Crashing Multiplayer? - Info on Firewalls, Routers and Proxies

Isak

Civ4 Scenario Designer
This info has been updated to be compatible with patch 1.14f

Anyone who experiences total inability to connect to Multiplayer games (or at least a lot of problems) is most likely behind a Software Firewall, Hardware Firewall, NAT Router or a Proxy.

My intention with this thread is to provide help in figuring out whether or not your (MP PtW) problem is firewall related, and what to do in case it is.
I have divided this first post into four parts.
  • Part 1: Guide to finding out if you are behind a firewall.
  • Part 2: What to do if you are behind a firewall.
  • Part 3: General Troubleshooting guide.
  • Part 4: Tips and Links
Part 1: If you don't know whether you are behind a firewall or not, here are some ways to check:
  • To check whether you're behind a Hardware Firewall/Router,
    - open up an MSDos Prompt (Click Start, Run, type Command and press enter - or select MSDos Prompt from the list of Programs manually)
    - in the DOS prompt, type IPCONFIG and note the IP adress your computer currently has. If it starts with 192 or 10, you're behind a Router.
  • To check whether a Proxy or Software Firewall is installed (and active) on your computer:
    1. Check the Taskbar (usually located next to the system clock). If a Firewall is currently installed and running, there'll (most likely) be an Icon for it in your taskbar, next to the clock.
    2. Press CTRL+ALT and click DEL (once) to get the list of active tasks, and see if you can find a Firewall application there.
    3. Check the list of installed programs in the Add/Remove Programs section of your Control Panel.
  • Call your Internet Service Provider. :)
    They should be able to tell you if they supplied you with the router
    - Some Internet Service Providers block traffic on certain ports. Be sure to ask them if that is the case.(thanks to Kring for the tip)
  • Try a quick test to find out whether some ports are open, closed or totally filtered out. This gives a good indication of whether or not your computer is protected by some kind of firewall.
    - One such test is located at DSLReports - find it by clicking Our Tools in the menu and selecting Port Scan. If ports are reported as being filtered out (i.e. the scan is unable to tell whether ports are open or closed) you're behind a firewall. (Thanks to Swissy @Apolyton for the link)
    Please note that this test does not scan all ports, only ports that are commonly used, so it can't really be used to determine whether you have opened all the correct ports.
  • Even if none of the above seem to indicate it, you may still be behind a Firewall or Router (even your ISP don't always know what equipment or software you have).
    Start checking the cable from your network adapter and find out which 'boxes' it goes through. One of them might be a Router.
    In general:
    - If you're using a Dial-Up connection, your most likely not behind a hardware firewall, so you only need to check for Software Firewalls. The exception to this rule is (as far as I know) some ISDN routers that are used with dial-up connections.
    - On a Cable or DSL connection, some ISP's provide router's as standard equipment or optionals. Your ISP should know this.
    - If you're trying to play from work, using connections from college, university, or similar, it is very likely that you are behind a firewall of some sort. [thanks Venger]
Part 2: If you are behind a firewall:

First off, read the official Gamespy Firewall support page. It explains the basics better than I can.

Hardware Firewalls/Routers
Most Hardware Firewalls give you several ways to allow PtW to use the internet.

DMZ - De-militarized zone: This is (often) the quickest way to setup the firewall to allow the game total access to the internet. Note that not all firewalls have this feature. It is also a great security hazard, as placing a computer in DMZ essentially places one computer outside the firewall, i.e. unprotected by it. Check your Firewall Manual to find out if your Firewall supports it and how to activate this, or find the manufacturers homepage.

Opening Ports/Port-Forwarding:
If you have a Hardware Firewall/Router, go to the manufacturers website for support on how to open/forward the required ports.
Ports Needed: Some debate exists over which ports are really needed - the list below includes those that Gamespy and Firaxis/Infogrames list, and will only include other ports if I have solid confirmation that these are needed.

Playing through GamespyArcade or In-game menu

To Join a game: According to the Gamespy FAQ (and the PTW readme - thanks Shou), the following ports must be opened.
  • 6667 (IRC)
  • 3783 (Voice Chat Port)
  • 27900 (Master Server UDP Heartbeat)
  • 28900 (Master Server List Request)
  • 29900 (GP Connection Manager)
  • 29901 (GP Search Manager)
  • 13139 (Custom UDP Pings)
  • 6500 (Query Port)
  • 2302 (DirectPlay - UDP)
To Host a game: Your ISP (and your firewall) must allow you to act as server on the following ports:
  • 6500 (Query Port)
Playing a Direct IP game
To Join a game: You must know the IP adress of the host, and the following port must be opened
To Host a game: The following ports must be opened and your ISP and Firewall must allow you to act as server on these ports.
  • 6500 (Query Port)
Port 80 has been removed from the lists, as it seems it is unecessary after all. It has also been removed from the PtW readme.
Port 6515 has also been removed, as 2302 is now being used for DirectPlay.

