Version 1.8 Feedback

I would be happy to turn back to fun modding from RL once Civ5 out.. i think it will be more cool even modding experience with long life tme potential
Atm i am practising myself with job and some 2d digital art illustration with PainterX

My Inquisitors don't work. I was playing as the Bene Gesserit, with Mahdi as my state religion. One city became Imperial. I got Theocracy, built an Inquisitor, sent it to the city, and no button for an Inquisition mission ever appeared.

The AI seems not to suffer from this problem. I regularly see announcements about this or that city being purged of some religion.

Same issue with city bombardment. My ranged attack units have no visible option to reduce city defence, only to make the standard bombardment for damage to units. The AI has used it on me, however.

One question: is the whole stack attack feature from DCM supposed to work in this mod? (Obviously, if it is, I haven't seen it working either. Reading the documentation left me a little unclear on which parts of DCM were in effect, however.)

My Inquisitors don't work. I was playing as the Bene Gesserit, with Mahdi as my state religion. One city became Imperial. I got Theocracy, built an Inquisitor, sent it to the city, and no button for an Inquisition mission ever appeared.

The Inquisitor at present purges all non-state religion from a city, but the city must have the state religion present for this option to be available. If your city had only Imperial and no other religion present then the inquisition button would not be available.

Should we change this? I think this restriction might be making Inquisitors far less useful.

Same issue with city bombardment. My ranged attack units have no visible option to reduce city defence, only to make the standard bombardment for damage to units. The AI has used it on me, however.

The regular bombard button still appears for me, and allows me to reduce defences. Can you be more specific about the scenario? Reduce defences only appears if the city has defences to reduce i.e. there is a +X% shown over the city.

My plan for Siege Units is to remove Ranged Bombardment completely from the mod as the AI doesn't use it effectively, and prevent Siege Units from doing complete kills and city conquest (unless you have a heavily promoted Assault Cannon).

One question: is the whole stack attack feature from DCM supposed to work in this mod? (Obviously, if it is, I haven't seen it working either. Reading the documentation left me a little unclear on which parts of DCM were in effect, however.)

Stack attack from DCM is not switched on in Dune Wars. Probably part of the finalising the mod should be making things like this clear in the documentation.

If it would be useful, I was planning, when I get some time, to write up a comprehensive list of bug fixes and design changes that I think would get this mod to a "reasonably complete" version. There's a lot of good stuff in the bug thread and this thread.

I am working on a 1.9 Beta version of the mod which will have a pretty long list of changes. Here's a non-exhaustive summary:

Already Done:

+ Improved Air Interception modcomp

+ Wildfire spread mechanic for the Mahdi and Technocracy religions. Cities will adopt with a certain probability on discovery of the religion. With the free missionaries given at Qizarate this means that you can see all 7 religions present in the late game.

+ Monestary building (+1 culture, +10% culture, +10% science, 1 priest slot) and Razzia Command world wonder (+100% Enemy War Weariness) added to Fanaticism tech.

+ Mahdi Zealot requires only Mahdi religion in the city rather than the Temple of the Mahdi building. The Temple is still required for the later Mahdi Mujahid.

+ Various tech tree adjustments and rationalisations. Removed Jihad and reworked things a bit so that Mentats can come earlier in the game. Divine Mandate now gives the Mahdi religion and is an OR requirement for Law of Arrakis (to make is less dead-endy).

+ Abomination (Insane) Trait for Alia

+ Differences in religion have a more profound affect on diplomatic relations leading to more wars. (This has been capped at a very low level previously.)

+ Religious trait now doubles passive religion spread rate

To Do:

+ New implementation for Mentats since I don't think we have really captured the theme yet - still working out the finer details, but the rough plan is to have one Mentat per civ with various abilities that can be built over time. The basis for the new design is an expanded version of the CityBonus promotions from Fall Further. Mentat influence will be able to extend to multiple cities, the range of influence being increased by promotions. Twisted Mentats will have a promotion set that is focused on suppressing and corrupting opposition cities. Obviously, the AI will have to be taught to use these, but I'd like to have a go at doing that.

+ Faction unique espionage units

+ Health redesign.

+ Tleilaxu plague fix and reworked Axlotl tanks.

+ Fix no-ships

+ Fix Slave and Worker movement

+ Fix BG Instructress

+ Replace Financial with a more trade focused Mercantile trait. Review other traits, in particular, which buildings are built quicker with each.

+ A barbarian Waterstealer unit that actually steals water.

+ Bigger sandstorms (with hoverover text)

+ Probably will rename the Technocracy religion to Thinking Machines to make it clearer what it is about and then strengthen its gameplay features.

+ Remove ranged bombardment and tweak siege units where necessary.

+ Offworld trade good tweaks.

+ Have civilizations decide at the beginning of each game whether they are going to pursue Arrakis Paradise or Arrakis Spice for that game. Give each leader a pro-Spice probability to control this. This is the only way we can have civs other than the Fremen pursue terraforming sometimes.

