Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION V > Civ5 - General Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 27, 2010, 02:52 PM   #281
The_Coyote
Emperor
 
The_Coyote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,367
[sarcasm]
We live in funny times. You have to justify why you donīt have or want internet at home (my favourite assumption so far - only a bit exaggerated: "hey, you donīt have internet. But why should someone care about you, in any case you must be too poor to buy the game). And the most funny thing, playing offline becomes a feature.

10 - 15 years ago, playing online was a feature of games, now after almost every big title has this feature, the game companies invented a new feature to be sold to the customer: "the ability to still play offline"
[/sarcasm]

Now we have only one problem, none of the poor guys without access to the net (but money for civ5) can complain here, so the lack of them in this discussion shouldnīt be that big wonder for everybody. (and without market survey i will make no guess how many they are)
__________________
and be never sure what it will be today ...

Last edited by The_Coyote; May 27, 2010 at 02:59 PM.
The_Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 03:14 PM   #282
bigdog5994
Lady Day
 
bigdog5994's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 3,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Xiong View Post
You only need to have access ONCE to activate the game. After that you do not need to have internet access to play--you can play in offline mode.

In installed Civ4 via steam and I can tell you that it's my favorite game to play when I'm on an airplane...
so what about people that cant connect?
__________________
Billie Holiday
"A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week."
-George S. Patton
bigdog5994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 03:17 PM   #283
Chalks
The blue pieces
 
Chalks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog5994 View Post
so what about people that cant connect?
You mean people without phone lines?
Chalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 03:20 PM   #284
bigdog5994
Lady Day
 
bigdog5994's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 3,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalks View Post
You mean people without phone lines?
people without internet access
__________________
Billie Holiday
"A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week."
-George S. Patton
bigdog5994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 03:24 PM   #285
Chalks
The blue pieces
 
Chalks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog5994 View Post
people without internet access
Or phone lines, because you can activate via a dial up connection.
Chalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 03:35 PM   #286
Thyrwyn
Guardian at the Gate
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 1,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willem View Post
Sorry, but Ori has shown that this isn't true. Even if you play in offline mode with no internet connection it will pester you to connect.
That is not what Ori said - he said it pestered him for permission to get through his firewall (because he hadn't given it the permission to do so).

In my experience, with no active internet connection and steam in offline mode. Steam doesn't "pester" me at all.
__________________
I play King Level, Huge Maps, Marathon Speed

"We are creatures of the twilight. But it is out of our race and lineage that minds will spring, that will reach back to us in our littleness to know us better than we know ourselves, and that will reach forward fearlessly to comprehend this future that defeats our eyes." -- H. G. Wells, 1902
Thyrwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 03:39 PM   #287
bigdog5994
Lady Day
 
bigdog5994's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 3,960
i have a friend who is stationed over in Iraq and internet connection even dial up is spotty at best so on a good day he can connect to the internet long enough to install a game but why should he have to put up with this BS in the first place
__________________
Billie Holiday
"A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week."
-George S. Patton
bigdog5994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 03:44 PM   #288
Chalks
The blue pieces
 
Chalks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog5994 View Post
i have a friend who is stationed over in Iraq and internet connection even dial up is spotty at best so on a good day he can connect to the internet long enough to install a game but why should he have to put up with this BS in the first place
Do you mean install or activate? Because activating a game requires extremely little internet access. No more than viewing a webpage - if you can use the dial up access at all then it should be enough to activate.
Chalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 03:45 PM   #289
bigdog5994
Lady Day
 
bigdog5994's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 3,960
have you ever installed a game without Steam before?
__________________
Billie Holiday
"A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week."
-George S. Patton
bigdog5994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 04:00 PM   #290
nerd
Chieftain
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Xiong View Post
You only need to have access ONCE to activate the game. After that you do not need to have internet access to play--you can play in offline mode.

In installed Civ4 via steam and I can tell you that it's my favorite game to play when I'm on an airplane...
This is patently false, at least for the majority of "internet activation" games, and probably true for CiV, as they all are requiring a large (debate as to how large) update on registration, and ALL patches and updates are required to be done from the gaming computer. I am waiting for definite word on this from Greg or Elizabeth, but all (to my knowledge)other "internet activation" games are this way.
Regardless, this was a reply to the ludicrous comment about those without dedicated 24/7 internet.
Civ4 is not inherently tied to any internet registration or server, in fact they recently took even cd check out.
nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 04:04 PM   #291
mjs0
The 4th X
 
mjs0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalks View Post
Do you mean install or activate? Because activating a game requires extremely little internet access. No more than viewing a webpage - if you can use the dial up access at all then it should be enough to activate.
To be fair, this is somewhat understating the situation...

What you say is true if the customer has physical media to install from and activation is all that is required. However, it is not unusual for products to have sizable patches available on day 0 and if the product being installed has any sort of patch available then Steam will insist on installing that patch before first use.

Even a modest size patch, 50Mb say, will be, at the very least, a big inconvenience to somebody with only a dial-up connection. Of course this also doesn't take into account any necessary updates to the Steam Client.