Software Firewalls:

If you're behind a software firewall you need to make sure that the firewall allows all relevant programs (EXE's) access to the internet, and also that it allows them to act as servers.
The programs that need access are:
  • Civilization3x.exe
  • DirectPlay
  • GamespyArcade (only if you are running the game through GamespyArcade)
Part 3: Basic Troubleshooting Guide:
  • Find a person who has made it work using his/her current setup. Preferrably someone who is not behind a firewall or router, but the key point is that they have been able to Host and Join with few problems. They may still have experienced crashes or OOS errors once they were in the game, but that is beside the point right now. All you need is someone you can connect with (no pun intended).
  • Test if you can join a game and successfully make it into the game itself (past all the setup screens), with this person as host, and any routers or firewalls configured properly.
    Only allow 2 player games to start with, just to reduce the sources of errors as much as possible.
  • If you can't make it into the game (and you're still sure the problem is not on the other person's end), deactivate everything you possibly can, even disconnecting your router
    (WARNING: Make sure your ISP allows you to connect to the internet without it, and make sure you know how to reconnect it) - basically, just deactivate anything that could be a possible source of errors, no matter how unlikely it is. Your aim is just to get into the game for now, not to actually play it. Just keep on tweaking and testing with the same person.
  • If you still don't make it, you should start thinking about whether your ISP is blocking any ports, or has you behind a proxy.
    You may also want to reinstall network protocols, DirectX 8, Civ3/PtW. Some people on the Gamespy forums even claim that doing a Custom uninstall, followed by a reinstall of Gamespy Arcade, solves the weirdest problems.

Or post here with info on what you tried and where it fails, what OS you're running etc..
  • If you make it into the game, start re-adding stuff - antivirus, chat programs, your router (configured to have the correct ports open or using DMZ, Port Forwarding or similar) etc. - with a bit of luck you'll find out what was keeping you from connecting in the first place.
Part 4: General Tips and links:

Hardware Firewalls/NAT Router tips and linksSoftware Firewall tips and Links
  • If you have a Software Firewall or Proxy, go to the developer's support page for help on how to allow Gamespy Arcade/PtW/DirectPlay to access the internet. Note: Disabling a Software Firewall will not help if it has already closed the port!
  • To deactivate the 'built-in' firewall in WindowsXP check out this Microsoft Support guide
If you have any problems with any of the steps above post about it here and hopefully we'll be able to help each other figure it out. :)

Big thanks go out to Shou, Plux, Venger, Chieftess, Swissy(@Apolyton), Acererak(@Apolyton) and everyone else who have posted on this thread.

Finally: Please note that even though you have a lot of problems, you're not necessarily behind a firewall or proxy - a lot of things can go wrong on a PC - it's a sad thing, but a small price to pay for a tool with a high level of configurability and customizability, IMHO :smoke:

Revision History:

25th December 2002: 2nd major revision
27th December 2002: Added that DirectPlay Port (2302) can be configured to UDP.

Thanks i wasn't sure if i had a firewall, but now i know i do. I'll have to try a MP tonight:)

Nice Info! Stickied! :goodjob:

Thanks Chieftess - that will save me the trouble of bumping it every other day, which was my original plan ;)

I updated the first post with a bit of info on ISP blocks, Router Support and a Port Scan test.

I will try to elaborate things a bit more during the next couple of days. Anyone who has anything to add, or ask, please do so. If I can't answer, there's probably someone around here who can :)

I have a netgear internet gateway router and i understand how to open ports but ....what ports need to be opened?

According to the Gamespy FAQ, the following ports must be opened:

Edit: Added the list to the first post instead. Thanks to Shou for reminding me of port 80.

Hope that helps :)

Originally posted by Isak
According to the Gamespy FAQ, the following ports must be opened.
  • 6667 (IRC)
  • 3783 (Voice Chat Port)
  • 27900 (Master Server UDP Heartbeat)
  • 28900 (Master Server List Request)
  • 29900 (GP Connection Manager)
  • 29901 (GP Search Manager)
  • 6515 (Dplay UDP)
  • 6500 (Query Port)
Hope that helps :)

I think those ports are used by GameSpy and PtW itself uses other ports.