+ Possible Fremen Sietch improvement to be built on Caves - something like +1 water, +1 hammer, +1 commerce, +1 population at nearest city (no net water cost), very long build time.

There's other stuff on the list including art tweaks and improvements, but this is most of the gameplay stuff. If you have any other requests for 1.9 then now is the time to register them.

Overall, the goal is to take a large step towards the completion of the mod. Once 1.9 is done, I'd envision a few 1.9.x patches to fix bugs, refine balance, and add new art and pedia content, then 2.0 would be the final Dune Wars probably towards the end of the year.

Sounds awesome.

+ Mahdi Zealot requires only Mahdi religion in the city rather than the Temple of the Mahdi building. The Temple is still required for the later Mahdi Mujahid.
Can we make it also require Mahdi state religion?

+ Religious trait now doubles passive religion spread rate
Not sure this is a great idea. Imperial already has a very high spread rate (~1.5). If a Religious leader founds Imperial, they will have a very easy religious victory.
Also, design intent was that the Religious trait boosts the actual religions (Mahdi, Shai-Hulad, Qizarate) whereas Political boosts Imperial and CHOAM.

+ Have civilizations decide at the beginning of each game whether they are going to pursue Arrakis Paradise or Arrakis Spice for that game. Give each leader a pro-Spice probability to control this. This is the only way we can have civs other than the Fremen pursue terraforming sometimes.
This is a good idea. (Though, Atreides do it too atm).
However, I think we should still have some AIs (Corrino, Harkonnen) always be pro-Spice, and we should have on average more factions pursuing spice than paradise.
Would this rule out civic changes entirely? We want to rule out voluntary switches (because this has the permanent effect of destroying buildings and existing terraforming) but it might be nice to still be able to demand that a faction chance its ways if you vassalize them.

+ Faction unique espionage units
And missions?

Overall, the goal is to take a large step towards the completion of the mod. Once 1.9 is done, I'd envision a few 1.9.x patches to fix bugs, refine balance, and add new art and pedia content, then 2.0 would be the final Dune Wars probably towards the end of the year.
Very sensible.
We can see how aircraft feel with the interception modcomp, and then make a decision on rebalancing them.

The Inquisitor at present purges all non-state religion from a city, but the city must have the state religion present for this option to be available. If your city had only Imperial and no other religion present then the inquisition button would not be available.

Should we change this? I think this restriction might be making Inquisitors far less useful.

Ahh! That would explain it. The city was only Imperial. For whatever reason, in the three games I have played, my cities have never gotten multiple religions.

Well, that does restrict the Inquisitor, but, on the other hand, it might be rather difficult, realistically, to conduct a proper Inquisition in a city with no support or interest in the state religion whatever. Perhaps, if this restriction were to be lifted, there should be some risk a poor reaction, ranging from mass unhappiness, reduction of city size (refugees flee persecution) or actual rebellion.

Given that, for most of the religions, I can send in a priest unit, add the state religion, and then conduct the Inquisition, I don't think that is too restrictive the way it is. The added effort involved seem realistic. I just have the misfortune to favour a religion that seems to have no priest units. (Right? Or have I missed those, as I seem to have missed these other details?)

The lack of Mahdi priests does seem a little restrictive, at least for the Bene Gesserit, and here is my rationale: All the religions beliefs on Arrakis seem to have been either created out of, or greatly influenced and warped by the Missionaria Protectiva. Playing with peoples' myths and metaphors is one of the main features of the Bene Gesserit. It seems like getting the people to believe that some particular person is the Chosen One wouldn't be too hard for them.

The regular bombard button still appears for me, and allows me to reduce defences. Can you be more specific about the scenario? Reduce defences only appears if the city has defences to reduce i.e. there is a +X% shown over the city.

Hmmn. That may explain it. I originally noticed that the Maula Mortar had no ranged bombard, though the text says it does. But, it didn't seem to possess any such capability in the XML, and when I tested other artillery, I did it with World Builder, and didn't think to fortify my barbarian test dummy units in their city, so I will have to check that again.

So, yes, I have a button, it just didn't give me a defence reduction option, and that was probably because there was no bonus to reduce. Given that it works for you, and for the AI in my game, I suspect that must have been the problem.

My plan for Siege Units is to remove Ranged Bombardment completely from the mod as the AI doesn't use it effectively, and prevent Siege Units from doing complete kills and city conquest (unless you have a heavily promoted Assault Cannon).

Personally, I like having Ranged Bombardment a great deal. The AI uses it (though only at one hex range) all the time when I play. Perhaps removing all two square range from units, and simply making the heavier, later units more effective in bombardment would solve that.