Not as important but also worth highlighting is the fact that somebody with dial-up internet is effectively denied the ability to play as Babylon because buying and downloading the deluxe edition is not an option for them.
__________________
The 4Xs...Explore...Expand...Exploit...Ex-ter-min-ate!
mjs0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 04:25 PM   #292
eireksten
Protective/Organized
 
eireksten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog5994 View Post
but why should he have to put up with this BS in the first place
Because he wants to play Civ5, I assume? If that's not the reason, I suggest he don't buy the game...
eireksten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 04:32 PM   #293
Senethro
Overlord
 
Senethro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The cutest of cephalopods
Posts: 2,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willem View Post
Sorry, but Ori has shown that this isn't true. Even if you play in offline mode with no internet connection it will pester you to connect.
This is incorrect. No pestering involved. It just does it.

Offline mode is for use offline, it still tests for a connection to a Steam server on startup because thats part of Steams functionality.
Senethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 05:41 PM   #294
Xiao Xiong
Prince
 
Xiao Xiong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs0 View Post
However, it is not unusual for products to have sizable patches available on day 0 and if the product being installed has any sort of patch available then Steam will insist on installing that patch before first use.
Which is better than the alternative: You install a buggy, low quality game on day 0 and have a horrible experience. After suffering in agony and banging your head in frustration you notice the sizable patch on the developer's website and start the same lengthy download that Steam would have forced, and then waste time figuring out how to apply the patch.

Personally I feel Steam is doing me a service in this case, I would much rather wait for the update and have a quality experience then wind up in the hospital bleeding from the forehead from having banged my head against the wall in frustration over game bugs.

If you insist on buying a DVD and you only have a dial-up connection there is really NO solution for you other than to wait until the 2nd batch of DVD's ship and you can get a copy of the game that does not require a big download, no matter whether it be through steam or manually downloaded off a website.

Note that yes you can turn updates off in steam...
__________________
-XX

Last edited by Xiao Xiong; May 27, 2010 at 05:45 PM.
Xiao Xiong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 05:45 PM   #295
frekk
Scourge of St. Lawrence
 
frekk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 3,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalks View Post
Or phone lines, because you can activate via a dial up connection.
Most people don't have dialup modems anymore.
frekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 06:20 PM   #296
nerd
Chieftain
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 56
and those that do

Quote:
Originally Posted by frekk View Post
Most people don't have dialup modems anymore.
and those that do are of no consequence......yep, thats right.......who cares....they aren't you, are they....so they can just be ignored.
I wonder...just how many of us that play civ this group covers? Oh well, it seems we are invisible so we will never know.
nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 06:24 PM   #297
Xiao Xiong
Prince
 
Xiao Xiong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd View Post
and those that do are of no consequence......yep, thats right.......who cares....they aren't you, are they....so they can just be ignored.
I wonder...just how many of us that play civ this group covers? Oh well, it seems we are invisible so we will never know.
I bet if you surveyed people who pay for games you would find that very few of them are dialup users, meanwhile, I bet you will find an enormous number of people who randomly browse the steam store and impluse buy anything that looks fun.
__________________
-XX
Xiao Xiong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 06:26 PM   #298
Xiao Xiong
Prince
 
Xiao Xiong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog5994 View Post
people without internet access
Do people like that REALLY buy PC games?

I bet most of them don't even have a computer and if they play games at all only on a Wii.
__________________
-XX
Xiao Xiong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 06:46 PM   #299
nerd
Chieftain
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 56
dial-up

http://www.marketingvox.com/55-of-us...dialup-039691/
55% of US Adults Have Home Broadband, 10% Use Dialup - MarketingVOX
This survey also says that the number for home users rises to 15% in the US for dial-up.

You would have us believe that those millions of people don't own computers? and if they do, won't buy PC games.
What do they hook up to that dial-up connection if they don't own computers?

I really am offended by this attitude that anyone who doesn't have 24/7 highspeed internet is too stupid to play civ.

Last edited by nerd; May 27, 2010 at 06:53 PM. Reason: underline failed,et al.
nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 07:05 PM   #300
Xiao Xiong
Prince
 
Xiao Xiong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 445
It was the people without internet that I said probably don't even have computers. And yes, I expect dial-up users are not a huge market for games.
__________________
-XX
Xiao Xiong is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Go Back Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION V > Civ5 - General Discussions > Civ 5/Steam:Offline Mode Question

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Urgent civ 4/BTS/Steam question lordofthemark Civ4 - General Discussions 4 May 12, 2010 12:03 PM
Question about Steam MrHan Civ5 - General Discussions 51 May 10, 2010 11:53 PM
Question RE: Steam HadesScorn Civ4 - Fall from Heaven 12 May 24, 2009 08:56 AM
Steam question hewopepweow Civ4 - General Discussions 1 Jul 20, 2007 02:39 PM
Civ Fanatics keeps going offline? Lozzy_Ozzy Site Feedback 24 Jul 11, 2005 04:46 AM


Advertisement

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
This site is copyright Đ Civilization Fanatics' Center.
Support CFC: Amazon.com | Amazon UK | Amazon DE | Amazon CA | Amazon FR