Google Earth Civilization 2.0.0 coming soon

chrissifniotis

GoogleCiv 2.0.0 coming...
Original GoogleCiv Thread

The first major update of GoogleCiv is currently in production. For those who are not aware of Google Earth Civilization please click the thread link above to understand fully what this is. This update takes place next to the release of Civilization V and adds new and updated maps and plots to new wonders and civilizations which will be explained in detail. The time it will take to complete this second download will be a few months due to the time it will take to complete to newly rendered map polygons, even though about a quarter of the maps are complete. The full list of the additions and updates so far are;

• Fixed problems from the original GoogleCiv release.
  • Updated maps of the original civilizations in 'higher resolution'.
  • Updated Wonder information from Civilization V.
  • New Wonders introduced from Civilization V with information and history.
  • Introducing Natural Wonders into the current layers from Civilization V with information and history.
  • Adding a new 'Siam' layer, differentiating from the 'Khmer' layer.
  • The newest 'Songhai' civilization layer!!!
  • Updated maps for the GoogleCol extra layers.
  • New Natural Wonder from 'the New World' DLC; Cerro de Potosi.
  • The next newest civilization layer; 'Polynesia'.
  • The nexter newest civilization layer; 'Denmark'.
  • New layers for the City-States.
  • [NEW!] Following the stalling that occurred during 2.1.0, Google Civilization 2.2.0 will slowly release with all new updated plots and information to accommodate the Civilization V expansion 'Brave New World'.
  • After a considerable number of layers release, I'll start to consider adding new possible plots from Civilization III.
  • At some point I'll start to trial changing the icons to images from Civilization games.

The last release of GoogleCiv unfortunatly had a few errors about the placing of some wonders and mapping of a few period maps, those errors have now been rectified.
The maps from the original iteration were created very quickly, using the view that the maps enlarge out to. Now the maps are re-rendered with a view at a set distance from ground level, not only meaning that the maps are far and away more detailed, they now produce realistic borders between other nations.
The old World and National Wonder information will be injected with the new Civilization V information! :)
The new World Wonders will be plotted and given the usual Civilization information and histories to each, including designating the wonders to the appropriate civilizations.
Natural Wonders are also going to be added to the layers, also with their Civilization V outputs and histories on their discovery and any effects they caused in history.
And of course, introdusing the 37th civilization to the 'Pantheon of Civlization', the Songhai - rivals of the Malinese Empire during European Colonization of Africa. The 'Songhai' layer will be included into GoogleCiv 2.0.0, as it should, it must! Included into it will be the map of the empire's greatest extent, and its capital city according to Civilization, ie. the first Songhai city built in game.

P.S. The easter eggs in the downloadable set, known as GoogleCol - the addition set of layers for the Colonization visuals, are also getting updated maps.

P.P.S. On a whim, I'm also adding the City-States from Civilization V, providing the city extent, border polygons also in appropriate colours, and both Civilization and historical information.

Update Progress; as of 11/07/2013
Awaiting Brave New World for new and updated information, 3 complete layers so far...

- Wow I totally suck, eight months of doing nothing, I mean 'working hard on other...things.....yea......that'. Obviously updating the layers with new plots and rejiggering the info. In the meantime, while not occupied with other tasks and projects I'll be completing more polygon maps, but now I'm reaching the point where the polygons are so large that a week may no longer be a reasonable deadline to complete a layer, I'll repost this in a later reply but each layer is now likely to come out every two weeks due to the size of their maps. Also, as part of the revamping to the new content I'm looking for a guy or girl out there willing to try out a test layer for the next update, if you like to take part just give us a reply or PM and I'll send you the details and the layer for testing. The update will also include new layers I complete before the update is released, three new ones are done so far so sit by the box for more info to come...

Google Civilization 2.1.0 - American Layer
Google Civilization 2.1.0 - Austrian Layer
Google Civilization 2.0.0 - Aztec Layer
Google Civilization 2.0.1 - Babylonian Layer
Google Civilization 2.1.0 - Chinese Layer
Google Civilization 2.0.5 - Danish Layer
Google Civilization 2.1.0 - Dutch Layer
Google Civilization 2.1.0 - Egyptian Layer
Google Civilization 2.1.0 - English Layer
Google Civilization 2.1.0 - Ethiopian Layer
Google Civilization 2.1.0 - French Layer
Google Civilization 2.1.0 - German Layer
Google Civilization 2.0.7 - Hittite Layer
Google Civilization 2.1.0 - Indian Layer
Google Civilization 2.0.0 - Iroquois Layer
Google Civilization 2.1.0 - Japanese Layer
Google Civilization 2.0.6 - Korean Layer
Google Civilization 2.1.0 - Mayan Layer
Google Civilization 2.0.4 - Polynesian Layer
Google Civilization 2.0.0 - Siamese Layer
Google Civilization 2.0.0 - Songhai Layer
Google Civilization 2.0.3 - Spanish Layer
Google Civilization 2.0.7 - Sumerian Layer
Google Civilization 2.1.0 - Swedish Layer