The main reason I favour it is realism. Historically, and up to the present day, artillery, at least since the invention of telegraphs, have tended to fire from outside enemy LOS, and suffer relatively light casualties compared to direct combat units like tanks and infantry. The only way real world artillery units take losses is either counterbattery fire from enemy guns (Ranged Bombardment), air attack, or being overrun by enemy combat elements (being left unprotected in a square and being attacked.)

The real world equivalent of actually making a regular attack with your artillery unit in the game would be firing direct fire over open sights. That only ever happens in desperate situations, never deliberately. It is totally against everybody's artillery doctrine, and has been for a long time. I don't think the differences in Dune would be likely to change that, nor do the appearances of artillery in the book, such as when Baron Harkonnen uses them against the Atreides, suggest that they have.

On the other hand, perhaps troops equipped with shields, whether units like Shield Fighter, or or units with Shield promotions should be made immune to such bombardment. The first book strongly suggests that artillery had become unused by the time of the attack on House Atreides, precisely because shields protected those in them from explosive projectiles.

It actually leads one to question how well Ornithopters would operate against shield-equipped troops either, given that ranged weapons and explosive ordinance would be their only means of attack. Perhaps personal shields can be overwhelmed by massive force from powerful explosions, or perhaps simply being flung through the air by the explosive force, even while shielded, would be sufficient to cause casualties, but it still suggests that such weapons would be far less effective against soldiers so equipped.

Stack attack from DCM is not switched on in Dune Wars. Probably part of the finalising the mod should be making things like this clear in the documentation.

I take it that is coded in the SDK? I tried turning it in in GameInfosAlt.xml, as I was not entirely clear from the documentation whether that was still ineffective in 1.8.

Anyway, I am happy to know that the problems seem to be my oversights, rather than the mod. It really is a beautiful mod.

I really like the new Botanical Testing Stations in 1.8.01.

I would suggest that if it were possible, the Bene Gesserit be given espionage units earlier, or even to begin with, and more ability to diplomatically influence the Great Houses and the Fremen (at least those not led by Paul.) They have managed to make themselves pretty much omnipresent in Dune society. The Fremen hold them in religious awe, and they are so deeply intertwined in political marriages and noble bloodlines that the Emperor's children were all born by one, at least one Imperial princess is one, and that pattern seems common in other houses, given Paul's heritage. It seems like it should be a lot easier for them to find out everybody's secrets and manipulate them from the very start, even, and maybe even especially, if some catastrophe cut everyone off from the Guild. Obviously, doing that without upsetting play balance would be a delicate thing, but I think it would capture their theme and abilities better.

Also, some sort of improved library unit that adds to perhaps, culture and espionage as well as science for the BG? The books imply that they were one of, if not the most, extensive historical chroniclers in the Dune universe, as illustrated by Irulan's mania for writing down everything Paul ever said, as well as the repeated references to the main BG Archives, and that historical analysis figured prominently in their training and operational planning. Some kind of unique library (or bonus to existing libraries) that helped them do such would be a nice bit of flavour.

I really like where you are going with the whole stillsuit/thumper/sandrider thing in 1,8.01. Giving the Fremen more operational mobility in the desert, while inhibiting everyone elses' is essential to capturing the setting, and allowing them to have the advantages they seem to over Great House forces on Arrakis. Military history would suggest that it was this, rather than pure combat ability which would have given the Fremen the ability to defeat Sardaukar. (Despite Fremen propoganda to the contrary in the books!)

You plans for Mentats in 1.9+ sounds very promising as well. Things like city promotions seem like an excellent way to handle them, given their analytical functions.

Lasgun/shield interactions: It would be interesting to have a possible espionage mission involving pointing a lasgun, attached to a mechanical timer, at someone's city shield, to cause a nuclear reaction. With suitably awful diplomatic consequences if caught, of course.

Yes, we should change this. For example, the player might want to purge Imperial from their city in order to allow Mahdi to spread there.

This explains a lot.

Inquisitor should be able to work as long as there is any non-state religion present.

The lack of Mahdi priests does seem a little restrictive
The design goal for the religions is for the religions to be distinct. Mahdi is made distinct by having it spread only through conquest; its a warmonger religion.
If it had missionaries, it would be just like the others.

he Missionaria Protectiva. Playing with peoples' myths and metaphors is one of the main features of the Bene Gesserit.
My suggestion for this is to have a Missionaria Protectiva UB for Bene Gesserit, that gives some espionage points.
Maybe this should be a monument replacement? Same as monument, but also gives +1 EP (or +2 EP).

Personally, I like having Ranged Bombardment a great deal. The AI uses it (though only at one hex range) all the time when I play. Perhaps removing all two square range from units, and simply making the heavier, later units more effective in bombardment would solve that.
I find that the AI is very poor at using this ability. I support reverting siege units to be more like those in vanilla, which the AI understands.
Collateral damage and city bombardment.

The main reason I favour it is realism.
.... in a mod about Dune?
"Realism" doesn't really work well in a system with shields. We have to have something that works with civ-style gameplay.
I toyed with some different ways of modelling shields, but none worked well in the end.