Results from my experiment suggest that
PTW uses:

* 47264 (TCP)
* 2300-2400 (TCP)
* 2300-2400 (UDP)

and for non-diplomatic screen chats

* 60000(61000?)-65535 (TCP)
* 60000(61000?)-65535 (UDP)

I'm not sure those ports are necessary and sufficient confidtions, but I succeeded to host a multiplay game by opening above all ports.

Thanks Shou - yes, I forgot about Port 80 'coz it wasn't listed in the Gamespy FAQ. This is also the port that many Internet Service Providers block, to prevent users from setting up webservers. So it's one to keep an eye out for.

About the other ports - well, first of all, I can't say whether or not you're right at the moment. I would have to test. Maybe if you could hook up with someone and see if you can get multiplayer going with those ports open, then once you know you can, start closing the ports segment by segment, until crashes occur.

Second, opening 5535 ports in sequence is a bit of a security hazard (or people should at least be aware of the fact that it could be) - so I definitely wouldn't advise doing it unless you're absolutely sure it's needed, or you are 100% aware of the risks.

Hey, I have 2 quick questions. Most the time when a game starts it just goes to the title screen and freezes, or it gets to the game room and it freezes. Is this because of the firewall, or is this some of the unstable issues I heard about (I have played 1 game so I'm not really sure)

And 1 more thing, does anyone know how to enable ports on a Windows ME computer?

Thank you for your time

@Faray357:

It could very well be a Firewall problem you're experiencing - did you take the test from DSLreports? (link in the first post)

Opening ports isn't really dependant on the operating system/windows version. On a basic install of Windows, no ports are closed.

It is only if you use some sort of Firewall (Router w. Firewall or Software Firewall) that ports will become closed. So the procedure for opening them again will depend on which type of Firewall you're using. You should consult the manufacturer/developer support pages first, if possible, but if you can't find them anywhere, post the type/model/version you're using, and I bet someone here will be able to figure it out. :)

has anyone been able to host behind a linksys router without turning on DMZ?
so far I've only been able to host when I turn on DMZ. I would prefer to not have to do this.

I setup port forwarding (even port triggering) for the above mentioned ports and still no luck.
may be possible I'm doing this all wrong. if someone has been sucessfull can you post your settings?

Thanks.

@targeteer2k:
If you want to set up port forwarding, you have to deactivate the router's DHCP server, which means that you then have to give all units on the network (including the Router) a static LAN IP adress, and then configure the router to forward ports to the IP adress of the computer you want to use.

Also note that some Linksys Port Forwarding setups require you to check an 'Enable' button before the entire scheme is put to use - you can set up thousands (well, almost) of port forwards, but if you forget that last Enable check, all your settings won't take effect.

But, that said, the DMZ is by far the easiest way to do it - I wish my router could do that :) If you set up a software firewall on the computer you want to put in the De-militarized Zone, you should be quite safe. Just remember to allow the Civ3 applications and Gamespy Arcade to pass through this firewall.

Let me know what you already tried, and what model number you have, and I'll look into it if you're still having problems.

I'm running a Linksys BEFW11S4 and even with DMZ on for this IP I still crash joining a multiplayer game every single time. I'm running 1.04f and using Gamespy, if that's relevant.

Any help?

Hi all.

I spent some time today with Isak trying to get PTW working. I have a linksys router.. BEFSR41. Upgraded to the latest firmware.

1 - I setup the router in DMZ more. What this does is that it port forwards all external requests to a single PC. So if someone tries to contact you on any port, wether it is UPD or TCP, the request if forwarded to a specific PC. What this implies is that your router no longer acts as a NAT firewall at all for that PC. The advantages is that it is like of you used your broadband modem directly on A NIC. No need to setup port forwarding etc.

2 - I have tried to play without the modem and hosting is still problematic. Freezing for 30 seconds. crashing etc.

3 - I have win2000 sp3 and the game crashes occasionaly while seting up a game. It freezes sometimes as well.

4 - My first successful game was done with 1 human oponent and it lasted for over 4 hours. I have had 1 other successful game with 2 other people and we played like for 2 hours( no crashes). BTW I am starting to play PTW.

5 I have disabled sound and animations. I have patch 1.04

6 - The only other software running is Norton antivirus and EZ CD creator Direct CD.

I would appreciate any suggestion to help me out.

The best to all!:)

@DroidDR: I would definitely try to deactivate EZ CD creator and NAV (or NIS - Norton Internet Security) if that's what you have.
If for nothing else, then at least to see if they interfere - you can always switch them back on later one by one, when you've made it work to your satisfaction.

Actually, I would advise anyone with (apparent) problems setting up their firewall or router, do the following.