Spoiler :
Full list of updates;
America - 2.1.0 Released
Arabia - Map to be updated, adding new information <Next update - 1 new plot>
Assyria - Layer to be created
Austria - 2.1.0 Released
Aztec - 2.0.0 Released
Babylonia - 2.0.1 Released
Brazil - Layer to be created
Byzantium - Map to be updated, adding new information
Carthage - Map to be updated
Celtica - Map to be updated, adding new information
China - 2.1.0 Released
Denmark - 2.0.5 Released
Egypt - 2.1.0 Released
England - 2.1.0 Released
Ethopia - 2.1.0 Released
France - 2.0.0 Released
Germany - 2.1.0 Released
Greece - Map to be updated, adding new information
Hittite - 2.0.7 Released
Holy Rome - Map to be updated
Hun - Layer to be created
Inca - Map to be updated
India - 2.1.0 Released
Indonesia - Layer to be created
Iroquois - 2.0.0 Released
Japan - 2.1.0 Released
Khmer - Map to be updated, -? plots
Korea - 2.0.6 Released
Mali - Map to be updated <Next update - 1 new plots>
Maya - 2.1.0 Released
Mongolia - Map to be updated
Morocco - Layer to be created
Netherlands - 2.1.0 Released
Ottoman - Map to be updated
Persia - Map to be updated, adding new information
Poland - Layer to be created
Polynesia - 2.0.4 Released
Portugal - Map to be updated, adding new information
Rome - Map to be updated, adding new information <Next update - 1 new plot>
Russia - Map to be updated, adding new information
Shoshone - Layer to be created
Siam - 2.0.0 Released
Sioux - Map to be updated
Songhai - 2.0.0 Released
Spain - 2.0.3 Released
Sumeria - 2.0.7 Released
Sweden - 2.1.0 Released
Venice - Layer to be created
Viking - Map to be updated
Zulu - Map to be updated

British America - Map updated
New Netherlands - Map to be updated
Visroyalty of New France - Map to be updated
Visroyalty of New Spain - Map to be updated

City-States - City plots to be updated

Ding ding ding! The seven new civs gives us fifty layers. 50! 50! 50!
50!
GoogleCiv 2.0.0 (15489 turns) 240000/500000 :c5production:

That is cool :)

This is great news.

[BUMP!] Update as of 1/11; changing the colours of the improved civilizations, seraching for two wonders, considering adding city states.

It's looking very good so far. :goodjob:

Hopefully by the time this is out, Civ5 will be much improved. I'm just not enjoying the game like the previous titles in the series. :(

Hey, what about Siam? Or have they been absorbed into the Khmer?

For the case of Siam, they will be absorbed into the Khmer set of layers, due to the given leader and Unique Building.

And for the record, yes, I will add City States in their own set of layers, not dissimilar to the GoogleCol extra layers.

[BUMP!] Update as of 12/3; new colour schemes added, creating Polynesia layer, City State layers added, new Cerro de Potosi natural wonder;

So far, so good! A good deal of maps has now been updated, most importantly will be, amongst others, three distinct map changes;
Firstly the British GoogleCol map; 'the Thirteen Colonies' will be changed to 'British America', as a measure of the full scope of the British sphere in the New World.
Secondly, as some people cited during the introduction to the first iteration, the "over-expansion" of the United Kingdom of the Netherlands has been fixed as has the history on the map. My apologies for my over-cite from before.
Finally, I am about to redesign the Egyptian map from what was originally the modern borders to the maximum expansion set by good ol' Ramesses II during the New Kingdom era of Ancient Egypt. The history will also be revised to proclaim a little more history of Egypt than first placed into the layer.

That and the updated first post is all the updating I have to give you, I'll check in next time with more news. See ya later! :goodjob:

[BUMPBUMP!] Update as of 10/4; three new World Wonders from Civilization III have been adde to the GoogleCiv layers.

As I said in the update, I've added Cambridge University and Coperncus' room in Frombork as the Civilization III Wonders Newton's University and Copernicus' Observatory. The location for JS Bach's Cathedral is still being determined because of his constant changing of locations during his lifetime. Help from the community about his most famous and remembered works will be greatly appreciated, but for the most part I'll be looking for them myself and then determining the best plot to place as the wonder.

After this is set, I'll start on the Songhai and Polynesia layers.