Military history would suggest that it was this, rather than pure combat ability which would have given the Fremen the ability to defeat Sardaukar
Not quite... Fremen women and children basically destroyed the Fremen raid on the palmeries.
In the books, they really are just Better. Not very balanced though.

It would be interesting to have a possible espionage mission involving pointing a lasgun, attached to a mechanical timer, at someone's city shield, to cause a nuclear reaction
I don't think that city-nuking is really possible in the espionage code, nor would it be very balanced.
There's just no good way to model lasgun/shield interaction. About the only place it shows us is that lasgun units get a bonus vs melee, because the melee guys turn their shields off.

The design goal for the religions is for the religions to be distinct. Mahdi is made distinct by having it spread only through conquest; its a warmonger religion.
If it had missionaries, it would be just like the others.

Yes and no. Mahdi seems to be some what of a spontaneous folk movement, and so I understand why there is no priest unit. Except that the BG created most of the myths that made it, one of the things they spend their time doing. I think they should be able to spread it, even if other civs cannot. Making up and spreading superstition and religion is their main hobby.

.... in a mod about Dune?
"Realism" doesn't really work well in a system with shields. We have to have something that works with civ-style gameplay.
I toyed with some different ways of modelling shields, but none worked well in the end.

Anything, can be interpreted with realism in mind, including science fiction. I think that Frank Herbert meant for his books to be as "realistic" as possible, given that he was writing about technologies and techniques that had not yet been developed, and therefor might or might not ever exist.

Shields might work some day, or they might not. They are not yet unrealistic, given that we don't know about their relative possibility.

But perhaps the world realism is misleading. "Consistency" might be better. For science fiction to be 'realistic' it must be internally consistent.

Anyway, I don't think what I am suggesting about shields requires any complicated game mechanisms. I merely suggest that shielded units should be given bonuses and/or immunity vs. units that rely entirely on weapons those shields easily defeat, such as air units.

As it stands, the current balance of melee vs. guards seems to reflect Dune "realism" quite well. I merely question whether ornithopters deserve a +melee bonus, and whether all shield promotions, and innately shield-equipped units shouldn't have more protection and bonuses vs. artillery and air.

Not quite... Fremen women and children basically destroyed the Fremen raid on the palmeries.
In the books, they really are just Better. Not very balanced though.

That is one way to interpret it, and I suppose many Dune fans would choose to think of it that way. However, given how much the books focus on belief, perception, the interpretation and reinterpretation of history, I don't think it is contrary to the spirit of the books to suggest that it is only Fremen heroic myth that makes all Fremen better than Sardaukar, and that in actuality, numerical superiority, guerrilla warfare and a variety of operational factors operating in favour of the Fremen allowed them their victory.

Acknowledging beforehand that you may simply choose the first interpretation of the novels, where the Fremen are just Better, and therefore dismiss the following, let me illustrate my point from human history, something I am sure Herbert would approve of:

American history popularly likes to claim that in America's Revolutionary War, the American/Rebel army was just Better that the British/Hessian forces in the same way, if a lesser degree than the situation in Dune. They like to undercount their own numbers, and exaggerate British-Hessian strength by not bothering to account for losses to sickness, previous battles, outpost and picket detachments, etc. They follow the usual practice of exaggerating enemy losses, and generally lacked the trained staff and accounting procedures to properly track their own, so they provide paltry and optimistic assessments. This all gets passed off as fact, repeated in reputable books, and taught in schools.

However, rigourous historical examination, including examination of first person accounts, shows that rebel forces almost always outnumbered the British, and that, when one checks strength and loss returns, and accounts of officers present, the British-German forces were causing more casualties per man than the Americans, and were actually a more effective fighting force, as one would have expected from their training.

Similarly, it is reasonable, and not contrary at all to the spirit the books were written in to suggest that the Fremen merely remember beating larger Sardaukar forces, in much the way Americans remember accomplishing similarly mythical events, and that actually, numerical superiority, greater ability to sustain themselves in the field, greater operational mobility due to adaptation to desert conditions lesser supply requirements and a lesser rate of non-combat casualties caused the Fremen triumph. Which is not to argue that the Fremen weren't ferocious, and much better fighters than other non-professional forces.

Historically, no informally trained tribal peoples, even very warlike ones, have ever been the equals, much less the betters, of well trained long service professionals with high esprit d'corps. The Zulu War of 1879 well illustrates this. The Ama Zulu were the most warlike and ferocious tribal society in southern Africa. Every male was a warrior, and they trained, in theory, from a young age. Yet, Zulu accounts of that war make it very clear that man for man, they were no match for British professionals in hand-to-hand combat which was something the Zulus specialized in, and only one of two equally important combat skills for the British. Zulus recall being almost universally defeated in one-on-one bayonet vs. spear fights, and recount that when they did win, it was almost always the result of getting a second man to take the British soldier from the rear.

