PTW Locale

lietkynes

Hello sword !
hi all,
i live in Italy. as soon as civ3 was available on US Amazon i bought it. i couldnt wait for the italian version, you know :)

now PTW is out, but amazon.com doesnt ship the game outside USA.
amazon.co.uk does, so my question is: can i install UK PTW over US Civ3 ??

i'm assuming that Italian PTW (when available) wont work with US Civ3 but again i'm not sure about that.

I think you can - the main problems with mixing versions are caused by the fact that all folders, units, etc. are translated, which means that if English PtW had to find a unit from the Original Civ3, it would be looking for units with the english names but all the original units would be using italian names, so the game produces an error.

So I think it seems rather likely that Italian PtW won't work with US Civ3 - unless Infogrames do something to help you change folder names easily.

However this problem shouldn't exist with the English vs. American versions - I doubt anything is changed between them, but to be 100% sure, you could always ask Infogrames.

You can always change folder names in Windows. :) Just go to the directory, and double click slowly on the folder you want to change. Or... right click and rename.

I didn't want to suggest that directly :)

But that would probably solve it ;)

The only problem with renaming folders names is the chance that you might miss one or two or three and not realize where your error was.

Good luck to you lietkynes! I hope you can get things worked out.

Well, actually i'm thinking about buying the uk version for 3 reasons:
1) it is available NOW
2) has more chance of working
3) uk/us civ get patches months before italian.
i'm not enthusiatic at the idea of playing with renaming files and such. it just doesnt sound "reliable" in the long term

Couldn't you just edit pedicons.txt and translate all the unit names in there? That would be easier than renaming a bunch of folders I think. :D

just been to amazon and there now giving 6th december as shipping date for uk PTW.... anyone know if this is correct

Top Bottom