SGOTM 12 Maintenance Thread

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter

BtS SGOTM 12 - Atonement

This thread gives you and the Staff somewhere to post about non-spoiler issues relating to the game. It is a way of communicating to the rest of the players outside your team, and with the staff about matters that affect your team or everyone. You can post about bugs, rule clarifications, problems with the roster etc., but please do not divulge information about your team's progress. Please subscribe to this thread so that you are kept up to date with new information as the game proceeds.

The team lists are at the end of this post.

The Game
The heavens split open, heat poured over the innocents, earth spew lava in anguish, light shone over the earth for a short moment. Then darkness, despair, suffering, torment. And death. If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the mighty one. Stalin had now become Death, the destroyer of worlds. And the people of Russia turned against him in disgust. Civil war broke out and the once glorious civilization shattered as a second wave of nuclear fire rained upon the land. Mankind is thrown back to the stone age, with only small bands of isolated stragglers wandering the plains in search of city sites free from pollution. The vast knowledge collected over the centuries is all but lost, with only fragments left for use. As the last piece of modern communication equipment fails, shocking news reveals that the former enemy civilizations were not wiped out as believed. The survivors managed to reach pockets of relative low radiation to re-found their capitals. And guess what? They have not forgotten. Furthermore, rumors are that Stalin survived as well, and who knows what technology he has access to?...

The good news is that you have managed to retain the knowledge of Ecology. The bad news is that the opponents have most certainly retained advanced knowledge as well, perhaps even nuclear technology.

You are Catherine, the leader of the new Russian civilization. You have to start all over again. The earth is covered in pollution, and all other civilizations are at war with you. You must make Atonement by clearing up ALL fallout, getting rid of Stalin, making peace with ALL other civilizations, and evacuating the earth.

Thanks for this scenario go to Erkon.

Timetable
In order to avoid clashing with the release of Civ5, the game will start on September 17.

The completion deadline will be January 20, 2011.

Game Settings

The Start:

Click for a bigger image.

• Speed: Normal
  • Difficulty: Emperor - but be warned. It may play a little higher that this :rolleyes:
  • Map: Standard, cylindrical, cold, low water
  • Opponents: The six civilizations from SGOTM10 (Churchill, De Gaulle, Mao Zedong, Roosevelt, Gandhi, Stalin)
  • Victory condition: Only space victory
  • Game Options: no random events, no barbarians, no city flipping from culture, no vassal states, no goody huts. Aggressive AI and rising seas are enabled.
Starting Conditions
Almost all of earth is covered by fallout. You are in contact with all opponents, you are at war with them, and they are upset that you have nuked them. The map is not the same as in SGOTM10. You are land connected to at least one of the AIs. The AI capitals are pre-settled. All biological units have died from exposure to radiation, except your settler. The fallout will not disappear by itself, and it is not possible to settle on fallout (due to a modified BUFFY)

Goals
To win the game:
  • All fallout must be cleared
  • Stalin must be defeated (dead)
  • All other AIs must survive and be at peace with the player when space victory is achieved.
  • Teams will not be penalized for events outside the team's control, such as:
    • one AI killing the other before the team has the opportunity to prevent it
    • one AI declares war on team after the launch
    • one AI launch a nuke after the launch ....etc.
    • any fallout that may appear on unreachable terrain does NOT need to be cleaned up.
The teams are trusted to fulfill the objectives to the best of their ability, and any AI related events that prevent the fulfillment of the criteria for winning shall be described and forwarded in a PM to Erkon or me for analysis.

Awards
Laurels will be awarded to up to three teams who accomplish the winning goals fastest (Ie by the earliest in-game dates).
Wooden spoons will go to the team who finishes the game (win or lose) with the lowest score.

Notes
  • Versions
    This game will be played in Civilization IV Beyond the Sword, version 3.19, using a customized HoF Mod 'BUFFY_SG12'. The installer for this special mod is available here. Unzip the downloaded file and run it to install BUFFY_SG12 into your ...\Beyond the Sword\Mods\ folder.

If a later BtS patch is released during this game you will NOT be able to use it to play. You will need to complete this game in BtS version 3.19 before updating your copy of BtS, or create and update a separate copy.

Mac players can only join in if they are able to run the Windows software on their system.
  • Rules and Procedures
    Please visit the Civ4 SGOTM reference thread to check out the rules and procedures to ensure that you are adequately prepared for this game.

All saved game files uploaded to the server are parsed through software that extracts and archives data about your save, including reload count for each turn set.
  • Spoiler information will absolutely NOT be tolerated in this thread.

Team Lists

It is possible that installing BUFFY_SG12 has reset the autosave frequency in your .ini file to its default - one every four turns.

It doesn't appear to have done it to me, but some players are reporting the change. So please can everyone check. It will be a text file somewhere like ....\My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\CivilizationIV.ini. Make sure it says:

; Specify the number of turns between autoSaves. 0 means no autosave.
AutoSaveInterval = 1

The starting saves are now available here.