By the same token, I suggest that perhaps the Fremen's environment gives them more innate talent for war than natives of Salusa Secundus, and therefore the very best and most experienced of Fremen warriors, like the Fedaykin, are better than Sardaukar, but that most Fremen are simply good enough to be able to stand against the Sardaukar without panicking and breaking, allowing them to stay in the fight long enough to win through their various operational advantages, but that that actually, warrior for warrior, the average Sardaukar would be better than the average Fremen.

As to the women and children thing, I think that is merely one more example of a continuing theme in Dune, one which does have some historical basis, that women are actually more ferocious fighters, and that, given the advantage of fighting in their own sietch, (a honeycomb of cave passages, and therefore a really great place to ambush people who didn't know the layout), they could overcome otherwise better-trained Sardaukar.

I think that Paul's boasts to the Sardaukar captain that his ordinary people were just Better was a propaganda ploy designed to raise his own force's morale and demoralize the enemy. Those Sardaukar were being flanked and surrounded, and in the scene actually shown, were outnumbered.

So, while you may prefer to say the Fremen are just Better, (neither if us can check with Herbert to "prove" our view) you might also consider the above interpretation as not being inconsistent with the Dune universe either. My interpretation has the added advantage that it allows for a more play balanced world, and therefor fits the current state of the mod.;) Just a thought.

I don't think that city-nuking is really possible in the espionage code, nor would it be very balanced.
There's just no good way to model lasgun/shield interaction. About the only place it shows us is that lasgun units get a bonus vs melee, because the melee guys turn their shields off.

I defer entirely to your judgment about what is possible with the espionage code. However, I don't think that making it balanced would be hard, if you could do it. Given the tenets of the Great Convention, everybody would be horrified if someone did something like that, and quite likely, all the Great Houses would band together to destroy them. Having all or most of the other factions declare war on you, and stay permanently at war if your spy was found out would balance things quite a bit, I think. That would come with the standard unhappiness penalty your people get for everyone thinking you are a villain, as when you defy the UN/Landsraad resolutions.

Regarding melee fighters turning off their shields: that is not what I saw happening in the books. Shield fighters used their shields. Rather, it was the lasgun troops who tried to avoid shooting at the shields, and therefore used their lasguns less, and with much more discretion, hence the whole close combat theme of war in Dune.

If I have a shield on, and some guy is pointing a lasgun at me, the obvious answer is just to rush him. He may shoot me, and die with me, and maybe both our units too, but likely he will just draw his kindjal and try to survive the encounter. So the advantage goes to the shielded troops. I would add that currently, I think the mod reflects this anyways. Melee troops are generally more effective.

A funny thought regarding ranged bombardment: the AI's inability to handle this is a realistic reflection of the Dune universe! In the Dune setting, artillery has almost entirely disappeared from the Great Houses' Orders of Battle, due to shields. Baron Harkonnen had to specially manufacture his artillery to surprise the Atreides. Therefore, most likely, artillery doctrine has been largely forgotten and most forces don't know how to use it properly. An ironic coincidence.

Anyway, carry on with the fine work gentlemen.:thumbsup:

Yes and no. Mahdi seems to be some what of a spontaneous folk movement, and so I understand why there is no priest unit. Except that the BG created most of the myths that made it, one of the things they spend their time doing. I think they should be able to spread it, even if other civs cannot. Making up and spreading superstition and religion is their main hobby.

I don't think this works well.
In-game, this is a militaristic religion, aimed thematically at Fremen or Atreides.
It should not have particular preference for BGs, and it should remain different from the existing religion types.

The BG-influenced native mythology is the Shai-Hulad religion.

Anyway, I don't think what I am suggesting about shields requires any complicated game mechanisms. I merely suggest that shielded units should be given bonuses and/or immunity vs. units that rely entirely on weapons those shields easily defeat, such as air units.
This would not be good for gameplay.
Melee units with swords should not be getting bonuses vs aircraft or tanks. This is what missile troopers are for.
In the mod, melee units are for city assault.

. I merely question whether ornithopters deserve a +melee bonus
Aircraft with ranged weapons vs melee weapons. Yes, this works fine.
Thopter aircraft would logically work better vs melee units than anything else. (Really, there's nothing stopping a guardsman unit from wearing a shield belt).

but that most Fremen are simply good enough to be able to stand against the Sardaukar without panicking and breaking
Civilian Fremen women and children in their camp defeat a large Sardaukar assault force.
No guerilla warfare here or ability to sustain in harsh circumstances, this is a flat-out fight.
These are not the experienced warriors who go out on raids.
Remember that the Fremen society (based on traditional Arabic mores) is very patriarchal; women are subservient (the defeated man's wife is semi-owned by his killer).

Those Sardaukar were being flanked and surrounded
? They were an assault force from carriers launching a surprise attack.
The Sardaukar themselves report to the Emperor that the only way they were able to escape at all was by using the thrusters on their transports as improvised flamethrowers.

