Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION V > Civ5 - General Discussions

Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:06 PM   #1
Justin 12345
Chieftain

Mod compatable?

Is there anyword on a way in civ5 to convert out mods to work with it? Or will we have to completely start our mods from scratch? Because i am releaseing my mod soon unless there is goinf to be a way to convert because then i will continue to add things until civ5
Justin 12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:21 PM   #2
killmeplease
Tsar

i am 100% sure that there will be no way to convert
Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:27 PM   #3
bjbrains
Man of U-235

Considering that it's a different engine, uses LUA instead of Python, and a different game with different rules.... No.
bjbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:43 PM   #4
Justin 12345
Chieftain

What about blender and nifs/kfms will they be the same or will i need a new program for that as well. And why no pyhthon? Now we all have to re learn a program
Justin 12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:42 AM   #5
paradigmx
Say yes to Steam

Because this isn't Civilization 4, just like Civilization 4 was not 3.

I don't know about the graphics side, but I know the reason for the switch from Python to Lua was more than likely a speed issue, Python is a much slower scripting language than Lua and with how many calculations go on in a civ game, the name of the game becomes efficiency.

Lua is actually very easy to learn, especially if you already know Python, which is a bit more esoteric in nature. Lua has very simple Syntax.
paradigmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 01:25 AM   #6
12agnar0k
Emperor

They confirmed you will be able to convert maps from civ4 but not mods for the reasons listed already.
12agnar0k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 07:56 AM   #7
The_J
Say No 2 Net Validations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin 12345 View Post
What about blender and nifs/kfms will they be the same or will i need a new program for that as well.
No idea.
They use another 3D engine, so they probably also use a new format.
But in general, Blender is THE free 3D programm, you'll probably be able to handle the 3D graphics with it.

Steam eats the souls of little gamers!!!
The_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 09:20 AM   #8
Le Sage
Emperor

I am so weird that I am actually happy that I get to do my mod all over again. I've been modding Civ4 since January this year and it has all been a big adventure, given me many pals and taught me a lot. I'm excited about getting to do it all over again with Fairy Tale 2. I am also really happy that I get to import some of my game maps into Civ5.

My Let's Play Channel Now Playing BNW!
Fairy Tale - Play Civilization IV in a detailed Medieval Fairy Tale/Fantasy world!
Le Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 10:15 AM   #9
Louis XXIV
Le Roi Soleil

I've always enjoyed the new takes traditional mods do with the new system. Having to start over allows them to rethink old things. Sure, it's more work, but I think it has positive results.

If you can convert old maps, however, it's already a positive step to the future.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 01:01 PM   #10
phungus420
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_J View Post
No idea.
They use another 3D engine, so they probably also use a new format.
But in general, Blender is THE free 3D programm, you'll probably be able to handle the 3D graphics with it.
They built the engine from scratch, so there is no telling. I'll wager Blender will still work for creating unit and building models though. Would be very nice if unit models ended up being portable straight across, but I doubt that.