Muse

Camikaze

Administrator
Administrator
Speaking of Triple J's Hottest 100, I have to say that I'm disappointed Muse didn't do better last year. I mean, sure, they got 4 in the list, but the highest was only 9th? How on earth did Mumford and Sons beat them?

Muse did crap last year because their album was crap compared to the rest of their work. I personally refused to vote for any Muse songs solely because they can do much better than what they dished up.

Eh, I still disagree with that. I firmly think that The Resistance is only bested by Absolution. A move towards more upbeat pop type songs (that still are not pop songs, but are not in the same vein as, say, Plug in Baby) is a good thing, IMO. If they kept trying to produce the same type of stuff, it would be bound to be mediocre in comparison. Having a change and doing it well, however, is a good way to go.

Well I wasn't trying to diss Plug In Baby (although, for the record, it's one of my least favourite Muse songs :p), in fact, I was saying that if they had attempted more of the same, it would be bound to be of a lower quality. So going for something different was the way to go. And what they did that was different, although apparently not liked by some for being too much 'pop', was catchy, and well executed.

The Resistance was let down severely by the ridiculously wanky symphony and a couple of real stinkers in the middle.

Also, how could you dislike Plug In Baby? It has an awesome riff.

The vocals in Plug In Baby are relatively cringe-worthy compared to most of Muse's work. And I still like it...just not nearly as much as other songs.

And IMO the symphony was a brilliant work of genius. I don't see what's 'wanky' about it, unless you're classifying anything that involves a string section as 'wanky'. The first half of the album is the strong suit, but the only real weak song in it is Unnatural Selection, which isn't all that bad. Everything else is at least enjoyable and reasonably good, if not fantastic.

I don't see how Plug In Baby's are any more cringe-worthy than any of the conspiracy theory lyrics on the Resistance (in particular).

Also, Guiding Light, I Belong to You and the Symphony, 5/11 of the album, are all songs that I strongly dislike.

Muse are nice, but severely overrated. :p

I love Muse and their latest album is pretty good. Not sure why, if it's even true, it would be any worse only cause it's disappointing compared to their earlier work. (Which I don't think I agree with)

If something is good it is good, doesn't matter if it's not as good as it could be or not as good as any earlier work in comparison.

And I agree with Heretic Cata, they are overrated. But that doesn't matter either really. :p

Great Teignmouth band Camikaze@ but Torquay is a better town

I think I've listened to their latest album once and haven't been inclined to listen to it again. Showbiz is probably my favourite album of theirs.

Note: I haven't really listened to their new stuff. I just went into this thread to say this: Butterflies and Hurricanes is one of my favorite non-classical songs ever. :) I quite like Knights of Cydonia too, but that's about it. I don't like any other song, on the whole, although I have to admit that they have lots of very good ideas that I considered incorporating in my compositions, and they can do a lot with just 3 people. The falsetto in the vocals can be great (as it is in B&H, where it gives the whole thing sense), but they severely overdo it, and I hate it when the guy sounds like a moaning cat rather than an actual human (let alone an actual man :p). Sometimes they overdo it so much that they start sounding like a manele singer (Cata knows what I'm talking about ;)).

Conclusion: one-hit-wonder for me, they have much potential but they seem to be throwing it out of the window. Things can be done, but things must be changed first. Of course, my voice is just one of the many.

@people who think they are overrated- what makes you think they are overrated? I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong (although obviously I disagree with you), but I'm curious as to why you think they are overrated.

I don't see how Plug In Baby's are any more cringe-worthy than any of the conspiracy theory lyrics on the Resistance (in particular).

Also, Guiding Light, I Belong to You and the Symphony, 5/11 of the album, are all songs that I strongly dislike.

Link to video.

Link to video.

Link to video.

I don't listen to lyrics. At all. I just don't here them when I listen to a song. I was talking about the timbre of the vocals.

What makes you dislike Guiding Light, I Belong To You and the Symphony in particular? I mean, sure, Guiding Light is certainly not my favourite song, nor is I Belong To You, but I think they are at least reasonably decent.

Note: I haven't really listened to their new stuff. I just went into this thread to say this: Butterflies and Hurricanes is one of my favorite non-classical songs ever.

Link to video.

Yeah, Butterflies and Hurricanes is my favourite song.

The falsetto in the vocals can be great (as it is in B&H, where it gives the whole thing sense), but they severely overdo it, and I hate it when the guy sounds like a moaning cat rather than an actual human (let alone an actual man :p)

Link to video.

Link to video.

Link to video.

I have to say, this is perhaps the only problem I find with their symphony. Although I think the falsetto voice work for it for the most part, it does seem a bit much at times.

Conclusion: one-hit-wonder for me, they have much potential but they seem to be throwing it out of the window. Things can be done, but things must be changed first. Of course, my voice is just one of the many.

What do you think they need to change? What things can be done to improve?

I love Muse and their latest album is pretty good. Not sure why, if it's even true, it would be any worse only cause it's disappointing compared to their earlier work. (Which I don't think I agree with)

If something is good it is good, doesn't matter if it's not as good as it could be or not as good as any earlier work in comparison.

And I agree with Heretic Cata, they are overrated. But that doesn't matter either really. :p

Half the album sucks, and the bad half affects my perception on how good the other half is.

Link to video.

Link to video.

Link to video.

I don't listen to lyrics. At all. I just don't here them when I listen to a song. I was talking about the timbre of the vocals.

What makes you dislike Guiding Light, I Belong To You and the Symphony in particular? I mean, sure, Guiding Light is certainly not my favourite song, nor is I Belong To You, but I think they are at least reasonably decent.

I don't know what makes me dislike them in particular, but I would guess that a lack of energy in the songs is a significant part of the reason.

Link to video.

Yeah, Butterflies and Hurricanes is my favourite song.

2nd best song on Absolution.

Well, I will freely admit that Stockholm Syndrome is a brilliant song...but I would put it at 3rd best on Absolution, behind B & H and Hysteria. That shows how good Absolution is, though, more than anything.

Well, the first 3 are quite good...but I'm not a big fan of the next 3, although they are still decent. Hyper Music sounds way too generic 90's, although once you get past the intro, it's pretty catchy. The choruses are not really enjoyable, though. And Citizen Erased is...okay...but again, it sounds way too 90's. Better than Hyper Music, but they have done awfully better than these songs. Darkshines, at least, is better than these two songs. Overall, I'd put Origin of Symmetry equal bottom of the Muse pile alongside Showbiz, although both are decent albums.

Top Bottom