Anyway, just my take from the books. You are of course absolutely entitled to your opinion, I just don't see any evidence for this view from the books.

My interpretation has the added advantage that it allows for a more play balanced world, and therefor fits the current state of the mod.
Yours is the interpretation we use in the mod because "Fremen are omgwtfpwnage" is a really bad basis for a balanced game design.

that is not what I saw happening in the books
In the books, no-one actually uses lasguns in combat, all combat is basically melee. The only artillery are used against caves (to seal the troops inside) rather than against troop formations.
Aircraft are for transportation rather than combat and there are no combat vehicles or suspensor tanks.
This isn't very much fun for a mod. So we had to use some license.

I would add that currently, I think the mod reflects this anyways. Melee troops are generally more effective.
Not with the high end guardsmen and melee, unless the melee are attacking a city.

Glad you like the mod. Intelligent comments such as yours are always welcome and appreciated.

I don't think this works well.
In-game, this is a militaristic religion, aimed thematically at Fremen or Atreides.
It should not have particular preference for BGs, and it should remain different from the existing religion types.

The BG-influenced native mythology is the Shai-Hulad religion.

Well, Ok. I think they have strongly influenced all of the actually religious religions, but then again, following my view, the BG would have probably planned for and co-opted Paul's whole movement, so I guess that's fair.

This would not be good for gameplay.
Melee units with swords should not be getting bonuses vs aircraft or tanks. This is what missile troopers are for.
In the mod, melee units are for city assault.

Aircraft with ranged weapons vs melee weapons. Yes, this works fine.
Thopter aircraft would logically work better vs melee units than anything else. (Really, there's nothing stopping a guardsman unit from wearing a shield belt).

Hmmn. I see your point. Melee units shouldn't be good at shooting down aircraft, only at not being hurt by them, and given combat mechanics, I guess there is not currently a good way to implement that.

Civilian Fremen women and children in their camp defeat a large Sardaukar assault force.
No guerilla warfare here or ability to sustain in harsh circumstances, this is a flat-out fight.
These are not the experienced warriors who go out on raids.
Remember that the Fremen society (based on traditional Arabic mores) is very patriarchal; women are subservient (the defeated man's wife is semi-owned by his killer).

? They were an assault force from carriers launching a surprise attack.
The Sardaukar themselves report to the Emperor that the only way they were able to escape at all was by using the thrusters on their transports as improvised flamethrowers.

I disagree on two points: one, the camp does offer them potential advantages as far as springing ambushes, and that is what I see occuring. The Sardaukar reference to escaping by suspensor craft and using their thrusters as flamethrowers implies that they were surrounded, and likely broken up into small units. Two, patriarchal cultures are not necessary against training their women to fight. Many more militant ones (as the Fremen are) encourage it. All nine of Muhammed's wives fought in the war that made Islam supreme in the Middle East, and many very Islamic nations like Iran train female combat units, especially as part of religiously or ideologically based volunteers like the Revolutionary Guards. Because they are doing "For God" of "For the Cause" or "to protect the Home", it doesn't threaten insecure male egos. Same thing across Central Asia. Tamil Tigers, the Viet Cong, etc.

In Feudal Japan, females of the samurai class were trained combatants, even though they were not expected to fight in the field, and even though they were basically slaves, by law.

The degree of militarization in the culture implies that women would have been trained to fight, even if culturally indoctrinated to be subordinate.

In the books, no-one actually uses lasguns in combat, all combat is basically melee. The only artillery are used against caves (to seal the troops inside) rather than against troop formations.
Aircraft are for transportation rather than combat and there are no combat vehicles or suspensor tanks.
This isn't very much fun for a mod. So we had to use some license.

Almost. I think there is some mention of armoured cars and such (can't remember if wheeled or suspensor) during either the initial Atreides deployment, or during the Harkonnen invasion, and there is definitely mention of one lightly armoured, armed suspensor vehicle ('car') the Sardaukar use to recon the Fremen position in the concluding battle of Dune, which the Fremen take out with a lasgun.

So they do exist in the books, it's just not clear how much of the OOB they make up.

Glad you like the mod. Intelligent comments such as yours are always welcome and appreciated.

I certainly do. I find it to be a better recreation of the Dune universe than vanilla CIV is of our own world, and rather more fun too.

Even if (Great Mother forbid), it never progressed past 1.8, or 1.8.01, I think it is the best CIV mod I have played. It inspired me to dust off and reinstall CIV 4, which had been laying dormant for many, many months. So thanks for breathing some new life into the game. I look forward to 1.9+

I am working on a 1.9 Beta version of the mod which will have a pretty long list of changes. Here's a non-exhaustive summary:

Wow! That is a huge list. Can I recommend a "1.9 beta" posted on the patches thread? In almost every major release I did, one or two errors which should have been obvious, are found just after the release. If you don't normally run civchecker, I can run that on the beta also to find any missing "TXT_KEY_..." entries.

