Video Games Live Special on PBS: Baba Yetu

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
The Video Games Live orchestra and choir perform the theme from "Civilization IV" in this excerpt from the new "Video Games Live" PBS special. VGL, coming to TV for the first time in summer 2010 on PBS, is an immersive concert event featuring music from the biggest video games of all time. Filmed in New Orleans with the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra and choir, watch as top musicians from around the world perform along with exclusive video footage and music arrangements, synchronized lighting, solo performers, guitarists, percussionists, live action and unique interactive segments to create an explosive one-of-a-kind entertainment experience.

The PBS special -- consisting of never before televised live musical performances from the Mario, Zelda, Sonic, Halo, Warcraft, Final Fantasy, Castlevania, God of War, Civilization, Chrono Cross, StarCraft and Guitar Hero franchises, and a musical journey through classic gaming -- premieres July 31, 2010 and airs throughout August on PBS stations (check your local listings at http://pbs.org/tvschedules ).

Link to video.

that was beautiful :D

Impressive there's now such a thing as a Video Games Live Orchestra!

I remember as a kid I had a tape recording of my favourite game themes (Monkey Island I, Loom, Leisure Suit Larry and the lot) that I carried with me on vacation, one of my favourite tapes! Two decades later, I still get the shivers by game music :)

Can we see the rest of these music videos online?

What a beautiful and perfectly fitting song.

I remember when I first installed Civ IV and Baba Yetu started up with that gorgeous view of the Middle East / Mediterranean. And then the sun sets and the lights come on...

It was so powerful, and it hasn't lost any of that power. I still sit at the main menu sometimes just to experience that all again.

Simply beautiful.

Wow, definitely going to watch the entire orchestra on TV. Beautiful trailer.

I remember the first time I heard Baba Yetu and the opening music. It was complete euphoria. This performance brought back memories of that moment as if it were yesterday. Beautiful.

I'll have to show my wife this - we used the Civ IV coronation theme and Baba Yetu as the music in the church at our wedding. :D

I'm amazed how authentic it sounded performed live here...

Outstanding. I love that song and like a couple of others here have mentioned, I too will watch the opening all the way through just to hear it again. I was a little let down that the two soloists sang over the choir during the crescendos, but that's just me being picky.

Can't wait to see the whole thing.
F

Top Bottom