A few reminders:

• ONlY download your own team save.
  • ONLY play forward from the Latest Save listed on the above page.
  • ONLY play the competition save when you are the team's active player.
  • ONLY play test games when you are sure they are not the live competition save.

Please contact me if you have any problems.

I can't open the save, what am I doing wrong? I get an infinitely brief message saying something about save file locked because of assets to protect the file, or something. I tried re-installing the BUffy-SG12 mod.

What do I try next?

LC, I the same problem with your save but I managed to load it after a bit of hassle.

If you run Asset Checker you will probably get a notice about two vote xml files, right? Are they stated as extra files? They did for me, so when I removed them, BTS could not start at all. Is this the same for you?

Try to reinstall BUFFY 3.19 as well.

What if you load another save that requires BUFFY_SG12, then exit (not to desktop), and then load the OSS save?

EDIT: just to clarify: I thought my setup was wrong, not the save as such. That's why I did not announce my problem earlier.

1. I opened another save that requires BUFFY_SG12. I extied to the main menu, then loaded the game save file and it crashed and burned again. I don't know anything about this kindof stuff, so I have no idea where the illogic is. I also don't konw how to run asset checker.

Hang on, first I'll try reloading BUFFY 3.19 as well.

You can download the asset checker from this page:

Download, install, run, look at results. Could give a hint of modified assets. It didn't help me much, but perhaps it helps you?

Thanks, Erkon. Problem fixed. I had made a new terrain file in the XML. Assets checker found it. Laid the original back over it and we're in business. Now it's time to clean up the mess you left us with... :p

It should be noted by everyone that during my play test, I never experienced any effects from global warming i.e. no terrain changes and no extra fallout. I did not check all tiles, but I would be surprised if any team run into issues with global warming.

@ Erkon
Can you please enlighten us, poor mortals, how you managed the "you nuked us" without launching a nuke?
And how you managed to give an AI a project?

This is surely nothing spoilerish, since any participant have already seen the save and it's now "acquired knowledge".

But it would be interesting to learn some WB tricks.
Provided you haven't WBuilt 6 ICBMs, launched, then eliminated the sight of the cities, there's always the project. Damn, it can be added in the city editor, it can't be hurried.
And i'm strong in WB.
Some string in the tile containing Stalingrad, perhaps?

Fallout is a terrain feature easily added in WB

I think it is spoilerish to answer those questions.
There's nothing not known, thus it isn't. The answers i'm lookin' for are only how to make certains things happen in WB. Using WB itself or a text editor.
Nothing more.

I suggest checking the Event Log... look for a bunch of red text circa 4000BC ;)
Dammit, the only thing i did not checked.
Usually there's nothing to read in 4000 BC... wrong.

You are assuming everyone knows where to look, in the game. :mischief:
In this competition, sure. Even if anyone can forget to look somewhere.

I got respect for my opponents.

A bit less for Erkon now i see what he did.

Guys, now it has happened exactly what I feared: you have helped other players with your "innocent" questions/advice. :cry: It doesn't matter if you are aware that it helps other players or not, it still helps them. Remember:

... The reason why I'm reluctant to reveal too much info in this thread (even if all these things will be obvious once you open the save) is that I don't want anyone to ask questions that are not scenario or rule related i.e. your strategic thinking may leak into your questions. Your questions may trigger thoughts in other teams that will help them :eek:. Please keep that in mind when you post. :D

This is surely nothing spoilerish, since any participant have already seen the save and it's now "acquired knowledge"...

Yes, it is spoilerish, since your questions reveal information that is not obvious to everyone. Likewise, the comment by kossin has helped you, right? Neither of these posts are acceptable in this thread. Period. Information gathering is essential in this competition. People do all kind of tricks to learn as much as possible to plan their actions better.

Well, the harm is done, the competition has become a bit more "friendly" :lol:, but let's stop here and go on playing. Anyone is free to PM me if you have these kind of questions, and I will answer them. Please respect the statement by Alan: "You can post about bugs, rule clarifications, problems with the roster etc". No more spam, no more debates, no more arguments.

A bit less for Erkon now i see what he did.

That's uncalled for.

Erkon has tried to create an interesting and challenging game. This game starts with a history of previous world conflict, and the traces are in the archives.

That's uncalled for.

Erkon has tried to create an interesting and challenging game. This game starts with a history of previous world conflict, and the traces are in the archives.

I do think any info from the live save should be banned here. Teams are fishing for information. Others seem to be freely giving away this info to other team.

Is this thread for possible game issues or a help thread to ensure teams don't miss info on the live save. You would think with the raft of emp/imm or deity players here every team would be quite capable on reviewing the save.

I do think a stop to this needs to be done now before some spoilers ruin the fun of the games for others.

Top Bottom