Swedish PC Gamer preview of Civilization 5 in March 2010 edition

Danielos

Emperor
The March-edition of Swedish PC Gamer has a 6-pages preview of Civilization 5. I suspect that most of the info has already been presented on this forum, but since several here have asked me to summarize the article, I will try to give an overview. I guess hearing the same information with some new words may easen your Civ 5-addiction... :lol:

About Civ 5:

About 50 persons are currently working on the game, which has been in development for over two years, but is now reaching the final phases.

About Sid Meier:

PC Gamer talks a little with Sid Meier. He said: "It is always a challenge trying to find new ways to improve Civilization and at the same time keeping what made the game addictive and fun in the first place. It has always been our philosophy to listen to the players and follow what happens in the modding community and then merge them with our own ideas and even if we are working on console- and Facebook-versions of the Civilization-franchise so has always Civilization 5 been a return to the heart and soul of the franchise."

Hexagons:

The game has a new engine composed of a hexagons. Jon Shafer thinks this change is good, since it gives you lesser options of movement but each option is therefore more important. It also means that for example mountains and forests can have a more natural pattern.

Graphics:

The graphics will have a completely new style- Art-deco, inspired by games like Grim Fandango. It is designed by Russel Vaccaro. The environments, like forests and oceans, will be a lot more animated than in Civ 4.

Sound:

The game will have an advanced sound-engine, which will change sounds depending on if you are in the hills, the forests or on the ocean. It will also have a large soundtrack.

Panzer General:

The new hexagonal change is specifically useful in the new, improved combat system. Now you may only have a maximum of one unit in a hexagon. This includes the cities. Shafer says that Panzer General was the main inspiration for this change into a more tactical battlefield. The new system forces your units out of the cities and out into the terrain, forming natural frontlines and taking advantage of good defensive positions.

Bombardment:

Some units may attack other units more than one hex away, for example archers.

Terrain:

Hills give defensive advantages. Your units can see and shoot farther there.

Leaders:

You will now see leaders in full view. They alsp talk in their native language. Firaxis has resurrected the extinct language of quechua (used by Inca). However, all leaders will have their lines subtitled in English.

City states:

These are small, AI-controlled civilizations. They never grow big and doesn´t desire to win. The player must choose if he is to be friendly, indifferent or hostile towards a city state. The attitude you has towards a particular city state will have a big effect on diplomacy. If for example your units is approaching a city state that have friendly relations with another civilization, he will warn you, and if you ignore them, there will be consequences.

Barbarians:

The barbarians originate from a barbarian city and will get more advanced units later in the game. You need to wipe out all barbarian cities to get rid of the barbarian hordes.

City expansion:

Borders does no longer expand in large areas, but one hex at a time. Remote hexes like marshes, forests and mountains will be harder to acquire.

Economy:

You can invest money in your neighboring hexagons, for example trying to acquire an important resource before your opponent.

Research:

You can also sign a research-deal with another civilization. This way, both civs will cooperate to reach the new technology and both will gain it when the discovery is made. This was included to encourage cooperation between civilizations.

Diplomacy:

The civilizations will have an all-new advanced AI. All opponents will have fixed characteristics. Based on this unique personality, every AI-player will have their own agenda, which the AI will use to plan how to best play to win the game. But there will also be a certain randomness to avoid having the AI be too easy to predict.

Conclusions:

PC Gamer was impressed with what they saw. They think the new graphics was a real facelift for the franchise, and the interface is greatly improved. They also thought the soundtrack was brilliant. They conclude:

"Judging from the gameplay-sequences we saw, Civilization 5 will make no fan of the franchise disappointed."

"Judging from the gameplay-sequences we saw, Civilization 5 will make no fan of the franchise disappointed."

Well I'm more than a little excited already. With my Civ experience so far, I will trust what Sid is changing.

Great job. Thanks for your hard work. :goodjob:

I particularly like the animated forests and oceans. I am a sucker for eye candy. Sounds like the sound part is going to be great too.

Even more excited now. :D

This sounds like the making of a very strong Civ game. The only unknown (that I can think of) is religion.

