.

I agree that tech-trading as represented in the game is not that realistic, but it is fun, and it gives you something else to discuss in diplomacy. I just hope that the new diplomatic options compensate for the fun that is lost by not having tech-trading. I'm fairly optimistic, though. Joint research sounds interesting. I hope it's actually something like "let's jointly research optics" and then each civ gets to research the tech at 50% or 75%, not like the research treaties in GalCiv2, which just gave flat bonuses to all research and could only be negotiated one time.

4,6,and 7 are the only ones I care about. The rest won't have an affect on MP. Matter of fact, tech trading is always turned off in MP games as it is. Lol, chalk 1 up for another victory over the SP lugs!

I'm liking these changes and the direction CivV is taking. It's very different to CivIV, and it feels to me that V is going to be a greater jump from IV than IV was from III - that could just be me though. I can't wait to try out these radical gameplay changes. Have to say I'm a little apprehensive about losing religions, but we'll have to wait for further updates to see what's really happening there.

As a fan of the Civ franchise since it practically started, I'm sure that the developers know what they are doing and will make this into an awesome sequel. Have faith people!

Sounds great, we can't make progress just treading on old ground, every new version of Civ should be something new.

No tech trading will work, if bonuses are granted if your neighbors know the tech.

I'm worried about the one unit-per-tile feature... So now we have to defend cities with just one unit?

To the OP: Can you post the article url? Would be nice to check it out...

1. Tech trading abolished.

Great. Tech trading was always one of the most abused aspects of the game. Not being able to rely on dealing for techs makes the decision of how to tech through the tree very, very different and much, much more interesting. People will cry because it takes away a huge crutch, but it's a great change for the gameplay experience.

4. Cities can grow bigger than in former versions of the civ series as they there are 3 tiles for a city in every direction to be worked on.

Another good change. With a reach of 3 hexes in any direction plus the increased importance of tactical terrain/unit movement (because of 1 unit per hex), city placement gets much more interesting.

6. New "Civilisation tree": A civ can follow one of these paths strictly and make a deep progress in that tree on that path, but the civ can also follow parallel several different paths but doesn't make such a deep progress in each of these paths.

This is the most exciting news, for me. Sounds awesome. Having more ways to customize your Civ and access unique strategic/playstyle opportunities is always good. I wonder if this supplements, replaces or is unrelated to the Social Policies/Civics/Government.

Top Bottom