Update as of 3/5; Polynesia, Siam and Songhai layers have now been added to Google Civ 2.0.0, completion of all three will been in a day.

Finally I've stopped the rest of the maps to work on the new layers, and tomorrow, Polynesia, Siam and the Songhai will have full entires into GoogleCiv 2.0.0. Siam may take a while longer to correctly affix the Wonders.

Any screenshots? ;)

Ah, that's a good idea. I have been taking screenshots of the most recent changes. [EDIT] The seven screenshots are, in order;

- the United States of America, displaying the new colour schemes of the layers. Each Civilization V civ layer have the colours of the plots, labels and polygons styled as close as possible to the Civilization V colour schemes.

- the Great Barrier Reef, displaying the new Natural Wonders. Each Natural Wonder is marked by a flag icon, with the exception of this wonder, using the water icon.

- the Pyramids, displaying close up shots of each city and wonder. World Wonders, like the Pyramids, are displayed by a thick circle icon, National Wonders are displayed as an icon shaped like an inverted drop with a black circle inside.

- the City State of Belgrade, displaying the new City State layers. Like the civlization colours, the City State colour are as close as possible to the colours from Civilization V. City State plots are displayed as a black hexagon icon and with label coloured in the city state colour.

- Bradenberg Gate, displaying the new plots in the layers. Old World and National Wonders have had their Civilization Stats updated to the current Civilization V stats and the new Wonders and cities now have the same information from Civilization V and brief histories.

- Persepolis, the capital of the Persian Empire, displaying the close up shots of Capital cities. Like the Wonders, the Capital cities have the best overhead cityscpaes, using the 3D buildings and terrain of the map. Capital Cities are displayed as a star icon in the primery colour and the label in the secondary colour. Some views are not great and other are spectacular!

- the Polynesian Expanse, displaying the newest civilizations. Polynesia is one of currently three civilizations added into GoogleCiv, the newest DLC with Denmark will also be added as the aquisition of the DLC is made.

Attachments

• America.jpg
    America.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 1,433
  • GreatBarrierReef.jpg
    GreatBarrierReef.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 1,258
  • Pyramids.jpg
    Pyramids.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 1,291
  • Belgrade.jpg
    Belgrade.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 1,209
  • BrandenburgGate.jpg
    BrandenburgGate.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 1,133
  • Persepolis.jpg
    Persepolis.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 1,080
  • Polynesia.jpg
    Polynesia.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 1,073
Ah, that's a good idea. I have been taking screenshots of the most recent changes. [EDIT] The seven screenshots are, in order;

- the United States of America, displaying the new colour schemes of the layers. Each Civilization V civ layer have the colours of the plots, labels and polygons styled as close as possible to the Civilization V colour schemes.

- the Great Barrier Reef, displaying the new Natural Wonders. Each Natural Wonder is marked by a flag icon, with the exception of this wonder, using the water icon.

- the Pyramids, displaying close up shots of each city and wonder. World Wonders, like the Pyramids, are displayed by a thick circle icon, National Wonders are displayed as an icon shaped like an inverted drop with a black circle inside.

- the City State of Belgrade, displaying the new City State layers. Like the civlization colours, the City State colour are as close as possible to the colours from Civilization V. City State plots are displayed as a black hexagon icon and with label coloured in the city state colour.

- Bradenberg Gate, displaying the new plots in the layers. Old World and National Wonders have had their Civilization Stats updated to the current Civilization V stats and the new Wonders and cities now have the same information from Civilization V and brief histories.

- Persepolis, the capital of the Persian Empire, displaying the close up shots of Capital cities. Like the Wonders, the Capital cities have the best overhead cityscpaes, using the 3D buildings and terrain of the map. Capital Cities are displayed as a star icon in the primery colour and the label in the secondary colour. Some views are not great and other are spectacular!

- the Polynesian Expanse, displaying the newest civilizations. Polynesia is one of currently three civilizations added into GoogleCiv, the newest DLC with Denmark will also be added as the aquisition of the DLC is made.

This is really great. I'm glad you added the multiple layer system. I think this is a grand idea.

Thank you, and yes, I quite like the ability to split the civs into their own layers. It's excellent to have that ability, it makes it easier.

Just a quick heads up, the three new civilizations are done and I'm back to updating the old maps, but there is a big concern; given the size and/or possibly the position of the polygon, or maybe even the properties of it, the polygon mapping the complete Russian expansion is causing problems with Google Earth causing it to go all grey screen and crash. As I map more expansions I'll be reaching the largest and most detailed of them all, Mongolia. I'll update on how the Mongolian and Russian maps are going every so often in an attempt to isolate the problem is and most importantly mend it.
:hammer:

Top Bottom