1. Find a person who has made it work using his/her current setup. Preferrably someone who is not behind a firewall or router, but the key point is that they have been able to Host and Join with few problems. They may still have experienced crashes or OOS errors once they were in the game, but that is beside the point right now. All you need is someone you can connect with :) (no pun intended).

2. Test if you can join a game and successfully make it into the game itself (past all the setup screens), with this person as host, and any routers or firewalls configured properly.
Only allow 2 player games to start with, just to reduce the sources of errors as much as possible.

3. If you can't make it into the game (and you're still sure the problem is not on the other person's end), deactivate everything you possibly can, even disconnecting your router
(WARNING: Make sure your ISP allows you to connect to the internet without it, and make sure you know how to reconnect it) - basically, just deactivate anything that could be a possible source of errors, no matter how unlikely it is. Your aim is just to get into the game for now, not to actually play it. Just keep on tweaking and testing with the same person.

4. If you still don't make it, you should start thinking about whether your ISP is blocking any ports, or has you behind a proxy.
You may also want to reinstall network protocols, DirectX 8, Civ3/PtW. Some people on the Gamespy forums even claim that doing a Custom uninstall, followed by a reinstall of Gamespy Arcade, solves the weirdest problems.

Or post here with info on what you tried and where it fails, what OS you're running etc..

5. If you make it into the game, start re-adding stuff - antivirus, chat programs, your router (configured to have the correct ports open or using DMZ, Port Forwarding or similar) etc. - with a bit of luck you'll find out what was keeping you from connecting in the first place.

Hi... I was having a problem with a router, but a slightly different one than what I've seen anyone else here post about.

I'm using a Linksys BEFSR81 router, and I can join and play a game fine. However, when two of my roommates and myself all try to join the same internet game, only one of us will actually join. The other two people appear to join, but they'll get dropped to the main menu screen, and their game will freeze.

Has anyone else had any experience with multiple users behind the same router trying to join the same game? Or any suggestions in general?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks. ^_^

I should add we tried with both 1.01f and 1.04f, neither to any avail.

@shinji

Only one player per internet connection/IP Adress is allowed, I'm afraid.

:(

Some notes...

A 10. or 192. (you left out the private class B nets) means you are behind a NAT router, not neccessarily a firewall. Additionally, many, many private network have simply picked public numbers for their network (improperly) and may still be NAT'd and/or firewalled. Further, many network use public IP's assigned by their ISP on the LAN, and still run a firewall...

If you are on a modem - you aren't on a firewall, unless you are running ZoneAlarm or their ilk.

If you are on cable/DSL - unless you bought a router, you are not on a firewall...

If you are at work - you are likely on a firewall, if not, fire your IT guy and call me...

Finally, whoever thought Gamespy was a good way to do Internet play for this game should be FREAKING SHOT. I was understanding the patch or a future patch allows direct IP? If so, it should hopefully require fewer ports to be mapped.

Isak - your last note - is your statement related to gamespy? Be a shame if me and my kid couldn't play on the internet together because we NAT out from the same IP on our network...

Venger

Originally posted by Venger
Some notes...

A 10. or 192. (you left out the private class B nets) means you are behind a NAT router, not neccessarily a firewall. Additionally, many, many private network have simply picked public numbers for their network (improperly) and may still be NAT'd and/or firewalled. Further, many network use public IP's assigned by their ISP on the LAN, and still run a firewall...
True - I didn't want to make an exhaustive list, just wanted ppl to start thinking about the possibility that they might be behind a hardware firewall - or indeed any kind of device that could block their internet access. :)

If you are on a modem - you aren't on a firewall, unless you are running ZoneAlarm or their ilk.
With the exception of some ISDN Routers, AFAIK.

If you are on cable/DSL - unless you bought a router, you are not on a firewall...
True, but being at the receiving end of an ISP hotline, I know for a fact that most people only know they've got 2 or 3 boxes stashed up over in the corner ;)

If you are at work - you are likely on a firewall, if not, fire your IT guy and call me...
LOL - And the same applies to most university or college connections.

Finally, whoever thought Gamespy was a good way to do Internet play for this game should be FREAKING SHOT. I was understanding the patch or a future patch allows direct IP? If so, it should hopefully require fewer ports to be mapped.
Yep, Direct IP should be included in the next patch, and hopefully that will solve some problems.

Isak - your last note - is your statement related to gamespy? Be a shame if me and my kid couldn't play on the internet together because we NAT out from the same IP on our network...
Not sure if it's gamespy specific - I just read somewhere that PtW didn't allow multiple logins on the same IP. :( - I'll browse through the gamespy forums and see if I can find out whether it's Gamespy or PtW that blocks this.

Thanks for the comments and clarifications - keep em coming :goodjob:

Top Bottom