Now can we get gameplay videos? Please, Firaxis?

Thanks for the info. Was there anything on the economics, like resources, or about research?

No, not more than what I already mentioned like being able to invest money in neighboring regions, being able to trade with city states and having research deals with other civilizations.

Research deal... that sounds interesting. I always wanted to have some actual reason not to go to war with people. I mean, I always preferred war but then it always seemed like the only logical choice.

Also, archers shooting from a distance? Yayz! Maybe the game will finally make some sense. Honestly, archers shouldn't have to be damaged by attacking swordsman.

Research deal... that sounds interesting. I always wanted to have some actual reason not to go to war with people. I mean, I always preferred war but then it always seemed like the only logical choice.

Also, archers shooting from a distance? Yayz! Maybe the game will finally make some sense. Honestly, archers shouldn't have to be damaged by attacking swordsman.

Indeed, and with no tech trading it's an even better motivation to make allies. However, with the resources being changed in how they work it'll make some very interesting choices. Do you ally to get an advantage in tech over other players or do you go to war to get resources which could give you an advantage. Sounds great. :goodjob:

The writer should have taken a look at this forum. It seems like half the people have already convinced themselves this game will be awful.

I actually really like the direction the game is taking. Instead of just going with a "more is better" approach, they seem to be making changes that will focus the game more. For example, instead of having a ton of leaders with swappable characteristics, it sounds like they're really making the AI act like real people.

Was there anything specifically mentioned about the fate of culture as a gameplay mechanic? Interestingly it seems that some aspects that were under culture in the past (such as expanding into squares... or hexagons in this case) were under culture, but from what the OP said that may not be the case.

You will now see leaders in full view. They alsp talk in their native language. Firaxis has resurrected the extinct language of quechua (used by Inca). However, all leaders will have their lines subtitled in English.

Quechua isn't extinct. I met a Quechua speaker this summer.

And if that isn't enough to convince you, Wikipedia says it isn't extinct, either.

Indeed, and with no tech trading it's an even better motivation to make allies. However, with the resources being changed in how they work it'll make some very interesting choices. Do you ally to get an advantage in tech over other players or do you go to war to get resources which could give you an advantage. Sounds great. :goodjob:

Is there going to be no tech trading? I hadn't heard that.

So, sounds like culture is probably out. Shame.

I'm a bit leery about spending gold to expand territory.

Otherwise seems promising.

Quechua isn't extinct. I met a Quechua speaker this summer.

And if that isn't enough to convince you, Wikipedia says it isn't extinct, either.

Is there going to be no tech trading? I hadn't heard that.

Quechua is as extinct as Latin.

So, sounds like culture is probably out. Shame.

I'm a bit leery about spending gold to expand territory.

Otherwise seems promising.

No, culture is still in, but the expansion occur differenty, one hexagon at a time. Also, it seems like you can now use money as well as culture to expand.

Graphics:

The graphics will have a completely new style- Art-deco, inspired by games like Grim Fandango. It is designed by Russel Vaccaro. The environments, like forests and oceans, will be a lot more animated than in Civ 4.
I turned that off right away, and I hope I can do that in Civ 5 too, so I don't need to buy a new computer just to waste cycles on glitz when I'm concentrating on a strategy game.

Quechua is as extinct as Latin.

Except for the inconvenient fact that it is still spoken as a primary language by millions of people…

Terrain:

Hills give defensive advantages. Your units can see and shoot farther there.

I think this is a big point as well. It looks like terrain, especially elevation, will play a much bigger part in overall strategy than in past versions. Sure you got a bonus for terrain in other versions, but being able to shoot farther from a hill has some interesting implications.

About Sid Meier:

PC Gamer talks a little with Sid Meier. He said: "It is always a challenge trying to find new ways to improve Civilization and at the same time keeping what made the game addictive and fun in the first place. It has always been our philosophy to listen to the players and follow what happens in the modding community and then merge them with our own ideas and even if we are working on console- and Facebook-versions of the Civilization-franchise so has always Civilization 5 been a return to the heart and soul of the franchise."

Sounds promising. No dumbed down Civilization 5? :)

Top Bottom