In particular, the lack of "Sid's Tips" has been bothering me. It is also a very common complaint from reviewers here and on other sites, since it should be such a handy way to learn the mod. If you have made any changes to the DuneWarsText.txt file, could you please attach a zipfile here? I would like to run through it and fill in any useful text for these fields.

In particular, the lack of "Sid's Tips" has been bothering me. It is also a very common complaint from reviewers here and on other sites, since it should be such a handy way to learn the mod

Just to clarify: which ones are these? These are the load screen "help" messages right?
Like "Building harvesters on spice tiles increases income from your palace and any cities with spice silo buildings". Or "The Qizarate religion comes late, but it wipes away all over religions when spread to a city by a missionary."

I can work on these, adding a bunch for the various new mechanics.

No, those are "hints". We have a good number of hints, but more hints are welcome also. I was referring to the button in the options panel for game settings which is called "Sid's Tips". When you activate this, and then mouseover a unit which you are considering to build, you get an extra line at the bottom of the popup which shows the strategy text. Most experienced users turn this off, but it is a handy way to learn about the various units. This corresponds to the TXT_KEY_UNIT_<unitname>_STRATEGY field in file assets/xml/text/DuneWarsText.txt.

For example, the Sid's Tips for the soldier unit reads:

Build this combat unit for quick, early defense for your cities or as escorts for your defenseless Settlers. This unit is cheap to produce but weak, so you will want to train better units as soon as you are able.

But for the Fremen Raider, it reads:

Stub strategy for Fremen Raider

Several off-site reviewers have commented that this makes the mod look unfinished.

Please see this post for a spreadsheet which contains all the current text. The post is from April, so it may not be up to date. The sheet is helpful because by reading a few of the entries, you can get the "style" and write other entries in the same style. If you have time/interest, you can just put new text into the spreadsheet and I can blast it into the game files.

Ok, thanks, I will give it a go when I get some spare time (or need a procrastination device).

Hello to everyone, it is my first post on this forum. I have played Civ3 extensively, Civ4 I found unbearable without modding.
Enormous THANK YOU, Deliverator, and Ahriman and others preoccupied with development of it's mod. It's my childood (and never ending) fascination with Dune revisited, in such a profound and tender implementation of the book reality into this much-flawed Firaxis production. I am amazed.

It looks so in 1.8 that you are reaching the limits of what a game can offer, and having started to play the mod recently, and having grasped it, I only fear the future version 1.9 might be a litle over-exhausted. With all the admiration and awe, I humbly suggest:

+ Monestary building (+1 culture, +10% culture, +10% science, 1 priest slot) and Razzia Command world wonder (+100% Enemy War Weariness) added to Fanaticism tech.

Excuse me if that was already under discussion - what is this monastery for? Surely technological advance on Dune can't be based on a work conducted by priests? Is that more a development of thought and basic sciences? Mentat-school?
Besides, the introducution to the mod says there was a cataclysm that evened the scales, thus technological progress in this mod is actually more of rebuilding an infrastructure! If all the technological knowledge would be lost altogether with all the contact with outside worlds for thousands of years (timespan of a game-read further).. naah, it doesn't keep together!

+ Differences in religion have a more profound affect on diplomatic relations leading to more wars. (This has been capped at a very low level previously.)
I am really not sure about it.. Aren't politics in Dune absolutely pragmatic, based on a leader's current agenda and the necessity to lavirate in the meanders of the stream just not to fall behind and face utter destruction..? This way, for most leaders religion is just a mean, not an end. How should we expect fanaticism from Ecaz or Bene Gesserit? And Family Harkonnen is not characterised by Zeal, much more gluttony.

In fact I have already been amazed by the extent in which religion affected the politics so far. Maybe a stress should really be put on much more controlled (and elastic!) arrangements towards mutual struggle - Arrakis future, military pacts, political and economical blocks? I think they could antagonise those excluded pretty fine? Let's maintain religion for the sake of unique strategies and perks - much more like civics. It's been done wonderfully so far! Don't turn it to age of crusades with nine views involved!
Philosophy profoundly defines Houses in Dune universe but ultimately they are means of controlling a family, a nation and not external relations? And eventually it is not a world we all live in but a playground of tough ecnomical and political competition! Only followers od Arrakis Paradise have completely different view at the business, vividly contrary to everyone else's.

Maybe there are too much POSITIVE modifyiers like the civics that AI's all have the same for the better of the game? The 2nd game I started recently on Noble with Aggressive AI on (just looking around you know) I am Goya Solidar and everyone is just getting on very well with everyone else except me! They relations vary from +5 to +11 while they hate me between +2 and -6. My crimes are having Zensufism, choosing my own civics (EVERYONE's running on slavery and feudalism!), Arrakis spice (so long Fremen and Atreides..) and, I DON'T KNOW WHY - everyone's got negative first impression with me but sometimes up to +3 with each other! And it doesn't decay with time!

