Civ5 Preview on The Escapist

Ginger_Ale

Lurker
Retired Moderator
The Escapist has recently published a preview of Civ5, complete with six minutes of game footage from their play session. The preview reads much like a story, giving a sense of what the game is like as it unfolds from the very beginning.

Crossing the mountain range to the north, I met the first civilized leader, poor Augustus Caesar. No amount of flattery or attempts at trade would crack his smile. Surrounded by finery such as he is, Augustus couldn't open his heart and mind to the Iroquois way of life. Perhaps that is why he attacked me with his legions, unprovoked and without warning. Caesar's armies took my great city of Grand River. Little did Caesar know that the Iroquois nation is blessed and that the first our many Golden Ages dawned soon after his treachery. It was the turn of the tide.

Ceasar sent his armies to Osininka, but the brave defenders bombarded the approaching hordes and my horsemen were able to send out sorties to attack and then fall back behind the city walls. His vanguard beaten back, cowardly Caesar offered a peace treaty, but I refused. Backed by the confidence that my Golden Age lent, I liberated Grand River and then turn the attention of my armies to Rome. Vengeance would be sweet.

My armies swelled the forests and hills approaching the Roman capital, but before I could sack that mighty city, Augustus offered me a final offer of peace and placated me with territory and riches. How could I refuse? I am fierce, but not cruel. I took Caesar's offer of the twin cities of Antium and Cumae and signed a peace with Rome that would last millennia. I built houses of law to teach my new Roman subjects freedom, and allow them to become productive citizens of the Iroquois nation.

Thanks to Scramble for the news tip!

>> Read the full preview

I don't like it in this way, it is ultimately a "I'm playing it and you're not!" thing. Argh! Two weeks! ><

I find the story rather amusing. Yes, indeed, poor, poor Augustus had a humiliating defeats by defeats at hands of Iroquois that forced him to make humiliating peace. Well, he deserved it for unprovoked attack. No wonder Romans had grudges against the Iroquois! It's almost like the Franco-Prussian War where France was humiliated by Germany (they were forced to cede Alsace-Lorraine) and became obsessed with revenge against their enemy for about a century (they would get it later in WWI).

Just watched the video. That accent is REALLY dodgy. :\

Quite good preview I guess. Love the role playing... (A long pause) ... Did he reached the industrial age before he crossed the ocean? :eek:

I'm getting a very strange Civ 3 vibe off this.

this was a very entertaining preview that also showed plenty with the vid.

now for me its the wait for the 21st to play the demo and then the 24th to play the full game.

need to go plan some stuff to do so i wont be just waiting for this to actually be released

this was a very entertaining preview that also showed plenty with the vid.

now for me its the wait for the 21st to play the demo and then the 24th to play the full game.

need to go plan some stuff to do so i wont be just waiting for this to actually be released

same for me, i hate the anxiety before games arrive, it use to rish my expectations to anomalous nivels,... no good :(

Iroquois rule the Globe. I love the graphics in this game. I also like how the leaders speak in their native language. What is strange, though, is that Ramesses II speaks Egyptian Arabic. Couldn't they make them speak Coptic? (which evolved from Ancient Egyptian)
I know that few of these leaders spoke the Modern variant of their respective language and I also know that the current Egyptians are mix between the Ancient ones with mainly Arabs and more peoples, still we know have two Arabic-speaking civs, just as we have two English-speaking. Gotta love how they made Montezuma speak Nahuatl, though (and boy he looks as fierce as he should be).

P.S.: Brussels is also in the game, as a minor city-state civ!

By the way, good job on the makers of finding an Iroquois-speaker. They're rare. I remember in a video that they deemed finding a Nahuatl-speaker challenging. I'm not sure which is harder to find of both (Iroquois or Nahuatl).

Top Bottom