Interview with Jon Shafer on RockPaperShotgun

ainwood

Consultant.
Administrator
Gaming Blog Rock Paper Shotgun's Quentin Smith sat down with Civilization V's lead designer Jon Shafer to find out how he went from Civ 3 modder to Civ V's lead designer in just two games.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/09/10/code-to-joy-jon-shafer-on-civilization-v

Also mentioned were some of Jon Shafer's influences, why tiles are so important to Civ, and why Civ V is the first Civ game to use hexagonal tiles ever. Jon also explains the unique role a designer at Firaxis plays.

It's more involving than you think!

Thanks to Tssha for letting us know!

Wow, I'm surprised you posted that verbatim. I'm humbled. :blush:

No, seriously, I'm really blushing. Thank you.

He sounds like a decent bloke, but not the kind of Roman candle of a genius that would justify holding a job that legions of history nerds, grognards and thousands of underemployed programmers would probably set fire to their grandmothers to get. And getting paid for it besides.

I speak from pure envy of course. :cry:

For everything I've heard about him, read about him and out of the interviews I gather that he is a very suited guy for this; I'm more impressed by him than I was by Soren Johnson.

Soren Johnson gave us a marvel of a game, a masterpiece in its kind. Undoubtedly, Jon Shafer´s Civ V will be different, a vision of a different kind. Yet, he is a pure child of the Civ series, deeply in the spirit of the game, and his enthusiasm shines in any interview.

I look forward to experiencing his take on my favorite game (it's been *gasp* 20 years constantly installed on my various computers). It is undoubtedly civ, yet seems also fresh and different. Embrace it with an open mind, and I'm sure Civ5 will reveal many new charms!

Now, if I could only decide on which of these myriad versions to preorder...

Good interview. I REALLY wish he'd explain how he went from being a modder to becoming the designer of Civilization 5 in more detail. I'm a political science major who does some small mods and wouldn't mind doing Civ VI, LOL. :p

Seriously, good interview. I'm looking forward to Civ 5.

In January 2005 he was a modder and an active member of the Civilization fan community. Today, he’s the Lead Designer on Civilization V, out on the 24th of this month.

I thought it was coming out on the 21st? When did this change?

In January 2005 he was a modder and an active member of the Civilization fan community. Today, he’s the Lead Designer on Civilization V, out on the 24th of this month.

I thought it was coming out on the 21st? When did this change?

I'm pretty sure RPS is based in the UK, hence the reference to the international release date which has always been the 24th.

Ha ha! We get it first! :king:

USA! USA!

Top Bottom