Btw It's even more ridiculous with that time span of thousands of years in game. And what for? It feels more like there is no more than a year passing form turn to turn.. or much less in fact. We're talking extremely modern era! Rapid development of technology and construction shouldn't be so strange. Again that kind of separation from outside world wouldn't be possible for such a long time??

And what would they terraform for? Conquest is for spice, those wishing to defy it do have the whole universe against them! If we wish for random personalities.. then well, let's give that solution to this kind of game customisation.

Greetings, and sorry for a bit messy expression of thoughts.

Enormous THANK YOU, Deliverator, and Ahriman and others preoccupied with development of it's mod.
David deserves more credit than me. I post a lot, but he does actual codework.

Thanks very much though for the kind words, and the feedback.
And welcome to CFC!

Surely technological advance on Dune can't be based on a work conducted by priests? Is that more a development of thought and basic sciences? Mentat-school?
I think Bene Gesserit schools, Cogitators, philosophers and various others are involved in knowledge generation, particularly when many of the "techs" are social or spiritual advancements.

It is definitely in Dune canon that elite spiritual types thinking great thoughts contribute to the advancement of mankind.

I am really not sure about it.. Aren't politics in Dune absolutely pragmatic, based on a leader's current agenda and the necessity to lavirate in the meanders of the stream just not to fall behind and face utter destruction..?
Yes and no.
And "religion" in the Dunewars mod includes different political philosophies, from the xenophobic isolationist Tleilaxu, to support for the "old order" Imperium, to the jihadi Mahdi fanatics, to the ponderous weight of the Qizarate priesthood - and the Technocratic dabbling with Thinking Machines violating the Butlerian strictures.

I have no feeling either way on how big the religious diplomacy modifiers should be - and you make a reasonable case. I'd be inclined to keep them capped at a moderate level. I think following Arrakis Spice vs Paradise should have a far bigger impact than whether you're Imperial or CHOAM.

I think if we want more war (and I'm not sure that's needed, I observe plenty of war on the high difficulty levels), it would be better to change the aggression parameter values in the Leaderhead AIs rather than making more diplomatic penalties (which might make resource trade, defensive pacts and so forth too difficult).

I am Goya Solidar and everyone is just getting on very well with everyone else except me
THat's partly intended. Everyone hates the Tleilaxu....

(EVERYONE's running on slavery and feudalism!)
In the latest build, slavery should be Harkonnen only.
Running the same civics (other than Paradise/Spice) shouldn't give any benefits except when its the favorite civic, so those shouldn't be driving anything.

Btw It's even more ridiculous with that time span of thousands of years in game
I'd ignore the year values. I'm not sure where to change them - if we could change them, I'd certainly make it 1 year per turn.
But years have no real meaning when we're not mapping to real human history, a turn counter alone would be sufficient.

And what would they terraform for? Conquest is for spice, those wishing to defy it do have the whole universe against them!
Clearly Fremen would want Paradise, and there is a strong case for Atreides. I'd also make a reasonable case for Tleilaxu. In the (non-canon) Prequels, it is the Tleilaxu who are working on synthetic spice. If they developed synthetic spice, then destroying the natural source would give them a monopoly.
Limiting spice production on Arrakis would also have favor with any House that had huge offworld stockpiles.

I agree that Corrino and Bene Gesserit should also be pro-Spice. Dunno about the others.

I think that most of the time, most players should still be Spice rather than Paradise; probably a 2:1 split. But Paradise is very lonely if its only 1-2 players trying to achieve it, so there are gameplay reasons to have at least some of the AIs have a chance of adopting it.

Thank you for correction. I have forgotten a lot from the a story already. We see eye to eye with each other now :)
Good point with Semuta. I wonder what would Guild have to say about all that? ;))

Meanwhile i halved <iBasePeaceWeight> of every leader in my Noble game - hope that helps at all! :) Maybe I should aim at MaxWarRand and such, but It's some delicate work now, isn't it.

I also wonder why is none of Atreides leaders a military leader atm? Duke Leto seems like a Protective kind of guy to me. I understand why the others are not - they have conducted the greatest wars of all time but that was later and motivated by universal peace and a future of what man is itself. Yeah, I think that was that.

In particular, the lack of "Sid's Tips" has been bothering me. It is also a very common complaint from reviewers here and on other sites, since it should be such a handy way to learn the mod. If you have made any changes to the DuneWarsText.txt file, could you please attach a zipfile here? I would like to run through it and fill in any useful text for these fields.

Just wanted to add: I have done ~150 of these (nearly all the buildings/wonders, some techs and units), but there are still many left to go.

Are you guys getting mails too from corporations which want to host your file or include it with some magazine CD?

No. Or at least I am not. In the article, they gave a bit.ly short link which leads to our moddb account. Deliverator owns that, maybe he is getting some mails.

Top Bottom